Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Diahrrea and abdominal cramps while running
Quote | Reply
Any suggestions for preventing them? Both are really starting to intefere with my running! I haven't been able to identify any particular foods that cause either.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Diahrrea and abdominal cramps while running [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure I'd ask for advise here without checking with my GP first. Besides the most obvious (PMS, blah blah), if you're able to 'stomach' Green tea, try that. Otherwise, Immodium AD should do the job.

Good luck,

- kd

kestrel driver

DonorsChoose.org (!!!)
bogolight.com (!!!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From your post I'm assuming you ran for some time with no problems and now it's happening every time you run? It could be so many things: diet, stress, medicine, illness, etc. I'd see an internist... the Immodium AD may stop the diarrhea but it's only a band-aid and does not address the problem.

I never understand how people will pay a bike shop $100 to tune or "check-up" their bike but don't want to spend that much or less for a check-up at a doctor?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It happens to me when i try to run too soon after eating.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it happens to me when i'm dehydrated, or if i drank oj right before the run. beyond that, i have no advice. feel better!

http://www.theninjadon.blogspot.com

"The bicycle riders drank much wine, and were burned and browned by the sun. They did not take the race seriously except among themselves." -- Ernest Hemingway, The Sun Also Rises
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happens to me at the most random times. Usually about half hour into a run though...just make sure you carry T.P...or run close to a chain of gas stations!
Quote Reply
Re: Diahrrea and abdominal cramps while running [drewface05] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah the timing sounds about right there. I run on trails so I usually duck into the woods where there's no poison ivy.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: Diahrrea and abdominal cramps while running [Diablo-Advocato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have antibiotic ear drops and I know antibiotics kill the bacteria in one's body, even the good bacteria. So if the digestive bacteria aren't there, maybe that could be contributing...

Yes, I have been running for years and this is the first time I've had this issue.

Quote Reply
Re: Diahrrea and abdominal cramps while running [vidaeboa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks...

Dehydration could be an issue. I try to stay hydrated throughout the day but I don't drink much while running.

Quote Reply
Re: Diahrrea and abdominal cramps while running [vidaeboa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had issues with the OJ before running so now I don't drink it. I blame the acidity there.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try eating a piece of dry toast before running. This has worked for a number of people. Some of us have a stomach wall that folds in on itself during running, causing irritation and increased gastric production. The toast "gives the stomach something to do".

Jim
Quote Reply
Re: Diahrrea and abdominal cramps while running [lowcountry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for the suggestion - I'll try that!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dehydration could definitely be the cause. I know a few triggers for me are tortilla chips or granola bars before running. Also what I eat for lunch makes a big difference 5 or 6 hours later. Weigh yourself before and after a run, you might be very surprised if you are running ~7-10 miles and not drinking much. The first time I weighed myself before/after I was shocked to find that I had lost 3 pounds! It doesn't help that I live in the sauna called Floriduh. As you get faster you burn more energy and need to cool off more, likely sweat more and your stomach will end up with high acid levels from sucking all the water out of it to feed your body.

Mad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have this a lot. But I know why..

Usually it's the excess of fiber you eat (cacau, chocolate and fruits mostly).

http://twitter.com/krepster || http://www.pedro-gomes.com || follow all the action on facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine is caused by dairy. I had to cut it out for a couple days before I noticed a difference. Now I can't eat any during season, so I am loving the off season.

http://www.GearforMultisport.com
Quote Reply
Re: Diahrrea and abdominal cramps while running [Kimbo215] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mine almost every run(but not diarrea)..i normally run as soon as wake up in the am. it seems it relaxes my body to point of me looking for a restroom...have made friends(securty personael) in buidling i normally frequent during my runs. just a bit irritating because after a half hr. you need to stop and go. but if i go before i run i`m ok....

"Pain is NOT temporary,you remember every bit of it"
Quote Reply
Re: Diahrrea and abdominal cramps while running [Kimbo215] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm beginning to think that could be the issue. I hope not though because I looooove yogurt and get a lot of my protein from it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
May look here, may be helpful http://www.active.com/...y.cfm?story_id=12440
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know I was really upset when I had to quit eating dairy, so now its just a treat after a race. During pregnancy and 6 mo post I didn't have a problem with running and dairy, but the problem has returned.

http://www.GearforMultisport.com
Quote Reply
Re: Diahrrea and abdominal cramps while running [5280] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for the link

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OH CRAP....Here comes crappy pants again....

Does a "tigerchik" poop in the woods???
Quote Reply
Re: Diahrrea and abdominal cramps while running [dvfmfidc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
haha.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
high fibre foods close to running? dont chew extra chewing gum and go for a run..
Quote Reply