Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Boston: Who's Registering? [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
Who told you that it is based on 6 data points? Read up on his methodology, it is all out on his blog. He does a lot of sophisticated data wrangling, based on 6 years (and a large number of marathons) worth of history.

Thanks. I just read up on his methodology. It sounds pretty thorough, but he also hasn't been able to exactly reproduce the cutoff time. His estimate for Boston 2016 was off by more than the range that he's predicting for 2017. Don't get me wrong, he's definitely close, but he has some pretty strong assumptions in his model. Most of them include consistency across years for interest in Boston. I imagine there's quite a bit of variance there. He's also not taking into account factors such as a growing interest in running across the US and factors such as a stronger economy which make it economically viable for more athletes to travel to Boston (a real factor - I skipped my first year because I didn't have the money to travel despite hitting the BQ time.) I know these factors are small and hard to model, but they do impact the results - possibly by more than five seconds. For transparency, this matters to me because my girlfriend is 54 seconds under her BQ time which is right on the limit of this guy's model. Fingers crossed that she makes it!!
Quote Reply
Re: Boston: Who's Registering? [mstange22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The BAA has the time for 2017 as 2:09 cutoff
Last edited by: nad: Sep 28, 16 9:06
Quote Reply
Re: Boston: Who's Registering? [nad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Didn't see that coming. More surprising than last year.
Quote Reply
Re: Boston: Who's Registering? [mstange22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. I thought it'd be much closer to actual qualifying time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nad wrote:
The BAA has the time for 2017 as 2:09 cutoff

Missed it by 23 seconds.

I'd like to know why they took 800 fewer qualifiers this year than last year.
Quote Reply
Re: Boston: Who's Registering? [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Charity spots, corporate setasides, etc. I am sure that all of that provides more income than the regular entries.

I got in with BQ-3:22, but it was a nerve wrecker. Next time I'll have to run smarter to get in under 5 to avoid this bullshiat.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2:09. Looks like his prediction was *substantially* off, and I am not surprised.
Quote Reply
Re: Boston: Who's Registering? [krez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, it was. part of it is definitely related to the reduction in the field size by 800, but the models definitely need some improvements.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not surprised by this in the least. While I appreciate the effort that goes into the BQ modelling that people do (as an actuary, I love stuff like this), there were some obvious shortcomings in what was being used to point to a 'no cutoff, or close to it' prediction this year. I'm interested in seeing the post mortem.

Rule of thumb remains: shoot for BQ-3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Crap - my wife missed it by 14 seconds
Last edited by: mikedonia: Sep 28, 16 21:41
Quote Reply
Re: Boston: Who's Registering? [mikedonia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank god I didn't try to register and didn't plan to go, I looked back at my most recent marathon time and I was 2:08 under BQ. One second! That would have been a tough break.
Quote Reply
Re: Boston: Who's Registering? [gmatom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was 1:59, so missed by 10 seconds. I thought about maybe registering, but never got around to it so I guess no skin off my back.
Quote Reply
Re: Boston: Who's Registering? [rjrankin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, my marathon was yesterday and I decided to go conservative for the first one and try to make it enjoyable. I ended up with a 3:15:27 (13.1 splits were 1:38, 1:36). I finished strong averaging 7:15 from miles 20-26.2. I only had one big block of training between Austin 70.3 and the marathon which culminated in a 45 mile week. I can see a BQ time as feasible, I just don't think I want to jeapordize my tri training to pursue it. What say slowtwitch? How hard would it be to shave 10-15 min of a first marathon time?
Quote Reply
Re: Boston: Who's Registering? [gd28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Absolutely doable. Also might want to check strava and see if they're still giving away free shoes if you negative split a marathon.
Quote Reply
Re: Boston: Who's Registering? [rjrankin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the cutoff was just a couple days before the race which really sucks since I run in New Balances. I'm still going to send my file in and see if they'll make an exception.
Quote Reply

Prev Next