Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Best Tri Bike for under 3k [LazyEP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LazyEP wrote:
I bought my QR Cd01 for under $3K. I'm very pleased.

I bought a Cd0.1 six years ago for well under $3k... Not knocking the frame (I loved it, was sad to sell it earlier this week, and can cite n=1 fast bike split or two), but if you buy a Cd0.1 in 2016, it should be well well well sub $3k.

tweets.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Tri Bike for under 3k [siegfried08] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So if I'm getting everything correct, basically a lot of the bikes are very similar in speed? I'm looking at getting a professional fit once I choose a bike and I do want to upgrade and get the full potential out of it. I don't honestly want to go the cheaper route of a kestrel or anything. (Not bashing those bikes but I'm the type of guy that will buy the best of my price range, I don't want to skip on anything and wish I had a better bike a year or two down the road) I just want the best bike that I can later dump upgrades into
Quote Reply
Re: Best Tri Bike for under 3k [tcaldwell369] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are better off getting a proper fit done so you know which bike to buy. Then select the best option for you. Plenty of fast bikes out there if you buy the one that fits.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Tri Bike for under 3k [PeteDin206] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PeteDin206 wrote:
You are better off getting a proper fit done so you know which bike to buy. Then select the best option for you. Plenty of fast bikes out there if you buy the one that fits.

I've never quite understood that. My P2 is so adjustable, I can't imagine someone not fitting on one assuming they have the right size frame and they don't have some kind of freakish body that belongs in a circus. And just to emphasise how adjustable the P2s are (and I'm assuming most TT bikes are), I'm 170cm and am on a small, my mate is 6'1 and rides the same size bike. There are a ton of pros that are 6'+ and ride small bikes as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Tri Bike for under 3k [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So far I've only been on the trinity, going next weekend to try out an IA and a p2 (if they have something close to my size). But that's crazy I would never have thought someone 6'1" could fit a small p2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tcaldwell369 wrote:
So far I've only been on the trinity, going next weekend to try out an IA and a p2 (if they have something close to my size). But that's crazy I would never have thought someone 6'1" could fit a small p2.

Yeah Craig Alexander, Bart Aernouts, Tim van Berkel all 6/6'1 and all ride small.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
Yeah Craig Alexander, Bart Aernouts, Tim van Berkel all 6/6'1 and all ride small.

Can you elaborate on this or provide some explanation? That just seems completely contrary to common cycling guidance/sizing tips.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to break it to you but that's not particularly fast and "top 70" isn't really anything to boast about. That Talon did you a disservice.

PeteDin206 wrote:
Funny, I rode a 2:34 (top 70 overall that day) bike at Lake Stevens 70.3 in 2013 on a Kestel Talon with SRAM Force. At that price point, I'm going to go out on a limb and say it isn't the bike that is going to make you fast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PeteDin206 wrote:
PubliusValerius wrote:
jsmith82 wrote:
You could get on a Kestrel 4000 with a 105 build for around 2,800.00.

http://www.kestrelbicycles.com/...lon/4000-shimano-105

You must have misread the thread title. It says "best tri bike for under 3k" not "biggest piece of crap, waste of money, aerodynamic dog of a TT bicycle for ~$3k"

Funny, I rode a 2:34 (top 70 overall that day) bike at Lake Stevens 70.3 in 2013 on a Kestel Talon with SRAM Force. At that price point, I'm going to go out on a limb and say it isn't the bike that is going to make you fast.

^^^^ What this guy says! Save some money and train more. My friend just averaged 23 mph at IMMD on a 2010 kestrel talon with stock oval wheels.

We are just splitting hairs at this point

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply
Re: Best Tri Bike for under 3k [RonanIRL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RonanIRL wrote:
zedzded wrote:

Can you elaborate on this or provide some explanation? That just seems completely contrary to common cycling guidance/sizing tips.

Thanks!

There are others that are probably more qualified to comment, but I'm guessing a tall guy on a small TT bike means they can get a much more aggressive and aerodynamic position? A position a lot of AGers wouldn't be able to hold for 5hours+
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can I suggest one more option you might consider? Diamondback currently has the Serios S on sale for $1600. Since it has a "real" 105 crankset, you can buy a replacement left-side crank with a 4iiii power meter pre-installed for just $400. You say you already have race wheels. So that leaves you $1000 of room for other upgrades. If you wanted, you could do a UDi2 conversion for that!

I'm not saying the Serios is better than a P2, IA, or entry level Shiv/Trinity/SpeedConcept/Slice. And at list price, it would be hard to recommend over the established brands because of resale potential. But, at $1600, it sure makes a strong value statement.

http://www.diamondback.com/shop/serios-s

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Oct 5, 16 15:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The new P2 and IA would be at the top of my list as well, and also a used P5:

http://www.ebay.com/...rksid=p2045573.m1684
Quote Reply
Re: Best Tri Bike for under 3k [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TH3_FRB wrote:
Sorry to break it to you but that's not particularly fast and "top 70" isn't really anything to boast about. That Talon did you a disservice.

PeteDin206 wrote:

Are you familiar with Lake Stevens bike course? Probably not, because only 3 pros went under 2:20 that day (Crowie rode a top bike split of 2:16). 3700' of elevation change with a few very step sections is a very tough bike course. I never claimed I was a top pro but at 6'3", 187lbs (at the time) it is a pretty damn fast split given the course.
Last edited by: PeteDin206: Oct 5, 16 20:12
Quote Reply
Re: Best Tri Bike for under 3k [surfNJmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The best part about riding my biggest piece of crap, waste of money, aerodynamic dog of a TT bicycle is passing bikes worth 3x as much. Thankfully money doesn't do all the talking in this sport.

Its been great for engine work. Bought it in 14, first HIM in 14, averaged around 18, ascent of <300, pancake flat. This year, almost averaged 22 at R66. So close. Not that fast for a lot of you vets but I feel I'm making good gains. Is what it is, entry level. I'm 6'6 175, the 60cm fits great and puts up with my shit, no issues and I've wrecked it.

Hoping to grab a new frame in 17, we'll see.

OP, go with the best you can get for your limit. The build up suggestion on page one was pretty spot on. Just calculate whatever add ons in the budget if you haven't (pedals, shoes, wheels). Easy to forget the price to make the bike move. Best of luck!

Regards,
J. Smith
Quote Reply
Re: Best Tri Bike for under 3k [jsmith82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that's basically what im getting out of everything, ive already got everything else (pretty much) wheels, pedals, shoes, etc. Just need some other small things and a bike to tie it all together.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
tcaldwell369 wrote:

I talked to Craig for a good 5 minutes in the VIP tent a few years back at IMKS70.3. Actually told him he's the reason I was riding Specialized & got into tri in the first place! Anyways......... I'm exactly 6/6'1 & have a good 3-4" on him. He's bt 5'9-5'10. But yes, he did ride a small Shiv! No real clue on BA or TVB's actual height

CC
Quote Reply
Re: Best Tri Bike for under 3k [ChiroCowboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
im 5'11" with about a 32.5" inseam. 175lbs, very athletic and flexible, I'm thinking about running a small, ill be honest ill be a newbie to tri bikes, but ive rode my clip ons and I loved the hunched over riding, so Im not concerned about getting something that would be "comfortable". I like the aggressive feeling. but it all comes down to the fit.

honestly even thinking about a QR PRfive, I can get one for $2900 btw so if anyone has comments about that bike id appreciate it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Diamondback Serios S is on sale $1599. Add some race wheels and you have a pretty fast bike. Love mine.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Tri Bike for under 3k [dualsport] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah its out of stock though
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tcaldwell369 wrote:
yeah its out of stock though

You need a S or M frame, I take it? Because the L and XL appear to be in stock.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: Best Tri Bike for under 3k [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah definitely, I know there's no way I want to even try a large, I'd rather try a medium, possibly a small for more aggressive feel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tcaldwell369 wrote:
that's basically what im getting out of everything, ive already got everything else (pretty much) wheels, pedals, shoes, etc. Just need some other small things and a bike to tie it all together.

Just an idea... If you can live with the groupset and wheels off your old bike. Sure it doesn't have the non-UCI legal fork, but it is a pretty damn slippery bike.

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/road-bikes/triathlon-bikes/speed-concept/speed-concept-7-series-frameset/p/1485100-2017

Quote Reply

Prev Next