Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Thoughts on breath patterns for a new, crappy swimmer?
Quote | Reply
I'm seeking opinions - As someone who is seeking to improve his swimming - presently i breathe every second stroke, generally to the right, but i can breathe adequately on either side (just more comfortable on the right). However, my breathing to the right has resulted in a REALLY weak pull with my left arm (while i'm breathing to the right).

Should i A) breathe to the left every other length to even things out, B)breathe every three strokes to even things out, C) none of the above, or D)take two weeks off, then quit.

any thoughts?
Last edited by: Nipsy: Nov 9, 05 12:09
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on breath patterns for a new, crappy swimmer? [Nipsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'm seeking opinions - As someone who is seeking to improve his swimming - presently i breathe every second stroke, generally to the right, but i can breathe adequately on either side (just more comfortable on the right). However, my breathing to the right has resulted in a REALLY weak pull with my left arm (while i'm breathing to the right).

Should i A) breathe to the left every other length to even things out, B)breathe every three strokes to even things out, C) none of the above, or D)take two weeks off, then quit.

any thoughts?
E) learn to breathe correctly so that it doesn't affect your stroke.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: My thoughts on breath patterns for a new, crappy swimmer [Nipsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What are you doing that causes the weaker pull when you take a breath? Sounds like you need to work on your stroke mechanics, not breathing pattern.

That said, I think you should spend some time working on bilateral breathing and left side breathing, and get compfortable with them. If you can't do something comfortably, then you'll be slower. Being able to switch breathing patterns in accordance with the conditions is a useful and necessary skill for swimming in open water.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: My thoughts on breath patterns for a new, crappy swimmer [jasonk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wish i knew what i was doing that caused the weaker pull. I think I'm probably only rotating to the side i breathe on. so many issues.
Quote Reply
Re: My thoughts on breath patterns for a new, crappy swimmer [Nipsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Buy the "freestyle made easy" DVD from www.totalimmersion.net - you can't slap a bandaid on an arterial bleed.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ask your coach. If you don't have a coach yet, get one.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on breath patterns for a new, crappy swimmer? [Nipsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your head should rotate with your shoulder roll.

Turning your head has nothing to do with swimming power. Swimming is an aerobic sport which means that you need oxygen to continue. Breathe often, every stroke cycle. Would you hold your breath when your run or bike?

Work on your stroke technique.

DougStern
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on breath patterns for a new, crappy swimmer? [DougStern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply Doug - I will get the coach to watch my left arm like a hawk tonight. My suspicion is that my stroke needs to be further broken down before i can begin building up.

(oi.. where to start...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your pool is too high.
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on breath patterns for a new, crappy swimmer? [Sleestack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ha! nice one...

I should run that by the coach...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd go with A) and/or B).

Breathing one side only will probably do you more harm than good so even if you are slower breathing every three strokes, be patient. You will swimming at the same speed you were before in no time.

http://twitter.com/krepster || http://www.pedro-gomes.com || follow all the action on facebook
Quote Reply