Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Carbon Tire Levers on Kickstarter [gralden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a composites scientist, I would suggest to you to use unidirectional tape prepreg instead of different plies of woven 2 * 2 carbon cloth. Your cloth will be way more expensive than UD prepreg and will result in a product that is unnecessarily heavy and inefficient.

When you use a woven cloth, remember that the fibers in the fill direction will not be contributing towards the strength of the lever when subjected to load during the removal of the tire. So if you use multiple plies, which are expensive, you are using multiple plies with fill fiber that adds weight without contributing to or improving mechanical performance. If I were you, i would only use two woven plies, i.e. the outside plies with a few UD plies in between. With UD, you can make it lighter, stiffer, and cheaper.
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon Tire Levers on Kickstarter [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ben,

Thank you for the input, this is great to have, and I totally agree. I have actually been looking unto the UD carbon for the same reasons you mentioned for these levers, as you are correct, the part's function really lends itself to using the method you brought up.

Being that I have several other projects I am working on, I just went ahead and ordered one type of pre-preg carbon to do all my initial work as it was cheaper to get a little larger quantity if I only bought one type of carbon for all these projects.

Thank you again for the input, Glen
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon Tire Levers on Kickstarter [clydecat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had decided to buy a set, but the shipping is $10 (to Germany) for a $20 set. I think I will pass.
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon Tire Levers on Kickstarter [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi All,

Just in case no one has seen the carbon tire lever Kickstarter project I re-launched a little over a week ago, check out the link below if you get a chance. I listened to others on what would be a better cost for a set of levers and sorted out how I could make this happen.

Thank you to those that have already supported this project. Glen

https://www.kickstarter.com/...evers?ref=nav_search
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In for 4, thanks for the reminder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reminder, I picked up a pair as well.
Quote Reply

Prev Next