Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

i admire all triathletes but especially...
Quote | Reply
younger triathletes under 25, and older triathletes over 50. reason? the amount of discipline and pain one must endure to complete a triathlon takes a certain determination, maturity and focus (with fitness) that i never had until my 40's let alone teens, 20's or 30's. i really admire you guys and wish i had the discipline to get involved at that age.

when i think back to my 20's and 30's when i was such a lazy fat slob, i can't imagine getting motivated for a triathlon let alone a jog around the block.

and i'm hoping i have the drive and health to sustain me into my 50's 60's and 70's! these triathletes are amazing and i admire them as well. i wonder why in the tris i've done, the number of participants plummets precipitously after 45-49?

my fellow 40-somethings are driven by a severe midlife-crisis, so we don't count!! ;)
Quote Reply
Re: i admire all triathletes but especially... [cyclisto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm copuonting on at least half of you guys to drop out after 50, so I might actually win! Based on typical results, I figure I'm competitive in the women's 65-69 group.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: i admire all triathletes but especially... [frogonawire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
<<I figure I'm competitive in the women's 65-69 group. >>

There's no glory till you beat the younger amoung us.....think Kramer in karate class.....
Quote Reply
Re: i admire all triathletes but especially... [Jon499] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well, I think I could beat a typical 12-14 year old, too, but once they get into the 15 plus group...

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got beat by a 50 yo woman

Sitting at the awards dinner, bored, drinking as much free beer as I could get into me (the hippocratic oath- "If it is for free, then its for me"), my consciousness picks up the winning time of the 50yo women. Wish I hadn't heard that. 61 seconds. Wish I'd known that the day before. Couldha killed myself to get those 61 seconds. Couldha waited to pee until after the finish instead of some lava. Oh who in the hell am I kidding, I probably didn't have to go pee at all, but my brain welcomed, and was hanging on waiting for the earliest hallucinated message from the bladder as an excuse to stop.

I suck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks man, you just made my day. I did my first sprint tri the summer after my high school graduation on a mountain bike and was hooked. Since then I have been racing consistently and almost 4 years to the day after my first tri I did Ironman Lake Placid the summer after my college graduation. Sometimes I get discouraged thinking I am so far behind some of my training partners, especially on the bike, but then I realize that they are 10-20 years older than me and having been racing for over a decade. Anyway, thanks for the post.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Re: i admire all triathletes but especially... [SwBkRn44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I train with a 49 year old cyclist (I'm 26). When he can't hang on my wheel, he says, "F___ing young guys". When I can't hold his wheel, I point out that he has had 23 extra years to train.

Excuses for everyone!!!!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the post!! I am a 24 yr old grad student in the final year of my PhD and signed up for IM WI-people call me crazy...I think it is discipline and drive. I only hope to keep it up when I am 50+. Anyways, your post made my day and goes to show that you really appreciate the sport!! and competitors:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to train with a couple of professors at my college and we had the same routine, I rarely had bad days, it was always that they had 2 decades of extra training on me.

I wasn't the typical college kid, running track workouts with professors at 5am, but I loved every second of it...plus they didn't get so mad when I skipped class.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have some FANTASTIC masters in our area...I mean, the second place AG finisher at IM WI was one of our local racers...she's 46 and just SMOKES people. Honestly, our masters athletes are freakish. I'll have to make it to about 85 before I even stand a chance :-)

Of course, we have some excellent u-30 athletes too...so they'll probably still be winning then anyway. No hope for me, I guess...

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]I'm copuonting on at least half of you guys to drop out after 50, so I might actually win! Based on typical results, I figure I'm competitive in the women's 65-69 group.[/reply]

I've seen your ace. You are giving yourself too much credit. The 65-69 women are faster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i don't think its such a big deal.. I love to push my self.. I'm 21, have been hooked for the past 6 years (ok, now I feel like an addict) and love everything about the sport, the people i've met, and the feeling of pain (I do short course stuff.. none of this long IM stuff for me :))

-david
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]well, I think I could beat a typical 12-14 year old, too, but once they get into the 15 plus group...[/reply]

wanna bet?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"older triathletes over 50."

Thanks for the compliment but there's nothing to admire about me. I'm 54 and slow.
Quote Reply