Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Post deleted by tburg [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: tburg: Nov 12, 05 13:32
Re: Help, My wife doesn't get it.. it's not just a hobby!! [tburg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure if they can help, but I can guarantee that is there is anything in this thread you don't want your wife to read, you should delete it now. Guaran-damn-tee you within 24 hours your identity will be known to the world. That is the way the internet works. Some people will even go out of their way to make sure your wife sees this just to be mean. People you don't know and who don't know you. Again that is how the internet works.

----------------------------------
Justin in Austin, get it? :)

Cool races:
- Redman
- Desoto American Triple T
Quote Reply
Re: Help, My wife doesn't get it.. it's not just a hobby!! [tburg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you ride without a bike seat?

(joking).

Get your priorities straight dude. Family first. Find out why your wife doesn't support your hobby, and try to fix it. Do you support what she does? If she cannot swim, perhaps she can do a duathlon.

As others have said, mend the family wounds first. A few years down the road, you won't regret it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve said this many times, get married to SOMEBODY WITH THE SAME INTEREST, if you’re an athlete why would you marry somebody that is not interested in your sports,hobbys?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you have things going your way, but noone can have it all!!!

I have a wife, three kids under 6, a dog and a full time job. I also enjoy training, racing and the health benefits that go along with it. You should have more energy now to spend with the fam and make them happy.

After I made my original reply I went and napped a bit with my 1 year old son on my chest. I probably could have used a long run today, but your post reminded me that there are some things much more important than training, times and improvement. Remember that it is the tri shop that is earning the money by providing a service to the community, not you the triathlete by training compulsively to go longer and get faster. Read about the successful shop owner in earlier post.

This is a complete shot in the dark, but it sounds like your wife may have reached out to you by working at the shop in the first place. Go see a counselor with her and let an unbiased qualified person determine what course of action to take. My wife is awesome, understanding and supportive of my training, but we made a deal that it wouldn't interfere with family and if it ever did that family would take precedence. It has worked for us, and I am happy. You don't sound happy.

How do you describe yourself generally? Selfless or Selfish? It really sounds like you have things really going your way and I am envious of your life situation. Make the wife happy today, the tri mistress will still be there later. Make the tri mistress happy today and you might be liquidating your shop and paying alimony instead of entry fees. I'm a psych major, but no psychologist so I'll end here. Good luck man. I'll be praying for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can not offer advice since I am divorced, but I have noticed that you have posted 15 times in this thread in 3 hours. Where has your wife been during this time?
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Jason D [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: Jason D: Nov 12, 05 14:31
Quote | Reply
Tburg,

I think most everyone is on your side. If you are in a bad situation, get out of it. If you are in a good situation and are just being selfishly unhappy...snap out of it.

The horns are winning 49-0 in the first half so that is too boring to watch. Just thought I'd throw that in:-) Does that still count as OT?

I want an update thread on your situation, often. I cannot be the only person who wishes you and your family well. Life is about balance, and everyone loses it once in a while. I might have been leaning a bit towards your side of balanced before I read your thread. Thanks again for the eye opener. I have benefitted from it, as will my family.

Thanks Tburg.

Hookem
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Since you are divorced do you see my side of this?

My divorce had little to do with my triathlon training. For the most part my ex-wife and I just grew apart. Also it was getting more and more difficult to come home to a pessimist every day. Due to the dynamics of sharing a life with someone else my workout consistency was not the best. She complained some about my training, but she is a life long athlete and the fact that I did something athletic is part of the reason why she was attracted to me in the first place.

Now that I am divorced, I am training much more consistently than I ever did during the marriage. I am really enjoying it. IF I ever get into another serious relationship I will make sure that she understands how passionate I am about triathlon and understand that it is far more than a hobby to me. It is a way of life.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's my .02.

Like someone else above said, delete all your posts unless you want to get caught.

Stop by the flower shop on the way home.

Good luck in sorting it out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmm. Pretty heavy thread. It's like watching a friend walk through a mine field.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Help, My wife doesn't get it.. it's not just a hobby!! [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the best thing he did was delete his posts.
Quote Reply
Re: Help, My wife doesn't get it.. it's not just a hobby!! [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn, I was enjoying it...

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next