Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is carbon that much better than aluminum for IM?
Quote | Reply
Hi all. I'm new to this forum (well, I've read off and on for a while, but this is my first post!). I'm amazed at the amount of great advice that I read all the time. So I figured I'd tap some of that knowledge for myself.

I'm looking to buy a new tri-bike for this upcoming season. I raced last season on a Giant TCR Composite road bike with some Carbon Strike clip-ons. I used to have a Cannondale Ironman 2000 the year before, but I sold it b/c I began to up my mileage (I'm pretty new to Triathlon - just a couple years) and the road vibration was kicking my butt whenever I got over 40 miles. So I sold that bike and went with the Giant. I was *amazed* at how much more comfortable it was.

I did 3 Olympics, some sprints, and some duathlons last year. I want to get a dedicated tri-bike for next season. For 2006, I'm doing IM Florida, and will probably do a few olympics and one or two Halfs as well. I've set my price range at about $3K, possibly a little bit more.

My question is whether I should just look at carbon or whether I should consider aluminum too. I've read that the Cannondale I rode was exceptionally stiff and harsh for aluminum so maybe it's not a very good reflection of how aluminum rides in general. But I know that my Giant rides ten times smoother than the Cannondale; I wouldn't dare do Ironman on that Cannondale.

I looked at the new QR Seduza and Caliente the other day. I liked the way the Seduza rode. I haven't had a chance to hop on a Cervelo yet, but I was hoping to soon. I know most people will say just head out and try it to see how it feels, but I don't think I'll be able to get out on a long enough test ride to really be able to tell how comfortable it is over a long ride. So as far as comfort goes, I'm hoping some of you might have some thoughts.

One other related question, and this will sound dumb... everyone always says fit is the most important factor in determining what bike to buy. That makes sense to me. But how do you tell if it fits you? When I take a bike on a test ride, am I to expect the store owner to spend hours fitting me perfectly for each bike before a test ride? That seems a bit unreasonable. So is it just that I select one bike that I like, that felt good on a short test ride, and that the salesperson recommends, and then have him fit me on the trainer to see if I can get comfortable on it? (and if i can't, then pick a different bike to try?) It may be a silly question, but any thoughts would be appreciated.

OK, sorry for the long post. I hope you guys can help! Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Is carbon that much better than aluminum for IM? [laim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can make an appointment with a fitter where he will give you the appropriate geometry to look for. Then you can narrow it down based on that. Many good fitters will fit you on a fit-type "bike" like the Serotta fitcycle that is basically a totally adjustable frame that you can pedal on. The key measurement to determine is top-tube length.

If you have a Giant and like it, you might want to start your search with their new Trinity bikes. Giant's are excellent bikes, and that'd be an outstanding ride.

You certainly can look at aluminum, but if you've tried it and don't like it, nothing wrong with focusing on carbon.

The adjustability on many of the tribikes is getting better and better, so the key is really to have a fitter establish what top-tube length you want, and to start your search from there.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, no, maybe.....

Carbon has it's strengths, but I don't think it's the end all & be all when it comes to frame & component materials. My current ride uses a careful mix of carbon & aluminium.

Paul "Speedy" Gonsalves
http://www.rollingthundercanada.com
RollingThunderCanada

Canadian distributor for HED Cycling, Blue Competition, Akona Biospeed & Aerus Composites

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can relate with your question and am looking at going from Al roadbike to carbon Tri bike. I tried out a P3C and liked the ride, but it was set up more like a roadbike. The saleman didn't offer to make any more adjustments (maybe I need to be more agressive). Roadbike setting (lots of spacers, backwards seat setting) is not how I would ride it. The one I tested was a 54 in frame (only one in store) and I am 5'8" with 31.25 inseam (measured from floor to top of book edge snugged up tight). I suspect a best fit for me would be between the 51 and 54 inch frame. I too am looking at the 2006 QR Caliente but there is no dealer in my state that carries them. I am told the Medium would be my size, but don't know. I might be in between a medium and a small for the Caliente. Your idea of a trainer to test in the bike shop sounds good to me if there was a bike shop around me that carried QR.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you say BEAM bike. They will really make a difference in comfort. WAAAYYYY more than the difference between carbon and Alu.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: Is carbon that much better than aluminum for IM? [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to everyone for their replies so far. I hadn't considered a beam bike before. Not sure why not - I think just because I've spoken to a few people and they've said that unless you've got a herniated disc or something, it's not worth it. The more I read though, it sounds like people are either in the hater or lover camp. I don't find a whole lot inbetween!

Any other thoughts would be appreciated. In particular, if there are any aluminum frames that are known for being pretty comfortable rides, I'd love to hear about them. Thanks!

btw, Kent KS DU - does the KS stand for Kansas? I grew up in Prairie Village. If it doesn't... well, just kind of ignore this part of my post... =)
Quote Reply