Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What is wrong with you roadie triathletes? [mdbockmann] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No offense to others but with that I'm feeling too honest around here (no matter how ironic could this sound..)

http://twitter.com/krepster || http://www.pedro-gomes.com || follow all the action on facebook
Quote Reply
Re: What is wrong with you roadie triathletes? [giuseppe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We are talking of a ITU race here... it's not like I can scratch it just like that. I've goals.

http://twitter.com/krepster || http://www.pedro-gomes.com || follow all the action on facebook
Quote Reply
Re: What is wrong with you roadie triathletes? [Klep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought you were talking about us slow guys ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are over generalizing.
Quote Reply
Re: What is wrong with you roadie triathletes? [Jason D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
You are over generalizing.
Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NP.

I've seen people cheat in Xterra races that I have done as well, so keep that in mind next time you race one.

There are cheaters in every sport and some people accept it and some people complain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have my brother drive the course in his Lexus as I draft off him. It's awsome.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: What is wrong with you roadie triathletes? [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad to have you back - that is f...ing funny.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think most of us accept it for what is. A paceline is the great movable object. It sucks well intentioned riders into it's black hole. They can still ride legally faster with less effort. And then it sweeps up the next rider with the same results and the next....Newcomers to the sport have to get used to seeing the phenomenon, because it's not going away. If the sight of massive pacelines bothers some, then they should stick with the smaller local races where there's a reasonable amount of competitors. 2,000 leaving all at once is too much and drafting in some form will be unavoidable. 200 is just about right.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's the point of road triathlons even if there is drafting?

1. You can go faster on a road bike than a mountain bike even if you are a novice cyclist like me, and going fast on a bike is fun. Although I might have drafted illegally off a truck this year, I generally do my best to follow the rules and enjoy the races even if I see someone else that might be cheating.

2. The majority of the races in your area might be "road triathlons", and the most important criterion for me in selecting a race is whether I can wake up in my own bed, drive to the race and be back by noon or 1 PM after doing the race.

3. If you are clumsy like me, you are a lot more likely to fall down and hurt yourself in an XTERRA race.

4. The regular triathlons are plenty of fun and give me a good enough reason to ride a trainer during the winter and run outside with a couple inches of snow on the ground or a -15 chill factor out there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Mostly? We tend to tolerate dumbshits who troll discussion boards.

Defensive much?

Those were real questions. I'll restate them because you don't seem to get it.

1. If you cheat, as many of you do, what do you get out of the experience?

2. If you don't cheat, why bother with race fees, since the results are so clearly bogus?

1. the percentage of people that actually cheat during a race is slim to almost none is most of the races that i've ever done. there is some...but people tend to forget that you're racing yourself, not everyone else out there. At least at long distance and MOP...which is most of the people on here (to keep with the overgeneralizations).

2. why bother with race fees. hmm...i'm going to start with closed roads, the joy of competition, the support (food, drinks, police, first aid, etc). the other people that you get to meet at the events.

if all you're worried about is your finishing time and that sort of shit, go do the race by yourself on your own time.

if you're in it for the experience, it's worth paying the money for. maybe at some point you'll realize that there are other things to life than splits and finishing times.

"Anyone can work hard when they want to; Champions do it when they don't."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fair enough - discussion is always welcome.

Personally, I race b/c I love it. I'm not there to win anything. I have, quite unexpectedly, placed in my age group a couple times. It was great. How would I feel if I knew for sure the chicks ahead of me cheated to win their spot? Pissed. But, I'd still enter races, regardless. I don't consider it a waste of $$. It's an event. I pay for the Experience. And I think it's worth it.

The cheaters will Get Theirs. Karma. I believe that.

So, then, why do you think off-road is devoid of cheaters? What do you base this assessment on? I'm just curious?

NEVER kick the kitty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I meant proverbially. I have kitties, too. They rock! Actually, one just barfed up a hairball so I gotta go..............

Mahalo!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
My momma taught me to make sure my own house was clean and not worry about everyone else. What'd yours teach ya?
Right, but that still doesn't answer why you'd sign up for an event you knew would be full of cheaters. As I asked before, why not just train for your own race? You pick the course, do it all by yourself, and time yourself. That way you get all the satisfaction of completing an "iron-distance" race, or whatever distance you choose, and none of the negative feelings of dealing with cheats. Not to mention exhorbitant race fees, booking travel, etc.
Because the cost of doing it solo would include losing the benefit of 4000 volunteers and the company of 1800 honest athletes, just to get rid of 200 cheaters?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I second what most everyone else has said for there reasons for doing them. And besides the fact that only a small percentage of people cheat, the fact is that only a tiny percentage of races is it even an issue.

You read about a few of the big time races on here like IMFL where it is so prevalent. The overwhelming majority of races are small, local or regional races that draw a few hundred people or less, and typically go off in waves of 50 or less. I've been racing tri's for 20 years and in only a handful of races has drafting been much of an issue.
Quote Reply
Re: What is wrong with you roadie triathletes? [skid777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never drafted - its a personal thing. As to the racing - its a personal challenge for me - I'm not going to win, and the battle is against the distance, not others.
Quote Reply

Prev Next