Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best cordless computer?
Quote | Reply
How accurate and dependable are they?
Quote Reply
Re: Best cordless computer? [MattBerner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I have tried almost every cordless computer out there over the years and only two have worked well on a consistent basis. Cateye and VDO are the only ones that I recommend. Specialized, Performance, Vetta (the worst by far), Sigma and Avocet all had intermittent problems or were extremely sensitive to pick-up location.

Of course, the Garmin also works well as a bike computer and you can use it for running/swimming/hiking as well.

Dean Wilson
www.anaerobiczone.com

Dean Wilson
http://www.anaerobiczone.com
Bicycle Protection Indoors & Out
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with the Cateye being one of the best.

I would also add the new Polar CS200 to the list

Paul "Speedy" Gonsalves
http://www.rollingthundercanada.com
RollingThunderCanada

Canadian distributor for HED Cycling, Blue Competition, Akona Biospeed & Aerus Composites

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The older Polar cycling watch based computers were a pain to set up but the new CS200 models are rock solid and has a feature set that none can match. Gotta reccomend that even after setting up quite a few other wireless computers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cateye Double Wireless and the single wireless- whatever it is called.

As for the Cray Supercomputer of Cyclometers it is hard to beat the Polar stuff such as the 625X (more of a running computer with cycling capability) and the new Polar units that are bike specific.

Dependibility for each of these units is leaps and bounds above what it was just three years ago when we wouldn't sell them because the signals were so spotty. they used to be a cantankerous installation as well but are straight forward now.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Best cordless computer? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you done any setups on the CS200's? Are the Polar cadence sensors compatible with Cervelo frames? It looks like there's "pointy" where there should be "round", or is the mounting capable of working with the aero tubing?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Cateye CD3000 wireless. I have had it about a year and have had no problems other than it EATS batteries. If you ride a lot they are good 10-12 weeks. It is supposed to blink to let you know the juice is getting low, but mine did that for about 15 min and then went blank. So pack some batteries in your tire kit. The other potential trouble spot is that the one piece chainstay sensor for speed & cadence may be hard to fit on oddly shaped chainstays. Mine works well on my gigantic Vamoots stays, but is very close to the tire. Big carbon aero stays with real close tolerances to the tire I would think might be troublesome.

I agree with "isbr" that the Garmin is a reasonable option as well and is useful for other activities. I was out of town last time my Cateye battery died but I had my Garmin with me so I stuck it in my jersey pocket, and it not only worked great, I could download and plot the course at home later! I am just so habituated to having a bike computer that I would feel weird riding without one, but unless it's cloudy or you have a lot of obstructions to GPS satellites (trees, bridges, tall buildings, etc), there's no reason why a GPS won't work just as well. As long as you're not logging your trainer miles anyways. . . . The Garmin instructions hilariously come with a warning that the unit does not work on a treadmill.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ciclosport Hac4, pricey but worth every penney! You can pick them up pretty cheaply on enay, I think people buy them then get discouraged after reading the instruction manual (it is horrible). Once you figure it out though it is awesome. I have the one computer with additional mounting kits on all of my bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a wired on one bike and a wireless on the other and I will never buy a wireless again. What a pain.

Quote | Reply
I've never had a moments trouble with my CatEye Double Wireless. Gets my vote.

Made in Scotland frae Girders
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
have been thru just about all, Mavic WinTech best performer i've found. Transmitter is build into the quick release; clean mount for display on stem, also has a wireless cadence option. Dependable as can be, too.

what means this word 'change'? .....
Rappstar
Quote Reply