Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

calf injury/pain - suggestions?
Quote | Reply
there's a generic subject line for you. Here's the whole story:

4 years ago, Eagleman, perfect taper, everything great, I'm out on a "loosen up" run the day before and all of a sudden it feels like someone shoots me/stabs me extremely deep in my calf. Deep as in maybe my soleus, not my gastroc, but maybe my gastroc, I'm no physiologist. My wife is a PT and works on it for hours that night, I do the race and hobble the run, but quite honestly in not that much pain, just a little bit of "hurt". Took maybe a couple weeks (maybe less) off and had no problems the rest of the year in various short course stuff, another half and an IM.

Fast forward four years of absolutely zero problems then out of the blue this fall, I'm on what was going to be a 8 mile run and at around 3 miles, same thing...ice pick in the calf. I try to run through it with stretching and rubbing but "no go" and I walk back home. The next couple days are so painful, I can barely walk. Wait a few weeks everything back to "normal" have a couple runs of various lengths no problems. Then last week, near the end of a run, I get a little twinge but finish the run. Sore but not the "oh my god, someone is killing me by shooting me in the calf until I succomb to insanity" pain of the other incidents. I try to run the next day though and the pain is almost instantaneous, so I stop and call it a day. I've been off for a week and had my wife work on it every night with deep tissue massage & tons of stretching. Just got back from my attempt at a lunch-time run and wham! at around one-mile same thing happens.

Again, this is really deep in my calf, maybe my soleus, and kind of located more to the outside so that if you "dig into" my leg from the outside between my gastroc and soleus you can get to the spot (and make me cry). Going straight at it through my gastroc from the back gets a similar teary-eyed response, but not as intense. It's only about an inch or so below the outside bony part of my knee. I'm reasonably flexible, have absolutely zero problems with it on the bike (I could go ride right now and road into work this AM), run in a POSE-style way of landing pretty much mid to fore-foot (and have for the last 2+ years).

My next planned step is to try A.R.T. unless someone has a better idea? I also just came off of my "off-season" of September-October and have not done anything too terribly intense since August and would like to start legitimate training again for IMOZ in April.

Thoughts/advice PLEASE!!

Thanks!

Don
Quote Reply
Re: calf injury/pain - suggestions? [don] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bump...please? ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No solutions I am afraid, but I have been suffering something simalar. I fell off my bike a few days before a big race leading to a tight spot in my right calf . After the race both my calfs were pretty shot - but this is generalls happens to me after a tough race.I then spent the next few days walking all day around Sydney in a very stiff manner. I had a few other races soon after and my calfs stiffen up fairly soon after I started running. I then had almost a month off running and although the general stiffness in my calfs went I was still left with the tight spot on the right side. I had a weekly massage and it was picked up there that one area kept remaining stiff. Although it was still tender during massage, I was suprised that as soon as a started some light running it flared up straight away. It fairly deep and very annoying as I really want to start building my running up, but if it hasn't cleared up after a month of running how long will it take?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you are working on all the right things - massage, ART, stretching. It may be that you just have to take some time off to get it healed. Sorry to say that as it really sucks. Calf and AT's are very tricky. I have chronic problems there now and manage them with time off, massage, ice, stretching, shorter strides, good shoes and Celebrex.

Quote | Reply
Don, I've been fighting the exact same thing, it seems. Very similar responses, symptoms. I've been suffering with it, just during runs, for about 6 months now. It seems no better. 1.3 miles into a run, and cramps. The massage therapist has found many knots of scar tissue, and has tried, but not much success breaking it up. I've done the weekly deep-tissue, stretching, TP massage Ball, and am now looking into ultra-sound and muscle-stim. Please let me know what you find out, as I'm anxious to get back at it too. I'll keep you in mind when I find the right combination.

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Quote Reply
Re: calf injury/pain - suggestions? [tri-3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had to take 120 days off to get mine healed.