Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

indoor trainer---which bike???
Quote | Reply
my winter training strategy this year involves keeping one bike set up in the trainer in the basement for the winter so I can't use the excuse that I don't feel like setting it up before riding. The other bike will get a rest and be available for the occasional nice winter day in Oregon when I will ride outside.

So, which bike should I ride in the trainer this winter? The tri bike or the road bike?

Please don't worry about which bike can handle the winter roads or that stuff, I just interested in thoughts about which geometry would be smarter for hours of indoor fluid trainer time over the winter in terms of training benefit
Quote Reply
Re: indoor trainer---which bike??? [barnstorm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tough call. My suggestion would be to put the road bike where ever you think you'll spend the most time.

I agree with Dan's article somewhere on this site that say a tri bike is most comfortable under a fair bit of power. That's been true for me, so my easy base miles are in a road config.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am going to set up my road bike with a steeper seat angle to mimic the geometry of my tri bike. I will put a little longer stem on it as well. It will be more comfortable to do some of my easier rides on the trainer this way, and do my harder rides on the trainer on my tri bike.

So if you ride your road bike on your trainer it may be beneficial to ride a little steeper and use a longer stem so that you are still using the same muscles that you would use on your tri bike.

Just a thought.

Ruble Triathlon Coaching Average of 30 coached PR's per year
Florida Triathlon Camps Train in North Americas winter training destination
Ruble Racing Events Midwest Triathlon Racing
Ruble Timing Midwest Event Timing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tough call, but I would probably set up the tri bike... Only reason is I kind of like spinning in the aerobars rather then on the hoods... Comfort and lazyness I guess. What ever you choose to do, make sure you change the tire to something with a hard compound (which coincidentally is usually the cheapest tires) to minimize the abrasive wear... It just doesn't make sense to use up a good tire..

"Suddenly the thought struck me. My floor is someone elses ceiling"-Nils Ferlin
Quote Reply
Re: indoor trainer---which bike??? [audiojan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
which tire do you recommend? I just got my trainer and I was wondering if this was necessary (exclusive trainer tire). Thanks.

"How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live."
-H.D.Thoreau
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd put the tri bike in the trainer... i'm just thinking that if i was in your situation there will be days when i'd want to go out riding, but wouldn't necessarily want to have my hands that far from the brakes. other people are a lot more comfortable riding in the aerobars w/cars nearby than i am...
and, you could always take the tri bike out of the trainer a few times over the winter, if you really wanted to.
Quote Reply