Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Completing an Ironman with Parkinson's Disease [newguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi
I’ve been diagnosed with Parkinson’s since March 2016 and have just entered my first IM for October 2018 and I’m intending to do 10 triathlons in between as part of the training build up , this will range from uk into Europe eg Spain, France and Denmark.
I also am planning to do this self sufficient ie drive there and stay there in my works van.
I’m doing this to raise awareness for Parkinson’s and to give people hope and the knowledge anyone with any disability can do something.. So if anyone can help me spread the word of this challenge this would be greatly appreciated.....It can be done !
Hope this answers your question
Kind regards
Peter Clarke
Quote Reply
Re: Completing an Ironman with Parkinson's Disease [Strongboe1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Peter, I am in same boat as you. Would love to have a chat. When I search for Parkinson's and IM all I get is people doing it for charity. And most of the people who have PD seem to think a 5 mile bike ride is a long way

I will also try to pm you....

Julian
Quote Reply
Re: Completing an Ironman with Parkinson's Disease [newguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis of Parkinson's disease. While I am not a doctor, and certainly don't take this as medical device, movement in my opinion is one of the keys to life. That doesn't necessarily have to be a full Ironman but it could still involve swim, bike, and run. At the end of the day it will be up to you to decide what you can and cannot do. While I don't suffer from PD, a whole lot of my own symptoms overlap (ear related, think balance) with PD. Part of the reason, I haven't done any professional races this year is because I just don't think it is worth it health-wise at the current moment, but that doesn't mean I stop moving completely. In fact, I have done a few triathlons this year and still kicked some butt, but the reality is, for the time being, I have changed my goals and desires about what I want to accomplish. Just something I have had to accept.

The hard part of diseases (or aging) that you can't see, is that while you adjust your expectations it doesn't mean your training partners or friends do. It is easy to see a friend who is recovering from knee surgery or a bike accident and understand. But for something we give no thought to until it is gone (i.e. balance) it isn't easy for others to understand when we still appear relatively healthy on the outside.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Completing an Ironman with Parkinson's Disease [jay clock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Jay
Ive just got your message, how are you getting on?

I completed my first Ironman Triathlon in October this year 2018.

If you still want to chat about anything please contact me here or email me at retroretep@outlook.com.

Kind Regards

Peter Clarke
Quote Reply
Re: Completing an Ironman with Parkinson's Disease [Strongboe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just checking in.

For those recently diagnosed, and those living with Parkinson's for a long time, best thing you can to is keep moving!

I was a YOPD at age 25 but at the time considered too young to have Parkinson's. That was 1983. I had maxed out my medication and had DBS (deep brain stimulation) in 2016. It helped with my dreaded on/off medication (I took meds every three hours, 90 minutes I could do anything...). I still need medication, but can keep going until my next pill time.

Over the years I've gotten to meet some incredible people. One lady, at age 50 wanted to run a marathon once diagnosed. 17 years later she is still running marathons.

At age 60 I decided to learn to run last year, spurred on by friends who are marathon runners. 5K may not seem like much for this group, but I learned to run! I can do a 10K. I'm still taking meds but found the runners high (which produces dopamine allows me to keep going).

I finished a Sprint Triathlon. Just learning to swim, need to work on endurance but best medicine it to keep pushing yourself. Just want to pop in to let you all know what a great inspiration you are!

Keep moving!
Quote Reply

Prev Next