Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: LBS Cut my Steerer Tube w/o my knowledge or Permission....Now What? [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pooks wrote:
Bravo, not everyone can so subtly post a pic of their $14k bike. But you do it with such panache.

Fuck, so insanely jealous.

I didn't see the small print till just now... LOL.

FYI... paid $3600 for the frame/bars... and took all components/wheels off my old bike. Posted to show the flush headset cap. Didn't really mean to brag...
Quote Reply
Re: LBS Cut my Steerer Tube w/o my knowledge or Permission....Now What? [Donzo98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Donzo98 wrote:
Didn't really mean to brag...

Totally understandable. With a bike like that it just comes naturally... ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: LBS Cut my Steerer Tube w/o my knowledge or Permission....Now What? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
So last spring I got a fit; I was happy with the service provided communication, the information learned, and I got a detailed report to go with it. The fit, however, was poor and I told the fitter that during the fit. I have shoulder problems and have to ride a very unaggressive aerobar setup. I told him that even during the fit, I could barely hold my position for a couple of minutes without shoulder pain. The response was essentially, if you want to be aero, deal with it. I thought maybe I just needed more time in new new position. My riding was poor this season as I couldn't even hold my position in a sprint triathlon without pain. I finally realized how silly this is and that being "aero" doesn't mean anything if I'm not comfortable and can't even hold that position so I need to address the fit. However, my primary issue/question relates to something else...

After the fit was done, little did I know that the shop cut my streerer tube without my knowledge or permission to "fit" the fit I had been given. I didn't even realize the tube was cut until recently (this is something that should have been obvious to me before, but cut me some slack on this!!) after I had tried several other aerobar setups this year to try to fix my fit issues. I came to realize that no matter how many above the bar risers I added, it still wouldn't work and then looked at the streerer and talked to another shop who confirmed it had been cut.

Fit aside, do I have the right to be upset about the cutting of the steerer without first discussing this with me or is that something a bike shop ordinarily does without asking the customer??

If so, what can I reasonably expect them to do to address this issue?
Not sure if this was my shop or not (just seeing the DFW part), and if so, we are happy to work with you on the fit but do prefer when there are fit issues that they are communicated within a month or two. We are super, super helpful when we're allowed to be. :)

One thing I'd like to note - I, personally, don't believe there is a strong link between shoulder comfort and aerobar height, outside of extreme cases. I think, assuming the back angle is orthodox, most shoulder limitations are from aerobar limitations. An aerobar option that allows for wide armpad placement and armpad rotation is key (Profile Design, in my opinion, makes the best option if adjustability is paramount). Additionally, being able to angle the extensions can also relieve shoulder pressure and discomfort. Not to say that yours isn't a case where any of those options will work, but just wanting to point out there are lots of options to alleviate shoulder discomfort that don't necessarily involve raising the armpads.

The problem is that your shoulders hurt and it prevents you from holding aero, not necessarily that the armpads are too low. That's the point I'm trying to make.

On the steerer tube - I don't know if anything destructive (it's likely the cut wasn't destructive, as others have pointed out) was done but I think it's generally good practice that a shop cutting a steerer tube would deserve a customer's input and awareness. That said, we've done rash things before and, unfortunately, are likely to do rash things in the future.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Re: LBS Cut my Steerer Tube w/o my knowledge or Permission....Now What? [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the input; this is helpful!
Quote Reply
Re: LBS Cut my Steerer Tube w/o my knowledge or Permission....Now What? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think many shops would cut a steerer of a bike after a fit if they thought the person was happy. Letting a bike out the door with an inch of spacers above the stem doesn't look particularly good.

If you're stem isn't flipped up, just flip it up.

As someone else said, you could always ask the shop for a compromise, like a new fork at cost.
Quote Reply
Re: LBS Cut my Steerer Tube w/o my knowledge or Permission....Now What? [Runless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A bike shop should never cut a steerer tube without the customer's agreement, period. Yes, there are bikes they sell off the shelf that's already have the steerer tube cut, but we are not talking about that.

Even if the shop fit you, and you are happy with the fit, just to be cautious, a good shop will let you "settle" into that fit, and only AFTER that, they would cut the steerer tube. The reason is simply, everyone knows once the steerer tube is cut, it's non-reversible.

To the OP, the shop own you a new fork, plain and simple.
Quote Reply
Re: LBS Cut my Steerer Tube w/o my knowledge or Permission....Now What? [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is interesting to me - my P2C hasn't been under the knife at all, and if anything I've got less flexible/comfortable with a low front end so, as I enter my twilight years, my front end is getting higher :o)

Tririg have a run out deal (115 bucks) on the Sigma N35 which (as the name suggests) gives 35mm of rise, coupled with aerobar risers gives you a good bit to play with, which is the way I've gone. I like the integrated bottle cage bolt holes and it's a nice piece of bling. Scored some secondhand Profile Aeria bars too, I kid myself that I will ride enough and gain flexibility to get the front end slammed again one day.

It does seem a bit off for your LBS to cut your steerer without asking, but then if they did the fit, and thought you were happy with it at the time...?

Good to know about the dangers of too many spacers. Never heard of that one before, but kinda makes sense with the increased leverage/bending moment. I shall need to be careful with future set ups...
Quote Reply

Prev Next