Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cartagena 70.3 (Updated with post race report)
Quote | Reply
Registered for this and looking forward to my first trip to Colombia. Traveling with a few people from my local tri club, one of whom is Colombian and grew up in Cartagena. So it will be nice having someone with local knowledge, and a couple of fluent Spanish speakers... as opposed to my brother and I fumbling our way through Panama earlier this year.

So any 411 on the race and race course that I cannot glean from the IM website?

I have a few assumptions:
  • I know it's going to be hot and humid. Looks like 89/76 are average high/low for Cartagena on December 4th.
  • I assume an 80-ish degree non-wetsuit swim.
  • I assume the same laid back, nonchalant attitude when it comes to race org and logistics. Kind of like at the Panama 70.3. Which is kind of frustrating for us Americans who like things faster and more organized but I'm fine with the "When in Rome..." attitude I'll need to adopt. I'll be on vacation in Colombia for 8 days so standing in some lines and a mild level of frustration sure beats going to work.
The bike course looks mostly flat with one little climb in the middle at the turnaround. I assume it has the potential to be windy but I'm no expert on coastal Colombian weather patterns.

Run looks to be mostly within the Walled City. I'm not one to really look around and check things out during a race but I'll be sure to do just that during the run.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Dec 10, 16 9:58
Quote Reply
Re: Cartagena 70.3 [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just thought I'd bump this if anyone has heard anything beyond what's on the website and athlete guide.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Heat index reached 101 degrees today. Sunday's race should be interesting.

And by interesting I mean a shit show.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually think the race should be decently run because it's the same race director and company as Miami 70.3. Granted, Miami had some issues the first year but that was in large part to the city and permit issues. Either way, looks like it should be pretty fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:

I don't think it'll be a shit show, but it's gonna be hotter than, like, a really hot thing. I just got in from Thailand and it was hot there but this is nuts. 105 heat index today. Chattanooga was horrific and this is worse, but it's only a half. Rule #5.

There's a really solid crew here from Ironman in the states. They didn't neglect any area. So I think it'll be a really good event. I can't think of any other race where I can sit at the finish line and have line of sight to swim start and finish, bike start and finish and run start. And the lap 2 split on the run. So I'm happy.

Sylvan Smyth | http://www.sportstats.asia | sylvan@sportstats.asia | Starvas
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fuvkin love Colombia learn some Spanish I had the best time there out of any country I had been to. Go to boyaca or san tander while you're there
Quote Reply
Re: Cartagena 70.3 [sylvan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sylvan wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

I don't think it'll be a shit show, but it's gonna be hotter than, like, a really hot thing. I just got in from Thailand and it was hot there but this is nuts. 105 heat index today. Chattanooga was horrific and this is worse, but it's only a half. Rule #5.

There's a really solid crew here from Ironman in the states. They didn't neglect any area. So I think it'll be a really good event. I can't think of any other race where I can sit at the finish line and have line of sight to swim start and finish, bike start and finish and run start. And the lap 2 split on the run. So I'm happy.

I didnt mean shit show as far as the race organization and all that. I meant it in a "it's 100 degrees and this one is going to hurt" kind of way. Can't wait for my 13 mile zombie shuffle through the Walled City.

Last edited by: The GMAN: Dec 2, 16 4:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Going to be toasty. Try to get through 1 bottle of water and 1 of sports drink per hour (2 total p hour) on the bike and use every aid on the run. Enjoy the last race of the year!

Toro Performance
Quote Reply
Re: Cartagena 70.3 [jlentzke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two bottles of fluids was definitely my plan. I moved away from sports drinks and just do water, bonk breakers, salt sticks, and gels. I should be off the bike around 2:30 with my current fitness. Two mint chocolate chip bonk breakers and three gels was the plan but I might drop one bonk breaker and substitute for a bottle or two of Gatorade.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like max heat index in the 105-107 range tomorrow. Ironman doubled the number of aid stations on bike and run. 4 on the bike and 20 on the run (10 per loop).

Be careful out there to whoever else is racing.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Looks like max heat index in the 105-107 range tomorrow. Ironman doubled the number of aid stations on bike and run. 4 on the bike and 20 on the run (10 per loop).

Be careful out there to whoever else is racing.
Hopefully it's more like yesterday and today than Thursday. It's bad enough as is but that 105+ heat index stuff is nasty. I don't think it got over 100 today and felt way better being out there. Have a good one!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sylvan wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
I don't think it'll be a shit show

:-|

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sylvan wrote:
sylvan wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
I don't think it'll be a shit show

:-|

Looks like they led most of the pro field off course on the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:

You should go buy a lottery ticket. :)

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Cartagena 70.3 [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did they declare a winner yet? Looked like Hanson was going to run down the lead but I'm not sure what's going on now.
Quote Reply
Re: Cartagena 70.3 [treimink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He was 30 seconds down from 1st after 7k. I'm pretty sure he crossed the line in first but no news on the official ruling
Quote Reply
Re: Cartagena 70.3 [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had a 3min lead at 10k....still TBC

David T-D
http://www.tilburydavis.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That was fucking brutal. I heard it got to 110 degrees. It's still 94 degrees and it's dark and 7pm.

And it was a shit show in some regards, most notably the 40 minute delay and lack of bathrooms on the run course. Seriously, one fucking set of port-a-potties on the entire run course???

Overall I had a positive experience though. Many kinks to work out for the future.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is my report on the race.

1. Travel to Cartagena: Relatively easy to get to from the U.S. I'm not certain there are direct flights into Cartagena from anywhere in the USA. You will likely need to connect in Panama City, Panama or Bogota, Colombia. I used my United frequent flyer miles so I connected in Panama City. Taxis are pretty small there so you might have to do some planning ahead to get a taxi big enough to fit people, luggage, and bike boxes.

2. Hotels: Most of the modern hotels are in the Bocagrande section of Cartagena and about 3 miles from the race venue. So you need to once again factor in logistics about how you will get your bike to transition for bike drop off and how you will get back to your hotel after the race. Cartagena is rather small geographically but there are over 1 million people there. The roads are what I would call barely adequate under normal conditions but were super congested around the convention center area during race weekend. Getting out of there after the race was really difficult.

My #1 suggestion is to stay at one of the boutique hotels in the Old City/Walled City. It's right next to the race venue, and much of the run is within the Walled City. Yes, you will pay more but you won't have to worry about schlepping your bike to and from Bocagrande. I can't understate how much of a pain in the ass that was.

3. Restaurants: There are some really great restaurants around Cartagena. Some of the best coffee in the world if you're a coffee person. Their domestic beers are not good. Stick to European or American imports.

4. Athlete check-in/Bike Drop off/Expo: Athlete check-in and Expo was at the Centro de Convenciones located just south of the Walled City. Once again, you'll need to arrange for a larger taxi if you're not staying within walking distance. Check-in was normal. By normal I mean it still takes entirely too long. We spent an hour getting through the line. You will need to buy a one day pass from the Colombian triathlon sanctioning body.

The expo was a joke. The expo was so crowded they basically weren't allowing people in. I went by there twice and both times I was told it would be a 60-90 minute wait to get in to buy any merchandise. I find most of the IM merchandise to be complete crap so no biggie but I do like to buy a Headsweats visor/hat for my international/destination races.

T1/T2 and bike drop off was in a little plaza to the north of the convention center. It was fenced off and chock full of Colombian national police so it was very safe and secure.

5. Swim: The swim was in a bay right next to the convention center. One loop rectangular course. We were told the water was 86 degrees, so there's zero chance this swim will ever be wetsuit legal. Salt water swim but the water was not super clear since it's in a bay. Maybe a few feet of visibility.

The swim start was delayed by 40 minutes. There was zero communication with the athletes about the delay. We were all standing around wondering what was going on. Rumors I heard were: 1) they had not closed the bay and some boats had come in, and 2) they had not closed down all the roads yet. Maybe Sylvan can chime in.

Other than that the swim was typical.

6. T1: it was a fairly long distance from swim finish to T1. This is not going to be a fast transition.

7. Bike: There were some admin miles getting out of the city and onto the main part of the bike course. The course was basically an out and back up the coastline to the northeast. Roads were actually pretty good for the most part. The worst sections of roads were closer to Cartagena. The scenery along the bike course was pretty nice. The course does go through some poorer coastal areas and there was a huge presence by the Colombian military/police in those areas. It's a little weird seeing a bunch of soldiers carrying assault rifles along a triathlon bike course but it is what it is. That stated, there were a fair amount of locals along the bike course and I thought they were awesome.

There were four aid stations along the 56 miles. More or less about every 12 miles. They were handing out water and Gatorade. Volunteers were great and it ran as smoothly as any race in North America. There was one problem. They weren't using the water or Gatorade sports bottles we're accustomed to here in North America. The water and Gatorade were put in those cheap hard plastic water bottles that are given away for free in swag bags and such. They were hard to squeeze and the spouts were so cheaply made that it required a lot of effort to get fluid out. They really just need to use the same stuff we use in North America.

Mostly flat, with a bit of a climb near the turnaround. Winds were fairly calm.

8. T2: same place as T1. Nothing out of the ordinary.

9: Run: Most of the run is in the Walled City, some of it around the Walled City, some of it was on the Wall. It was a fun run course. Two loops with 10 aid stations per loop, so roughly one every 2/3rds of a mile. A ton of spectators and volunteers. Water, Gatorade, Pepsi (which was not flat or de-fizzed), gels, bananas.

What they didn't have a ton of were bathrooms. There was only one aid station with port-a-potties on the entire run course, and even then it was only three potties. My guess it was around mile 4.5 or 5. I had to go to the bathroom really bad after the bike and kept running by aid stations asking about banos and nobody had a clue. So I just had to piss myself. I understand that it would have been difficult or impossible to put potties along many areas of the run course as a lot was on narrow cobblestone roads but many of the aid stations were in larger areas where there could have been bathrooms.

The course was pretty well marked but it's very confusing if we weren't all following each other. We had no idea about the problems the pros had earlier.

10. Finish Area: Finish line was full of people and they had a few grandstands put in place. Decent food/drink area for athletes after the finish.

11. Post race: It was quite a chore getting back to the hotel. Traffic was horrible. We even had a vehicle arranged to get our bikes back to Bocagrande but it still took about three hours from the time we decided to leave until I was back to my hotel. This is not something you want to do after doing a 70.3 in 100+ degrees.

There was a post race party around the race venue later that night but there was no way most people were going to want to go back towards the race site after spending however long it was getting out of there.

12. Heat and Humidity: This is the giant X Factor with this race. It's extremely warm and humid in Cartagena. Average daily high temps are around 90 degrees and the relative humidity remains above 80 percent at all times. Accuweather had the heat index reaching 110 degrees on race day, and it was often very sunny. That made it absolutely brutal on the run. This is not the race for you if you don't do well in heat and humidity. I live in the Houston, TX area which is one of the hottest and most humid places in the USA and the Cartagena humidity was on another level of nasty. There's also no way anyone from the US, Canada, or Europe is acclimated to this kind of heat index in December. It was rough.

Overall it was an awesome experience and Cartagena is a beautiful place.

My negatives, and it's mostly nitpicky:

1. Transportation concerns with bikes and bike cases. This is mitigated if you stay in the Walled City but most of the hotels people will choose are in Bocagrande so the race organizers should pick one of the hotels as the "host" and have shuttle buses going back and forth from that hotel in Bocagrande to the race venue. Kind of like they did in Panama for the Panama 70.3 (RIP).

2. Delays happen but have some communication with the athletes.

3. Use the sports bottles similar to North America for water and Gatorade on the bike course.

4. More freakin' bathrooms on the run course.

5. It's damn hot and humid.

Last edited by: The GMAN: Dec 10, 16 13:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GMAN big thanks for the detailed report on the event experience!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Cartagena 70.3 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

Thanks. I loved the whole experience. Everyone should heed warnings regarding the heat and humidity though. Those are brutal conditions if it were the middle of the summer let alone December. Those of us coming from North America range from not having seen temps like that in three months to ever.

Last edited by: The GMAN: Dec 10, 16 14:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

Thanks. I loved the whole experience. Everyone should heed warnings regarding the heat and humidity though. Those are brutal conditions if it were the middle of the summer let alone December. Those of us coming from North America range from not having seen temps like that in three months to ever.
It was so bad on Thursday and Monday. Mercifully Friday, Saturday and Sunday had a bit of relief. I came almost straight from Thailand which was decent prep but Cartagena was the worst I've ever felt.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sylvan wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

It was so bad on Thursday and Monday. Mercifully Friday, Saturday and Sunday had a bit of relief. I came almost straight from Thailand which was decent prep but Cartagena was the worst I've ever felt.

I was just looking at this race and would love to do it but didn't realize it was crazy hot. My husband had troubles recently doing PR 70.3. It was toasty (hardest run I've ever done) but I personally still loved that run! It sounds like this race is even hotter than Puerto Rico? Other than the heat and a few minor things, it sounds like an amazing race.

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Re: Cartagena 70.3 [70Trigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
70Trigirl wrote:
sylvan wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

I was just looking at this race and would love to do it but didn't realize it was crazy hot. My husband had troubles recently doing PR 70.3. It was toasty (hardest run I've ever done) but I personally still loved that run! It sounds like this race is even hotter than Puerto Rico? Other than the heat and a few minor things, it sounds like an amazing race.

Sylvan has been around the world timing IM races so he can chime in and correct me if I'm wrong in my hypothesis that there's isn't a single 70.3 branded race in the world that has as nasty a heat and humidity combination as Cartagena. Maybe one of the races in southeast Asia but Sylvan already said Cartagena was worse than Thailand.

This is not a race for someone who struggles with heat+humidity.

Quote Reply