Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is Ironman Arizona Boring?
Quote | Reply
I have an early entry opportunity for IMAZ 2017.

I had initially wanted to do this race to have an IM PR.

Seems very flat and not at all pretty views from what i've read. Add that there are a several loops... so is the race "boring"?
Last edited by: Reactions: Oct 25, 16 14:41
Quote Reply
Re: Is Ironman Arizona Boring? [Reactions] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done IMAZ and many others. If you get bored easily then yes, otherwise no.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another way to look at it is that you won't be distracted by scenery, allowing you to stay focused on the task at hand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm hoping it's more fun than riding it on the Computrainer. Although after doing the 70.3 there recently, I can honestly say I'm looking forward to a more "boring" course. I think the run will be kinda fun with multiple passes through the start/finish area.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Ironman Arizona Boring? [mdm81] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes it's boring.
No- It is not that fast either.
(Worse if windy or hot. Either is possible.)
Also Phoenix sucks.

The only positive about the race is that it is only 90 miles from where I live.
This advantage is completely irrelevant, hower, because I can't get in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was bored. Even with the torrential downpours.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The swim and run are fun. The bike is boring. I live here and won't train on the bike course.

Don't listen to anyone from Tucson's opinion about Phoenix. They hate our city and we hate theirs. It has always been that way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you are focused on racing - its not boring because your brain is going thru so many calculation, numbers... etc.
you will not remember anything about the scenery during the race. you will actually see the course during your recon.

Retul Certified Fitter. gebioMized Pressure Mapping http://www.PedPowerPerformLab.com.
Retailer of Wahoo Fitness, Sable Water Optics, Enve Composit, Giro and more.
Zone3 USA Ambassador - use code DEAN25 for 25% off
http://www.OasisOne-Twelve.com - The ultimate hands free hydration system.
https://www.athlinks.com/athletes/19354499 - results.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like it. The desert is pretty. The run is cool with all the eye candy from ASU hanging around.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All IM's are boring. If they aren't you're probably doing it wrong

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't think it is boring at all, so many people around the whole day. Plus, and this is my opinion, the bike is so tight you need to pay attention and concentrate, staves off boredom.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reactions wrote:
I have an early entry opportunity for IMAZ 2017.

I had initially wanted to do this race to have an IM PR.

Seems very flat and not at all pretty views from what i've read. Add that there are a several loops... so is the race "boring"?

If you find yourself bored at a race, you are not going hard enough. Push it hard and it doesn't matter where you are.

But in all seriousness, It's a fun race.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Is Ironman Arizona Boring? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't find it boring. I live in the Houston, TX area so the scenery of the IMAZ course was a nice change of pace. It's not Whistler by any stretch of the imagination but I didn't mind it.

The bike course is also not as flat as everyone thinks it is. I think I had 1500' of climbing which pretty much all comes in the 6-7 miles to the turn around on the Beeline (three times, of course). You know you're going uphill to the turnaround. It's not like it's a false flat or rollers or anything. It's certainly not a difficult climb at all but it's not a 112 mile flat race track either.

By the second and third laps the course is crowded so you won't get bored passing and dodging people. It was never super crowded to the point I thought it was unsafe.

The winds can also be fun to deal with. The year I did the race it wasn't particularly windy but the wind direction shifted on every lap.

I liked the run. There was a lot of spectators. It got a little lonely on the back side of the run course but I think they got rid of that part of the course. There was a hill that we did 3x that's no longer part of the course. That hill kind of sucked.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Oct 26, 16 5:14
Quote Reply
Re: Is Ironman Arizona Boring? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
There was a hill that we did 3x that's no longer part of the course. That hill kind of sucked.

Hill is still there...except now you only do it twice.

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Re: Is Ironman Arizona Boring? [TriBodyboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriBodyboarder wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
There was a hill that we did 3x that's no longer part of the course. That hill kind of sucked.

Hill is still there...except now you only do it twice.

Thanks for the clarification.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not my cup-of-tea, but my standards here, are courses like Ironman Canada (Penticton), Ironman Hawaii, Ironman Wisconsin and Ironman Lake Placid - all beautiful, scenic and challenging in their own special ways.

I did not really understand the allure of a course like IM AZ until a number of years ago when I was standing in the VIP area and I was talking to a woman and her family and how THEY loved it because they could see her husband so many times during the race! It may be the most spectator friendly IM course in North America - for certain people, I am sure that is an attraction!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:

Truest comment ive read all week.

2x Deca-Ironman World Cup (10 Ironmans in 10 days), 2x Quintuple Ironman World Cup (5 Ironmans in 5 days), Ultraman, Ultra Marathoner, and I once did an Ironman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having done 20+ IM's and doing IMAZ for the 5th time in a few weeks, I find it no different from all the courses I've done. It has its moments but it is very family friendly.

No the swim isn't like Hawaii where you see lots of fish. IMLOU you see horses, IMCDA, IMC, IMBoulder, IMLP, you see mountains. IMAZ you see desert, mountains, strip malls, and cactus. The run has much more people cheering than any IM I've ever done given the three loops around the lake.

What makes a race exciting for you? Scenery, people, etc?
Quote Reply
Re: Is Ironman Arizona Boring? [chuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chuy wrote:
desert dude wrote:

Truest comment ive read all week.

I disagree. I get that that during a race, and even for a MOPer like myself, you're pushing yourself and probably mostly so focused on racing and proper pacing that you get tunnel vision and really don't see much around you. With that being said, I think I little bit of scenery on the bike and a run with some crowd support and some nice views (chattanooga over the pedestrian bridge I think is great) is nice. Does that mean I won't do what might be considered a "boring" race? No. It can be nice to have some momentary distractions on the course. On the run at IM NC, somebody had their beagle out holding him saying "pet the beagle for power". That's not boring. That's fun.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Ironman Arizona Boring? [summitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just got in yesterday for IM AZ 2017. It was this or Santa Rosa since Im a wine club member. I chose AZ because it's more family oriented and close to where I live (SoCal).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:

So I am not supposed to write songs about people in my head during a race.

Ohh, white tri-suit
Got nothing to hide
Got nothing to hide

Ohh, white tri-suit
Got nothing to hide
Got nothing to hide

At the very least you can critique other peoples equipment or fit, or are you saying that slowtwitch is boring?
Quote Reply
Re: Is Ironman Arizona Boring? [summitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
summitt wrote:

Good question. I've only completed one ironman race and that was lake tahoe. It was definitely a gorgeous swim i mean epic. surrounded by mountains and being in clear water you can see through to the bottom was amazing. also the bike course was pretty in many spots and the run was held on the trail surrounded by pretty trees and water.

But in general i love scenery as my favorite races - escape from alcatraz, donner lake 1/2, oceanside 1/2, etc. seem to have scenery of some sort.
Last edited by: Reactions: Oct 26, 16 9:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reactions wrote:
summitt wrote:

Good question. I've only completed one ironman race and that was lake tahoe. It was definitely a gorgeous swim i mean epic. surrounded by mountains and being in clear water you can see through to the bottom was amazing. also the bike course was pretty in many spots and the run was held on the trail surrounded by pretty trees and water.

But in general i love scenery as my favorite races - escape from alcatraz, donner lake 1/2, oceanside 1/2, etc. seem to have some edge of views of some sort.

Yeah, my only IM was Lake Tahoe. The swim was so epic I'm having a hard time imagining getting through that shit hole Tempe Town. Such a difference in swims.
Quote Reply