Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Maintaining running fitness during off-season [tixunau] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in the 1:30-1:35 HIM range this year. I didn't do anything special but run a lot mostly very slow.
Quote Reply
Re: Maintaining running fitness during off-season [denali2001] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea, I don't get it either. To maintain you have to run, so go run, often...just back off the intensity a bit and drop some of the structure and enjoy the outdoors. Just run often, hell maybe even walk sometimes but you gotta keep up the consistency.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll take credit for getting desert dude onto the thread. I texted him that I needed some backup because there was a lot of stupidity getting thrown about on this thread. His coaching fees include backup for when things get out of hand around here.

I'm below your 1:30-1:35 split time, but I'm guessing you don't care. I'll usually end up running 6x week. Most of those runs are base aerobic runs for me that would be a 7:30-8:00/mi pace. Probably include a little faster running 1-2 week, but nothing crazy. Maybe something like strides one day and the other will be 4x2min VO2max. I'd guess I'm hitting 40-45mi most of those weeks. I don't like going below 40mpw. The biggest difference between say offseason run training - when I could be focusing on improving swim/bike which are my weaker disciplines - is the intensity.

As DD mentioned, one of the best ways to prevent injury is to run frequently. If you're running frequently in the offseason, you're way ahead of everyone when the spring rolls around and you want to start mixing in intensity. Trying to increase volume and intensity at the same time is a good recipe for injury.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tixunau wrote:
For those that are running a 1:30-1:35 HIM, what do you do during the off season running wise? The concept of running consistently at easy pace 5-6x time a week for x miles is understood but do you do anything else special?

I run about 1:25 HIM splits. Nothing special to the training. Just run 40mpw all year long, for years. And that is a true 40mpw, not a "peak week" but an actual moving average over the last few years. No special workouts. Usually 90-95% slow and easy, and the last few percent are balls out tempo runs for 20-30 minutes. Occasional track workout or progression long run. Basically you wake up and jog for 30-60 minutes every day. Then keep doing it until you are a fast runner. It is that easy.

Haven't been injured in years. Running is still getting faster, and I also can accomodate a lot of swim/bike intensity--FTP continues to climb. Run-heavy programs are suboptimal but still work pretty darn well for tri and IMO are much easier to make sustainable in the context of a busy job/family life than the classic 50% bike/30% run/20% swim breakdown.
Quote Reply
Re: Maintaining running fitness during off-season [trimac2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should run max 3 times a week but you can also substitute/add the Elliptical to get more volume in. The elliptical has been proven to be great at maintaining fitness you've already gained and would be a great low-impact way to increase volume. You will also need to keep minimal intensity into your workouts.
Quote Reply
Re: Maintaining running fitness during off-season [TriThisTriThat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriThisTriThat wrote:
You should run max 3 times a week but you can also substitute/add the Elliptical to get more volume in. The elliptical has been proven to be great at maintaining fitness you've already gained and would be a great low-impact way to increase volume. You will also need to keep minimal intensity into your workouts.

I'll give you a 2/10
Quote Reply
Re: Maintaining running fitness during off-season [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Have you looked at the BarryP running plan?
I pretty much used that to maintain fitness, and it actually made me a faster runner.

There bags of info if you search for it on ST, but in its simple form:

3 Short Runs (e.g 2-3 miles)
3 Medium Runs (e.g 6-8 miles)
1 Long Run (e.g 10-12 miles)

Now disperse them....

M: 2-3
T: 6-8
W: 2-3
T: 6-8
F: 2-3
S: 6-8
S: 10-12

You get a good blend of frequency and duration with this plan.

FWIW, i do the exact format i have written above. My 2-3 milers are bricks, also my one 6-8 on the weekend is a longer brick if i feel like riding that Saturday.

This also frees up the opportunity for you to swim on those bike days also. Throw in some strength work on Sundays, tuesdays and thursday - and you have a pretty good offseason.

I've been doing this for a while now, and i feel strong going in to a bit more volume now.
Quote Reply
Re: Maintaining running fitness during off-season [sambadhillon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought BarryP was 3/2/1 - 3 short, 2 'medium', 1 long?

Anyway, the general idea is, try to keep the run frequency up, 5-6 days/week, 7 if you can swing it time and recovery-wise.
I always liked having a day off from running here and there, but I generally didn't plan for it, per se - life happened, so a recovery day happened.

I also recommend doing some of the short and/or medium runs as bricks - not that there anything magical about a brick, it's just time-efficient to knock out a bike & run all in one go.
You can do a short, hard trainer hammerfest for 30-40 mins, then lace 'em up and go run 2-3-4 ez miles, and done.

I'd suggest the "off-season" is the time to do more than just maintain your run fitness.
My best run gains ever were doing a 4 month block of desertdude's "Full-Ass Run Challenge", where you build up to 40-50+ mpw, and bang that out consistently for at least 3+ months.
Your run splits and race results will thank you.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Honestly, I think you're on the right track with your initial thinking. If the focus is swimming and biking then I would keep the run training as simple as possible. Instead of the speed session day, I would focus on hill repeats.

M - EZ + strides
T - EZ
W - Hill Repeats (or if you want to change it up a 20 min tempo run or longer fartleks)
Th - EZ
F - EZ + strides

If your focus was to improve your run then there's a lot more you could do this off season but since it's maintenance then run frequency and building your aerobic base are key.

Shawn
TORRE Consulting Services, LLC
http://www.TORREcs.com

Quote Reply
Re: Maintaining running fitness during off-season [TriThisTriThat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriThisTriThat wrote:

Is this the ironcowboy?

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Maintaining running fitness during off-season [DarkStar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am thinking about doing the same. Running this winter. What is your swimming / biking going to look like? I'm interested in how much do I need to continue to maintain in those sports, while focusing on running.
thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Maintaining running fitness during off-season [denali2001] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
denali2001 wrote:
I'll take credit for getting desert dude onto the thread. I texted him that I needed some backup because there was a lot of stupidity getting thrown about on this thread. His coaching fees include backup for when things get out of hand around here.

I'm below your 1:30-1:35 split time, but I'm guessing you don't care. I'll usually end up running 6x week. Most of those runs are base aerobic runs for me that would be a 7:30-8:00/mi pace. Probably include a little faster running 1-2 week, but nothing crazy. Maybe something like strides one day and the other will be 4x2min VO2max. I'd guess I'm hitting 40-45mi most of those weeks. I don't like going below 40mpw. The biggest difference between say offseason run training - when I could be focusing on improving swim/bike which are my weaker disciplines - is the intensity.

As DD mentioned, one of the best ways to prevent injury is to run frequently. If you're running frequently in the offseason, you're way ahead of everyone when the spring rolls around and you want to start mixing in intensity. Trying to increase volume and intensity at the same time is a good recipe for injury.

Not sure where I struck a cord there but if so, my apologies. I am totally new to this and I am learning as much as I can from everyone. Most of you guys have done this for a very long time and lots for me to absorb for the next few months to be ready for my first one.

I know it is 'cliche' to say it but somehow somewhere with time, I will know what works for me. Therefore I am taking all the advice and build on it. There will be some trials and errors for sure along the way but that is part of the journey right? Again, thank you for your inputs and others too. It gives me a very good comprehension on what I need to do to get me there and also how I can vary my training.

Cheers!
Quote Reply
Re: Maintaining running fitness during off-season [nad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not a coach, but...

right now my plan is to do two swims and two trainer sessions a week. So far I've been picking trainerroad sessions from their 45 minute time crunch plan. I'm doing my swimming at lunch. I get to the pool and do 200s for 30 minutes and leave. I'm not real happy with the swim approach I've chosen mostly because I've been listening to the Gerry Rodrigues podcasts and I'm convinced I should be swimming a bunch and doing technique work. But I feel for me my time is best spent running if additional training opportunities present themselves during the week. For now I'm running 6x a week but as the mileage increases if I'm feeling good I may increase that (7-9). No intensity though.
Quote Reply
Re: Maintaining running fitness during off-season [DarkStar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for you reply. That helps. I was feeling a bit low on the bike / swim time, but I guess that'll come back as long as I maintain it, even at lower volume.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If your swim is that weak (not judging!), try a swim snorkel (Finis, etc.). Cheap money and it will allow you to swim, swim, and swim some more, w/o having to worry about breathing. Will turn your swim sessions into more of a workout, and less of a "don't drown" session.

Also, then get a pair of fins and an alignment board. Couple w/ the snorkel, swim workouts become a lot more fun.
Definitely try to 3x/week. Watch as your swimming ability improves drastically.
I've gone from dreading swimming, to really enjoying it, due to the above.

IMO, swimming is about optimal body position in the water. Exercise cords will do nothing in that regards..
Last edited by: spookini: Oct 3, 16 15:24
Quote Reply

Prev Next