Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Found a crack in my helmet - Now What..?
Quote | Reply
Guys/gals,

I just got done with IMFL and upon unpacking my stuff, i find that my helmet has a crack in it. The crack appears to be in the middle portion of the front of the helmet right between the eyebrow area. The helmet that i am using is the Giro Atmos. The cracked portion is in the foam but the part where the "carbon" is, does not seem to look like it was stressed in any way. Has anybody had this happen to their helmets..?

I have not dropped my helmet or been in a crash (well, at least not crashed with this one). I've only had it for abt 5 months and it was a replacement helmet from my other crash that i had posted on this site.

I plan to call Giro to see what i they can do for me as a replacement, but i would like to know if this helmet is prone to having cracking problems (possible manufacturing defect..?). I'd hate to fork out more money for a helmet especially since i just got this one.

Paul

Paul..
Quote Reply
Re: Found a crack in my helmet - Now What..? [Paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
now what? you go buy a new one.

the crack will compromise the strength and effectiveness of the helmet. if you crashed tomorrow and your brains fell out, you'd be really sorry you didn't listen. :P

take it back to the shop where you bought it, or call Giro and bitch up a storm. if nothing happens, ce la vie, buy a new one immediately.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Buy a new one. Isnt safe to ride with a cracked helmet.

http://twitter.com/krepster || http://www.pedro-gomes.com || follow all the action on facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the foam is cracked, you need a new helmet. Wearing a cracked helmet is zero protection for your head. The Atmos is an expensive helmet to replace, but there it is.

Is it possible that the helmet was packed tightly in a bag full of gear? The stress of zipping up a tight duffel bag (squeezing the helmet from side to side or front to back) could crack it. It's not designed for those kinds of stresses. Is it possible a baggage handler tossed your bag several feet somewhere between the baggage check and the plane? That impact could be enough to cause it to crack. If that's possible you might have a case against the airline (good luck) but not against Giro.

On the flip side, 90% of athletes wouldn't bother to check their gear closely enough to realize that their helmet was cracked. Even though it'll cost you some bucks, consider yourself lucky that you saw it before you needed it.

Lee Silverman
JackRabbit Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

The crack appears to be in the middle portion of the front of the helmet right between the eyebrow area.

I just had to replace my Pneumo with a crack in the same spot. My coach said Giro's are known for cracking there. Yep, you have to replace it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After unpacking my bike box from New Zealand I found a crack in my Pneumo in the same spot. I have also heard they are prone to crack in that spot. If the foam is cracked it is shot. I tried to get a new one from Giro, but no luck... last Giro I bought...
Quote Reply
Re: Found a crack in my helmet - Now What..? [Floater] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
had Giro's for many years - including Pneumo's and Atmos'

Never had any problems -if you get a new Atmos - consider using the helmet pod it comes with for transportation and travel. I always carry mine on as hand luggage when I fly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yo Paulie,

You probably cracked it from all that wind resistance you put it through going so fast on the freaking IMFL course, I saw you riding at the turn around but couldnt catch up to you.

Dan

I have horrible back problems but I have zero problems staying in an aero position for 180k. Why? Because I ride steep and because I train regularly in that position. Simple as that.....Gerard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Giro has about 6 cracks in it from 3 different cross crashes. I don't race in it anymore but do use it for training as I normally don't wear a helmet, it still is better than that. With the internal roll cage holding it together you still get just about full benefit as the foam is not compressed. How do I know, well crash 2 and 3 were very hard and no worse than a full on head shot for all you boxers out there. There is no one under the sun to recomend the above, and it's your head, use it wisely.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
guess that's why they came up with the 'pod'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have beat the tar out of my Atmos without a single problem. Maybe the thing got crushed somewhere in your luggage or whathave you.

One thing for sure, I (and the helmet's owner's manual, and the manufacturer's website) recommend you should replace it. The Giro Atmos is a racing helmet optimized for light weight and ventilation. It is not meant to last forever or be super durable- one hit, boom, it's dead. Then you replace it.

Giro (Bell Sports- same guys) used to have a pretty generous helemt crah replacement policy. but the costs of litigation and insurance as well as more advanced helmets have driven that up substantially.

Now, if you want a little more durable and significantly less expensive helmet that actually weighs less than the Atmos try the Bell Furio. They are $59.99 MSRP and you can find them on line on sale for $39.99 pretty frequently. The micro shell on the Furio is more study than the skeletal micro shell on the Atmos. There is more EPS (expanded poly-styrene) too, so the helmet had less vents than the Atmos and isn't quite as "trim" and low profile as the Atmos, but still very aero (maybe more aero than an Atmos since the Atmos has all those drag-producing vents).

Remember, the racing stuff we use is fragile and lightweight. It isn't necessarily optimized for lifespan. Also, with safety equipment like helmets, parachutes, climbing harnesses and SCUBA regulators it is always best to err on the side of safety. It is the reason I am still alive.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's a thread on cracks in the Pneumo

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...d&jump=forum%3D1

Interesting post on the thread was:

In Reply To:
I called Giro customer service today, and they told me that they are aware of the cracking problem but they haven't issued a recall for two reasons:

1) they've tested helmets with the crack in the front between the nubs, and they claim the helmet is not compromised, so there's no reason for a safety recall (this doesn't comfort me, though).

2) Giro claims that when people hear about the problem, many people actually crack the helmet in the process of looking for cracks (riiiiiiight).

In any case, they referred me to their toll-free consumer customer service line and told me that, in some instances, they will replace the helmet free of charge. By the time I called, they were closed for the day, so I'll try them tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Re: Found a crack in my helmet - Now What..? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
THe thing that's so funny about Bell/Giro is how one has a great replacement policy, and the other's sucks. Bell will send you a new one for about $30, while Giro gives you "20% off a new Giro helmet"...

Any idea why that is?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it's a defect Giro will replace it for free. Send it to them for inspection.

http://www.verynooty.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Be thankful the crack was not in your head.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You sure you didn't tie one on the night after the race and go naked bike riding and stack it into a lightpost (I wouldn't ask if I didn't know what that was like...)?

"Maybe you should just run faster..." TM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like the crack in your ass, you are stuck with it. Quit bitchin' and get a new one.
Quote Reply
Re: Found a crack in my helmet - Now What..? [Brent F] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thats right..! I remember reading about the crack problem that the Pneumo had. That's why i stayed away from the Pneumo and decided to go w/ the Atmos.

I definitely will not be riding with that helmet until i have a talk w/ Giro. Being a crash survivor (which resulted in a concussion, I personally know the dangers of riding with a fully functional helmet.

The thing is, i just don't remember ever knocking the helmet on anything and i have always transported the helmet in its pod. I even drove down to IMFL instead of flying, so where the F--- could the crack come from..?!? I wonder how long i was riding w/ that crack..?

So, basically, i know i'm stuck w/ it unless Giro can give me a free replacement (yeah, riiiiight..). With this bad experience w/ the Atmos and the problems w/ the Pneumo, i dunno if i am willing to keep shelling out this kind of cash that frequently. Maybe it'll be a good time to check out the Bell line of helmets. Any suggestions..? How does the Sweep helmets hold up and how comfy are their fit..?

Paul..

Paul..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife and I sent our 2002 Pneumo's back to Giro last year for the same type of crack. They replaced them with new Pneumo's with no hassle and very quickly and even let us choose our colors. Cost me $8 to ship them to them. We were extremely pleased with their service.
Quote Reply
Re: Found a crack in my helmet - Now What..? [Uncle Phil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sell it on Ebay. Some suckah will give you decent bucks for it. ;-)

T.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
as Tom said check out the Bell Furio helmets, dirt cheap and damn nice helmets. The Atmos is a super light race helmet, just like light bikes they wear out. The Pneumos on the other hand practically come with a crack straight from the factory...
Quote Reply