Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Why Do We Pros Do This?
Quote | Reply

...run with their bikes in/out of transition with their hand on the saddle?

Is it faster?

Whenever I try to do it, the front wheel wobbles and I run into walls!
Quote Reply
Re: Why Do We Pros Do This? [smallard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Show of dominance to intimidate other competitors.....shock and awe.

Seriously though:

Ever hit your heel/foot on a pedal running full speed?

Ouch!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
smallard wrote:

Is it faster?

I'm just guessing but I bet they put a lightweight rubber band on the front just to keep the wheel in place for that 15 sec run out of transition, then once they turn the wheel hard, the rubber band pops off. I've heard of guys/girls doing this with their bike shoes also, to make getting into them while riding a bit easier.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's just much easier/faster. If you grab the bike by the bars, you can end up dragging it behind you (and the aforementioned pedal issues). If you go with one hand on the bars and one on the seat it makes it much harder to run.

I miss the '80s, when you could ride your bike in transition.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find it much easier to run with the bike while holding the sadle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What other people said: You can run WAY faster like this in/out of transition. Saves a lot of time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
smallard wrote:

Is it faster?

yes, it is
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Why Do We Pros Do This?"

Seriously, you're a pro and have no idea how to run in the fastest way with a bike? Perhaps you are considering cyclocross running?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude, bike handling 101. Learn to control your bike through balance, not steering inputs. Once you have the technique down, it's super easy and faster.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
smallard wrote:

Just takes some practice. When you feel the steerer tilting to the side, just give the saddle a little shake to get it in line again. The faster the you run, the more stable the steering axes gets though...
and: Yes, running like that is much more comfortable and fast!

if you can read this
YOU'RE DRAFTING!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At IMUK, I picked the full thing up and walked with it.

Didn't want mud on my brakes and running in cleats on mud would have had me rolling around in it ... lol

WD :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife's felt does this. You CAN'T control the front end because it's really heavy and the bearings are crazy smooth. I have never had a problem running with any other bike but I look stupid trying to run with hers.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
smallard wrote:

Is it faster?

I'm just an old age grouper and have been running with my bike by the saddle after just a few races. It is so much faster and you don't look like a total newb pushing the bike by the bars. Are you really a pro?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is much faster, avoids the dreaded shin/pedal blood donations, and it is very easy to handle the bike (if your front end is all over the place there are a couple of solutions... firstly, make sure that the headset is properly tightened, secondly, when you practice running holding the bike by the saddle, put a slight upward pressure (not actually lift) under the seat, this de-weights the back end a bit and improves the traction of the front wheel, this can be especially useful if the t-zone is on a rough surface, you should also check that the wheels are centered and properly mounted... I watched a guy lose his rear wheel over a speed bump with horizontal drop outs, because he finger threaded rather than properly using his QR skewer). It is also easy to transition from holding the bike by the seat to having your hands on the bars as you cross the mount line so that you can do a flying mount.

As others have mentioned running while holding the bars can be high risk for blood donation, and doing one hand on seat and one on the bars not only rotates your hips away from an optimal running position, it's slow and awkward, and does not mitigate the risk of smoking the pedal with your shin...
Quote Reply
Re: Why Do We Pros Do This? [Kreiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kreiger wrote:
"Why Do We Pros Do This?"

Seriously, you're a pro and have no idea how to run in the fastest way with a bike? Perhaps you are considering cyclocross running?

i think somone just doesn't understand what a pro is
Quote Reply
Re: Why Do We Pros Do This? [alien] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alien wrote:
My wife's felt does this. You CAN'T control the front end because it's really heavy and the bearings are crazy smooth. I have never had a problem running with any other bike but I look stupid trying to run with hers.

My Shiv is the same, even walking it through the garage by the saddle at an easy pace is a recipe for putting scratches on any car/wall/household pet that comes within a couple feet. Can't imagine trying to run with it during a race.
Last edited by: FlyingScot: Sep 23, 16 6:42
Quote Reply
Re: Why Do We Pros Do This? [FlyingScot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can only do it when I'm running with it. If I go slow the wheel turns on its own.
Quote Reply
Re: Why Do We Pros Do This? [ffmedic84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speed is your friend. Walking with a bike holding the saddle is less stable and the bike is more prone to wiggle. If you run with the bike, the speed stabilizes the bike and it won't wiggle. Grass makes for a bit of a bumpy ride, but it is better the faster you go.

I raced as a BOP Pro for 3 years and even my shmucky-ass knows this.
Quote Reply
Re: Why Do We Pros Do This? [ffmedic84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just like riding a bike, it's easier if you're moving at least a couple mph (due to the gyroscopic effect of the wheels).

If you look at the pros ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEF3XlPIRbg ), they have a hand on the bars to keep the front wheel straight for a stride or two until they are up to speed, then the hand comes off.

To the OP, just ride your bike (in sneakers) to a school parking lot and practice running with it. After a few minutes you'll get the hang of keeping it straight. Than work on some easy curves.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Works easier for me when the headset is tight, it makes it harder for the front end to flop around.

Ironman Certified Coach

Currently accepting limited number of new athletes
Quote Reply
Re: Why Do We Pros Do This? [Kreiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
> "Why Do We Pros Do This?"

OP here...sorry, total typo!! I've no idea where that "We" came from!

Trust me, I am no pro...!

But thanks for all the great answers!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
smallard wrote:

You have to run faster to stop the wobbles
Quote Reply
Re: Why Do We Pros Do This? [Xing triathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It depends on how your front end is setup. If you have a full, large size BTA bottle, long stem and just otherwise too much sh** on the front, then it's wobbely. Most also run really long extensions, which makes it worse.

Otherwise, yes it's easier, faster and you have more control of the bike, easy to turn while running fast. You can easily pick up the whole bike with the front of the saddle for bumps and tight turns with one arm, since that's near it's center of mass with a deep rear wheel or disc.

Also, after a proper flying dismount, It helps to grab the saddle immediately and throw the bike forward slightly to slow your momentum more and lean forward on the bike a little to gain balance. That way you can hit the ground at maybe 15mph on the first step but quickly slow to 5-6' pace.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha ha. You almost sparked another twitchhunt, causing another thread to be pulled. That was close. Thanks for updating us all.
Quote Reply
Re: Why Do We Pros Do This? [FlyingScot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FlyingScot wrote:
alien wrote:

My Shiv is the same, even walking it through the garage by the saddle at an easy pace is a recipe for putting scratches on any car/wall/household pet that comes within a couple feet. Can't imagine trying to run with it during a race.

Practice practice practice. There is no way you can't run with it. The amount of weight doesn't matter. I can run just fine with a full bottle between the aerobars.
Quote Reply