Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Poor sleep and 'twitchy' legs after a hard week
Quote | Reply
Hey all,

I'm building my training back up and have had a couple of nights really poor sleep. I'm waking up at 3am and my legs are, for want of a better phrase, really 'twitchy', particularly in the quads. Done a couple of hard (for me anyway) rides and a 10k race this week.

I don't usually get this, and i'm just wondering if anyone else ever gets it, or what you think might be causing it.

Cheers,

J.
Quote Reply
Re: Poor sleep and 'twitchy' legs after a hard week [Freeflyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Twitchy as in muscle spasms? Or as in restless, feeling the need to move the legs a lot? Might want to google "restless legs syndrome". I have a very mild form of it, can be a little annoying sometimes.

/Petter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Caffeine can be the culprit - at least it has produced similar symptoms for me if I have overdone it, esp. right before bedtime.

brother bonk
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
probably due to Ca++ ions being released causing depolarization of the sarcomere which can cause your leg muscles to twitch.

I might have missed a step, it's been 10yrs since I have thought about depolarization of muscle fibers.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Poor sleep and 'twitchy' legs after a hard week [KPI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think it's RLS. I very occasionally get it when I'm really tired and nodding off to sleep while trying to stay awake. This is just a twitchy restlessness in the quads.

Will read a bit more on RLS though. Thanks for the reference.
Quote Reply
Re: Poor sleep and 'twitchy' legs after a hard week [brother bonk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope, not caffeine, I hardly ever drink anything with caffeine in it.
Quote Reply
Re: Poor sleep and 'twitchy' legs after a hard week [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Brian, that really helps ;P

What would cause the calcium ions to be released?

It's not like this is a massively heavy week, I've certainly done more than this regularly in the past without this problem, but my quads are just a bit wierd right now. I think I'll take a couple of days off and see what happens.

Cheers,

J.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had the same problem during a few weeks of very heavy training (for me, 15+ hours per week). Usually it is a sign of overtraining. I'd wake up in the middle of the night and lay awake tossing and turning for hours. And my legs would twitch.

Is a rest/recovery week a possibility? It might help things.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't sleep well the night after really hard workouts or races either -- don't have the twitching, but just general discomfort. I think I fare slightly better if I've done an ice bath afterwards, but, now that the weather is cool that is the last thing I want when I walk in the door...
Quote Reply
Re: Poor sleep and 'twitchy' legs after a hard week [uptown423] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perhaps it's just a sign I need a break. Next week will be a rest week as I leave Borneo to move back to London, so there will be a few days of not having access to a bike or pool and I won't want to run for long due to jetlag and the weather.

Thanks for the advice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have trouble sleeping if I've been doing a high mileage week too - usually by the end my legs are so sore that I can't find a comfortable way to lay.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One word:

Lunesta

It's the miracle recovery supplement. My wife has some, and I popped one the evening after a half IM. It usually takes me 2-3 nights before I sleep normally after a hard half IM. I woke up 9 hours later feeling like I had slept for a year. I have never felt so refreshed in all my life. Amazing stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to twitch all the time in college. That was during the days of 60K-100K meters per week in the pool. If you are training hard enough then you will twitch. I need to get back to the days of twitching, then I will know I am ready to race. I had no problem sleeping, but I would just twitch the whole time and sleep right through it.
Quote Reply
Re: Poor sleep and 'twitchy' legs after a hard week [Flanagan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh man I used to twitch like that too swimming all those miles in college. When we would go to Florida on training trip for a week, we would all twitch so badly we'd wake each other up. I literally could jump off the bed!

Something good about all that though. In a sick, twisted sort of way.
Quote Reply
Re: Poor sleep and 'twitchy' legs after a hard week [Flanagan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree about twitching while swimming in college. My coaches always explained it as a lactic acid build up in the muscles trying to be released, since muscles have to move to get rid of lactic acid. They always said if I twitched, I was not warming down enough at the end of practice. So they could be right or maybe they just always wanted me to warm down more.
Quote Reply