Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Workstand Recommendations
Quote | Reply
I'm looking to invest in a workstand and was curious if you guys had any recommendations. I've been looking at the fork mounted workstands but not sure how well those would work with tri bikes and bottom bracket mounted brakes.

Thanks!

If people can see you from the front you're not aero enough.
Quote Reply
Re: Workstand Recommendations [Lamchop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use my Park Tool PRS- 20 with my Blue TRIAD SL. Even worked with my Scott Plasma 2 with a rag there to protect the fin on the bottom bracket shell. It's a great stand that I have built or maintained many bikes on it over the years. Mine is at least 10 years only and still works like new. I have the heavier steel leg version just because it never leaves my house and is more stable.
Last edited by: Juanmoretime: Nov 25, 16 11:54
Quote Reply
Re: Workstand Recommendations [Juanmoretime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I too have a Park, but the newer version, had no problems with any bb mounted brake.
Agree that the steel base version is a much better device to use due to stability
Quote Reply
Re: Workstand Recommendations [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you work on your BB mounted brake while it's in the stand as well?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went with a less expensive stand and it's worked great so far, and that includes a P2 and heavy steel fat bike.

Bikehand Pro Mechanic Bicycle Repair Rack Stand https://www.amazon.com/...cp_api_0vkoybRGWDG1Z
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lamchop wrote:
Can you work on your BB mounted brake while it's in the stand as well?

Yes, brakes are mounted on the stays, not the BB.
They are more correctly known as under the BB brakes.

You can always scoot the frame a little sideways and rest it on the chainring for better access.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I have an old, soft leather belt that I loop over a support beam on my garage door. I run it underneath my saddle and buckle the belt so the bike is suspended at the right height. Perfect for maintenance and cleaning. No cost and takes up no room.
Quote Reply
Re: Workstand Recommendations [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone seen the Park Tool stands on sale anywhere?

Various cheaper options get mixed reviews, and seem to have plastic/resin parts at key locations whose long-term durability seems suspect.

Nashbar has some other stands included in its current sale, but not the Park Tool ones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Best stands on the market are Feedback. Take a look at their lineup.

https://www.feedbacksports.com/product-category/premium-work-stands/

BoulderCyclingCoach.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a pretty basic one I got on amazon, but it gets the job done. In my opinion it definitely beats trying to work on a bike w/o a stand, as I did for many years!

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lamchop wrote:
I'm looking to invest in a workstand and was curious if you guys had any recommendations. I've been looking at the fork mounted workstands but not sure how well those would work with tri bikes and bottom bracket mounted brakes.

Thanks!

Keep in mind I am space limited in my travel and journeys. But actually yes I use my Wahoo Kicker as the workstand and use my media cart as a workbench. I found the workbench I bought for $50, it goes up and down easily, ended up being a great workstand. Just put a towel on top, lay out the tools, and it has wheels so rolls nicely. Up and down function is great if I am down on my knees and then move to standing and vice-versa.

1 min read on workstand: http://www.thomasgerlach.com/...ling-stand-desk.html

I had the Park stand and Feedback stand at one time, but they took too much space for my situation. I like this little guy to, I would use it specifically at races to keep the car from getting scratched up, but in the end, I left it somewhere and never replaced it.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: Nov 26, 16 5:32
Quote Reply
Re: Workstand Recommendations [rockdude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rockdude wrote:
The Best stands on the market are Feedback. Take a look at their lineup.

https://www.feedbacksports.com/product-category/premium-work-stands/

I have a Park PCS-10... but planning to get a Feedback Sprint next
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Tacx spider workstand (fork mount and also rear drop out mount ability). Was pretty cheap about 10 years ago when I bought it and it has served me well all these years.

"Suddenly the thought struck me. My floor is someone elses ceiling"-Nils Ferlin
Quote Reply
Re: Workstand Recommendations [audiojan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you have a wide aero seat post , the feedback might not work well. The clamp faces the stand and you wont be able to mount with out the stand being in the way. It will still work if you use with the arm in the folded position but your frame will still be too close to the stand to turn your pedals. And its not the way the stand was made to be used. These stands are for round posts or for clamping the frame.
Quote Reply
Re: Workstand Recommendations [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any issues with the height of the bike? I'm a fairly short guy at 5'6 and curious how tall the bike would sit on that style of stand.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Feedback Sports Sprint Stand https://www.feedbacksports.com/shop/sprint-work-stand/

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Workstand Recommendations [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a feedback sports sprint. Works fine with a Shiv with rear brake behind the BB.
Quote Reply
Re: Workstand Recommendations [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reopening this after a year...

I want a stand for very occasional use, so cheap. I had a monster Park stand with the steel base that I sold last year. Now I am about to do a couple drivetrain upgrades, and that is infinitely easier on a stand versus on the floor.

My one key requirement is that it needs to be able to clamp on a very wide aero seatpost on my Felt IA.

Toefuzz, after another year, are you stil loving this economical stand for $90? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D9B7OKQ/

Anyone else have any other inexpensive and compact stands you recommend
Quote Reply
Re: Workstand Recommendations [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So far so good! I’ve had tri bikes with aero seat posts, mountain bikes, gravel bikes, and heavy fat bikes on it and have never had an issue with stability or any pieces failing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have one of the work stands that mounts on the fork (or rear dropouts) and cradles the BB. Overall it works great and I like how easily it folds up and can be stored in the corner of a room or in your car. For 90% of mechanic applications, it works the same way as any other type of work stand. But here are the differences I see compared to a work stand that clamps the seat post.

Pros:
1. 360 degree movement of the bike without moving the stand. Great if you have your seat and your tools in one spot and you want to work on both sides of the bike. But more importantly, never underestimate the issue of having to work on one side of the bike, and your beer is sitting on the table on the other side of your bike. Staying closer to your beer, and swiveling the bike instead is always the better solution.
2. Don't have to remove lights, saddle bags, or anything else attached to your seat post every time you want to rack the bike. Also don't have to worry about scratching your seat post. Yes, you have to remove the front wheel every time, but removing saddle bags irritates me far more. YMMV with this.
3. Doesn't matter what type of seat post you have. But I don't ride tri/TT bikes anymore, so not an issue for me. It was prior, which was the biggest pro for me when I bought this stand.

Cons:
1. If you want to adjust both brakes or the pads in relation to the rim for both wheels, you have to flip the bike on the stand and add/remove each wheel in the process. This is by far my biggest issue with this type of work stand.
2. If you have through axles, you need an adapter, and if you work on bikes that have both thru axle and traditional QR dropouts then you have to constantly add/remove the adapter. I just got a MTB with thru axles, but haven't had to work on it yet...so I'm sure this may move up to #1 on my issue list soon. YMMV if you have bikes with thru axles.
3. If you have bikes with externally routed shift cables, or if you plan to wash your bike on the stand, it's a minor PITA to get to the area under the BB. You can still get it done, just a minor inconvenience as it requires one hand to hold the bike up off the cradle.

For these reasons, my next work stand is going to be one that clamps the seat post. Probably put my beer in a camelbak to solve the biggest issue.
Last edited by: Jason N: Feb 6, 18 13:16
Quote Reply