Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kona and IMFL
Quote | Reply
So,
Last year I raced IMLT, then 8 weeks later IMAZ. That's where I qualified for Kona. At Kona is year, I raced much too conservatively. Long story, I won't bore the crowd. So, I'm not feeling fatigued at all. It's possible I could swing the time off work to race IMFL this year. Am I kidding myself that 4 weeks is enough recovery(45-49) to race? I've taken a full week off, eating poorly and drinking beer. Enough. Ready to get back at it, but wondering if I'd be better off running an open Mary or
some other challenge.
Thoughts?

Thanks,

Rick

Only those who risk going too far can find out how far they can go...
Quote Reply
Re: Kona and IMFL [strtezbckoff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am going to race austin 70.3 on 3 weeks rest, did not work out last year when i tired to race 3 weeks post IM but maybe this yr will be different? Def of insanity........So by my logic F it and go for it! Like you trying to cut back on beer and chocolate, but i am failing at the moment, whole foods fresh ground peanut butter is my downfall.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know what you;re worried about. Ryf smashed Roth and then backed up only 1 week later to win another IM.

Anything less than a podium in your AG and I'll be dissapointed. Backing up is the new black.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
strtezbckoff wrote:
So,
Last year I raced IMLT, then 8 weeks later IMAZ. That's where I qualified for Kona. At Kona is year, I raced much too conservatively. Long story, I won't bore the crowd. So, I'm not feeling fatigued at all. It's possible I could swing the time off work to race IMFL this year. Am I kidding myself that 4 weeks is enough recovery(45-49) to race? I've taken a full week off, eating poorly and drinking beer. Enough. Ready to get back at it, but wondering if I'd be better off running an open Mary or
some other challenge.
Thoughts?

Thanks,

Rick
In 2014 I did Chattanooga and IMFL about 4 weeks apart and in 2015 did Louisville and IMFL which were 5 weeks apart. In both cases the second race went as well or better than the first and all were all out qualifying efforts. I like this approach since you can essentially do two races off of one training block vs one in spring one in fall which requires two huge blocks. The key for me was not running for about 10 days after the first race then building back up to about a 100 minute long run. I think my longest ride between them was 4 hours. You don't need much. Good luck with it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You won't know of course until you do it but if you were conservative then yes

I assume you are very well trained so it was just a long training day

After my KQ race this year I was feeling very fresh two weeks later - after Kona , I am still half dead

Good luck

Cheers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stubleski did it last year. 8:38 at Florida for him IIRC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Joe Bonness used to race back to back Ironmans in the fall as if they were sprint triathlons.

http://www.ironman.com/...s.aspx#axzz4NRZW0GgU

Check this for guidance on bridging Ironmans with a short gap:

http://www.endurancecorner.com/...ging-ironmans-redux/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
strtezbckoff wrote:
So,
some other challenge.
Thoughts?

Thanks,

Rick

How will you get in to a sold out race?
Quote Reply
Re: Kona and IMFL [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It looks like there are still some Foundation slots.
I may have read that wrong.

Cheers,

Rick

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I say you should definitely race IMFL. But only if you stop using the phrase "open mary".
Quote Reply
Re: Kona and IMFL [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Done.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2013 I did Kona, then 14 days later Austin 70.3 and then 6 days later IMFL. Posted about it here: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...and_Sub_9!_P4846452/

Let me know if you have any questions.

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Re: Kona and IMFL [@BW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@BW_Tri wrote:
2013 I did Kona, then 14 days later Austin 70.3 and then 6 days later IMFL. Posted about it here: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...and_Sub_9!_P4846452/

Brad - yep, I have some! What is your normal recovery period for an IM? Do you normally recover within 2 weeks so a HIM within that timeframe was no big deal? Did you take specific actions to accelerate your recovery? Did you FEEL that Kona was impacting the subsequent races?

I'm asking because I usually take 3 wks easy before I start to train again, but next fall I'm looking at a IM-HIM combo with 3 weeks separation.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona and IMFL [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
@BW_Tri wrote:

Brad - yep, I have some! What is your normal recovery period for an IM? Do you normally recover within 2 weeks so a HIM within that timeframe was no big deal? Did you take specific actions to accelerate your recovery? Did you FEEL that Kona was impacting the subsequent races?

I'm asking because I usually take 3 wks easy before I start to train again, but next fall I'm looking at a IM-HIM combo with 3 weeks separation.

What is your normal recovery period for an IM?- I would say 2-3 weeks before I really start feeling normal again. I tried to do Wanaka and IMNZ double this year, 14 days apart and I paid for it down there.

Do you normally recover within 2 weeks so a HIM within that timeframe was no big deal?- I did Austin just to take a whack at getting a worlds slot early and out of the way. 2014 was going to be a rough year as I was deployed in December/January, and so I was behind the power curve for that season and didn't want to have to try and do an IM early/mid year, along with trying to qualify for 70.3 Worlds as well. So both Austin and IMFL were really just hail marrys to see what happened. Austin 70.3 HURT really really bad, it was a sufferfest.

Did you take specific actions to accelerate your recovery?- I just listened to my body and loosely followed the training plan. Nothing else out of the ordinary. I do not believe that I got a massage, maybe used the Compex a bit the week of IMFL, but other than that was more just active recovery.

Did you FEEL that Kona was impacting the subsequent races?- Kona definitely impacted Austin 70.3. As for IMFL, I was in a good position coming off the bike and didn't have to push it. I think I had a 15-20min lead off the bike in my AG, so just focused on maintaining that lead and wasn't worried about going for overall AG placement or anything else. Just wanted the Kona slot and that was the focus. Sub-9 was just a bonus. I got pretty lucky and had a few guys on the course that I ran with for a lot of the run, which helped quite a bit.

Let me know if you have any follow up questions.

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Re: Kona and IMFL [@BW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Brad. I'm going to hold off as long as possible before I commit to a double. It's not my preference, but I'm in a similar boat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am doing IMFL after Kona.
Did it the past two years as well. Maybe I recover quickly but I felt fine for Florida.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What do you people do for a living? 4 or 5 races plus travel time in 6 months +/-? That has to be thousands and thousands of dollars in fees/expenses.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona and IMFL [LuchaLibre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can only speak for myself, of course. But I work in the airline industry, which groups my work days together allowing several nice stretches of time off. Also, I fly either free or reduced fare. Lastly, I have friends and family across the country who don't mind me couch surfing for a few days.

Cheers!

Quote Reply