Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: ROKA wetsuit durability [albertsonrm1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
albertsonrm1 wrote:
I'd like to poll owners of Roka wetsuits about the durability of these suits:

I've decided to try out the Maverick X, but have ran into a few hiccups along the way. I noticed two fingernail cuts in the first suit I received before I even put the wetsuit on. I decided not to swim in this suit as to not risk my chances of a return. Roka took that suit and sent a new one no hassle. After swimming in that suit, I realized I needed to size down to a small tall. I received that suit this evening, and inspected it on opening the box. I noticed a fingernail cut right about the right ankle release panel. I know for sure this wetsuit has been sent out before as the tag isn't attached to the lanyard.

I've had a sleeveless Blueseventy reaction suit for 4 seasons now and it has no cuts, tears or whatever. I actually feel like it's pretty bombproof. It's been an incredible suit, but I want a full sleeved suit and wanted something designed for flexibility (so I was looking at the helix, maverick pro, and maverick x). Roka happened to be the best bang for the buck via my tri club.

Please feel free to comment on the durability of your Roka wetsuit, and how it has compared to other brands for you.

Thank you

I will make two general statements about wetsuits:

1) Like Rob says, all the high-end suits are considerably fragile when it comes to fingernails tails. It doesn't really matter if it is Roka, BlueSeventy, Xterra, TYR, 2XU, Zoot, Aquasphere etc. The Yamamoto coated material is very susceptible to fingernail tears. People have to be very very careful to cut their fingernails, and learn to pull the suit up from the inside and take their time.

2) The number of customers, who tears wetsuits, yet return them. I am not a manufacturer, but I have found my own peer group is very sketchy when it comes to owning up to tears. Having sold numerous suits on eBay after switching to a new suit and taken well descriptive pictures, you would be surprised to see how many people try on a suit, tear and it, and want to return it despite a various obvious picture showing that it wasn't torn beforehand.

Even grabbing a suit out of a box is enough to tear it. From my perspective tears are very easy to fix with wetsuit glue, but you should never get a suit that is torn from the get go.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: ROKA wetsuit durability [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
albertsonrm1 wrote:
I'd like to poll owners of Roka wetsuits about the durability of these suits:

I've decided to try out the Maverick X, but have ran into a few hiccups along the way. I noticed two fingernail cuts in the first suit I received before I even put the wetsuit on. I decided not to swim in this suit as to not risk my chances of a return. Roka took that suit and sent a new one no hassle. After swimming in that suit, I realized I needed to size down to a small tall. I received that suit this evening, and inspected it on opening the box. I noticed a fingernail cut right about the right ankle release panel. I know for sure this wetsuit has been sent out before as the tag isn't attached to the lanyard.

I've had a sleeveless Blueseventy reaction suit for 4 seasons now and it has no cuts, tears or whatever. I actually feel like it's pretty bombproof. It's been an incredible suit, but I want a full sleeved suit and wanted something designed for flexibility (so I was looking at the helix, maverick pro, and maverick x). Roka happened to be the best bang for the buck via my tri club.

Please feel free to comment on the durability of your Roka wetsuit, and how it has compared to other brands for you.

Thank you

I will make two general statements about wetsuits:

1) Like Rob says, all the high-end suits are considerably fragile when it comes to fingernails tails. It doesn't really matter if it is Roka, BlueSeventy, Xterra, TYR, 2XU, Zoot, Aquasphere etc. The Yamamoto coated material is very susceptible to fingernail tears. People have to be very very careful to cut their fingernails, and learn to pull the suit up from the inside and take their time.

2) The number of customers, who tears wetsuits, yet return them. I am not a manufacturer, but I have found my own peer group is very sketchy when it comes to owning up to tears. Having sold numerous suits on eBay after switching to a new suit and taken well descriptive pictures, you would be surprised to see how many people try on a suit, tear and it, and want to return it despite a various obvious picture showing that it wasn't torn beforehand.

Even grabbing a suit out of a box is enough to tear it. From my perspective tears are very easy to fix with wetsuit glue, but you should never get a suit that is torn from the get go.

Good post.

I used to work in the wetsuit business, and heard every excuse under the sun for damaged wetsuits, some quite inventive & funny.

We used to try to get people to turn the suits nearly fully inside out, put their legs in, get the bottom of the suit into position just above the ankles, then roll them up up the body, letting the inside of the suit to bear the brunt of the pulling. If the crotch was low, the suit came off & the bottom of the legs were pulled up a bit higher, and the suit went back on.

Patient people = barely a fingernail tear.
Impatient people = suit could end up looking like a shark attacked it.
Quote Reply
Re: ROKA wetsuit durability [niccolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wear gardening gloves to put my Roka on. My friend immediately laughed at me but after several minutes of struggling with her Roka, she was asking to borrow my gloves. I wore it for 3 practice swims, then just races (3 so far). My plan is to keep my torn in the arm pits Aquaman for regular training.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: ROKA wetsuit durability [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tsunami wrote:
I wear gardening gloves to put my Roka on. My friend immediately laughed at me but after several minutes of struggling with her Roka, she was asking to borrow my gloves. I wore it for 3 practice swims, then just races (3 so far). My plan is to keep my torn in the arm pits Aquaman for regular training.

A swim cap makes an excellent substitute for those gardening gloves...just pull on the suit through the cap, easy to do, grippy, just works.
Quote Reply
Re: ROKA wetsuit durability [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good Morning All,
Did anyone try Sailfish Wetsuit?
I am trying to buy ROKA wetsuit, but the problem is the Ocean....Once I will order it is very unlikely I will ship it back, hence the question. I am a good swimmer, 177cm 75kg (5.10 and 165lbs) and use Sailfish wetsuit XSL.
Could anyone have some experience and help out on bang on size with the ROKA? Sleeveless.
Currently I am considering ST, as M would be to loose?

Thank you Trination:-)
Quote Reply

Prev Next