Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best IMH coverage in years!
Quote | Reply
We are about an hour into NBC's IMH coverage, and I'll have to admit that this is pretty good coverage. I have been universally unimpressed in recent years, but this ain't so bad, folks!
HC

---------------------------------------------------
Holden Cain, ObGyn..."People pulling people out of people"
Quote Reply
Re: Best IMH coverage in years! [holdencain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always kind of enjoy the coverage so this time has been no different. It's wierd but I noticed that Badmann changed her glasses after the bike. She went from Oakley zero s's I think and then went to M frames. That's pretty specific equipment if you ask me.

berndog
How did we all get sucked into this crazy sport anyway?!!
Quote Reply
Re: Best IMH coverage in years! [berndog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GO BLAZEMAN.......,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just finished watching and after years of watching the IM, it is still AMAZING...............what a journey.....
Quote Reply
Re: Best IMH coverage in years! [Saltamontes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great coverage all round.....John Blais, you sir are to be congratulated and I believe you will be the inspiration for the next generation of able bodied athletes and challenged athletes alike.

Great job by Sarah also.

AJ
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We thought it sucked, but hey, different strokes...

I guess we're just spoiled by Tour coverage.
Last edited by: jaylew: Nov 12, 05 15:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed. Kudos to WTC and NBC. The coverage of the pro race was the best in years. Even though we all( people who follow the sport) knew what was going to happen, they actually showed what went on in the professional race as much as they could and the special features were kept to a minimum. Not to diminish the importance of the latter, it's just that in recent years the features tended to dominate the show. Great job all round! I was really impressed. As usual the editing, cinematography and the music were all great.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Best IMH coverage in years! [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Agreed. Kudos to WTC and NBC. The coverage of the pro race was the best in years. Even though we all( people who follow the sport) knew what was going to happen, they actually showed what went on in the professional race as much as they could and the special features were kept to a minimum. Not to diminish the importance of the latter, it's just that in recent years the features tended to dominate the show. Great job all round! I was really impressed. As usual the editing, cinematography and the music were all great.

Fleck

OMG, this is a shock to me. The Blais ALS coverage was about 5x what it needed to be, and all but a few bits of the music were horrendous choices. Robbed the drama. Agreed about the pro coverage and cinematography. From my post in the other thread:

"Let me be the first to say it... pro coverage/content was great, but the presentation was HORRIBLE. HORRIBLE. D+ at best. Looked cheap, conveyed (and inspired) little emotion, was very disjointed. Far too much time spent on ALS, too little organization/dramatic build up for Sara R's finish.

"Last year was *infinitely* better (though still w/ flaws). It grabbed and held the attention of those not interested in the sport. I've shown the DVD to many such people. This year, even I could barely watch it without heading toward boredom, and I definitely won't buy the DVD.

"So, so disappointing.

"Memo to the editors/producers... better soundtrack, less time spent on any single challenged athlete (unless the story is as compelling as Sara R), build more drama around the pain of the race. Better luck next year."

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Re: Best IMH coverage in years! [Aztec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aztec,

I have the perspective of watching this show now on and off for 20 plus years and believe me there have been many highs and lows. Some years the special features and the I-Had-to-deal-with-so-much-adversity-to-get-here stories actually took up the whole show! The racing seemed like an after-thought. Or how about 1992 when Canadian Julie White finished second in the women's race and recevied zero coverage on NBC! Not even a mention.

I have come to expect stories like John Bais's. It's almost become a cliche. Nothing wrong with it. Some years they go a bit overboard some they don't. This year I thought it struck a really good balance.

What they continue to miss is that fact that this is the most competitive long distnace triathlon in the world for both pros and age-groupers. It's not just special-interest stories racing behind the pros, it's some of the best multi-sport athletes in the world who are mothers, fathers, sisters, bothers, husbands, wives, go to work types who train their butts off year round. This aspect of the event has NEVER made it onto the air.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Best IMH coverage in years! [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What was wrong with the soundtrack? U2 was on at the end. If you want good music, put your Ipod on or go to a concert -- don't flip on NBC's Kona coverage for it. I thought that cinematography and pro coverage was excellent. There were a lot of cool overhead shots of FAS on the bike and, much more so than in the past, they really covered the pro race from start to finish (how cool was it hearing NS teeing off in German!). They had all of the key passes on as well. I agree that, despite being a compelling story, they had far too much of the ALS guy (btw, what was the deal with the hand paddle on the swim?) and thought that they had the right amount on SR (it is well within NBC's capabilities of hitting us with a full 30 minutes of her). I also agree that, for once, NBC has to spend some time on the people who have full time jobs and/or families who still manage to find time to train their asses off and crush Kona. There are a lot of them in that race and those people are the bloodline of what makes the race so special. If Kona were just 100 pros, not that many people would pay attention (how many people followed the World ITU Championships?) It is the fact that everyone knows someone who was there and competed against many others during the year who raced there. How about some coverage of them?
Quote Reply
Re: Best IMH coverage in years! [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
What was wrong with the soundtrack? U2 was on at the end. If you want good music, put your Ipod on or go to a concert -- don't flip on NBC's Kona coverage for it. I thought that cinematography and pro coverage was excellent. There were a lot of cool overhead shots of FAS on the bike and, much more so than in the past, they really covered the pro race from start to finish (how cool was it hearing NS teeing off in German!). They had all of the key passes on as well. I agree that, despite being a compelling story, they had far too much of the ALS guy (btw, what was the deal with the hand paddle on the swim?) and thought that they had the right amount on SR (it is well within NBC's capabilities of hitting us with a full 30 minutes of her). I also agree that, for once, NBC has to spend some time on the people who have full time jobs and/or families who still manage to find time to train their asses off and crush Kona. There are a lot of them in that race and those people are the bloodline of what makes the race so special. If Kona were just 100 pros, not that many people would pay attention (how many people followed the World ITU Championships?) It is the fact that everyone knows someone who was there and competed against many others during the year who raced there. How about some coverage of them?

The music? Music is CRITICAL to establishing tone! They get an F for that. For example, how about that happy pappy insincere background theme that ran throughout. It was a bit like the way Island Breeze utterly stoned the drama (crowd went slient) when they took the stage in the final hour at the race finish line. As soon as the DJ went back to playing things like The Killers and YMCA or whatever, the crowd woke right back up w/ emotion. Ahh, but you have your iPod...

Yes, U2 was great. They should stick to that wherever possible. Same for that song that I don't know the name of, very aggressive rock, sounds like the lyrics are something like "I won't be ignored." That was solid.

And Fleck, agreed. Your point matches up w/ what Mag900 wraps up w/, too.

Here's the bottom line. For something like this, you need to make it seem *important*, difficult to reach, extremely difficult to finish. They failed. It looks like you just get to sign up, push hard for the day and get your ledal. When I saw those late finishes live, it looked like a life/death struggle for some of them. Convey that in the show! Last year, though still lacking in core content, was much much better from this standpoint.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply