Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

My (very) short IMFL report
Quote | Reply
You may know (maybe not) this was my first IM. Without much of a clue I predicted a sub-11 hour effort. My wife thought I was nuts.

I LOVED the swim and was 53rd out in 56:01. Got passed by Joe at around 11 miles and, yes, I drafted... for about 2 seconds. Lateer on, huge pacelines passed me, but for the most part I was lonely out there. Ended up with a 5:21 - even with that brutal wind - had me down to about 17 MPH back on Thomas. The run wasn't so hot. I spend the first 6 miles dealing with cramps in the quads and syrocketing heartrate. Things settled for awhile, but my plan of run 2 miles/walk a minute was thrown out the window. It became a walk at every mile aid staion and then a few in between. The second half was going much better and I had more strength and speed, up until about 20 miles when my left knee started giving out. It was close. I tried to run enough to get under 11 hours, pushing my knee to as much pain as I could tolerate and then walk. Didn't make it - 11:01 and 15th in my AG 50-54. I very happy. And, I want to thank everyone who contributes to Slowtwitch for that's where I got all my advice on doing this thing (scary thought, eh).. You guys are the best. Congrats to all the other ST finishers.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: My (very) short IMFL report [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow! 11:01 in your FIRST IM and you are 50-54! I'd say that is pretty awesome! Those winds were pretty brutal weren't they! My goal was 10:59 (as close to sub 11 as possible) and I'm 36! That should help our "smackdown" rating for sure!

Quote | Reply
Congrats on a great race.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrads. Man, would have given my left arm to have a time like that at any age, let alone at your age :o) I sure do not like getting killed by older folks. :o)

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very nice job. That was a huge swim and a very strategic bike. For us masters runners, the knees and hips are the X-factor. You set yourself up for a stellar race and hit the moon instead. AG 15th rocks!

Once again, super race.

Mr. Uncaptured External Costs

Fossil carbon is planetary poison.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

nice job...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did the salt tabs work? One minute I saw you walking...the next time I saw you, you were flying. Congrats on a great race! Nice to meet you and your family.

Andy

'You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Thinsg Are As They Are.'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats! I think you need to change your screen name.
Quote Reply
Re: My (very) short IMFL report [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Wow! 11:01 in your FIRST IM and you are 50-54! I'd say that is pretty awesome! Those winds were pretty brutal weren't they! My goal was 10:59 (as close to sub 11 as possible) and I'm 36! That should help our "smackdown" rating for sure!

shit--you guys rock. i can't believe you're on here posting, the both of you after covering all of those miles. you're both nuts! and i'm proud of yas!!!

kc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations! Great race.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Full-speed! Great job. First one, and that kind of time? REALLY impressive. PS, your wife is right, you know!

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: My (very) short IMFL report [Andy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Andy,
Really appreciate the salt. It helped. My second half of the run went much better, until my left knee started acting up. I had the energy, just couldn't take the pain.

It was a pleasure meeting you. It's funny how STr's meet - more random than planned.

I had the sign out at the swim Friday, met Miami79 - I don't think they make women much cuter than her. She pointed out HeavyD, but he was busy with the bagging. Introduced myself to Tom Z. Met a few lurkers, too.

Maybe I'll see some more at the banquet, tonight. We have to leave real early in the morning to catch a 7:00 AM flight from Pensacola, so partying is out.

Congrats to you, too!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great Race :-) It was neat seeing you on the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HS,

If YOUR old and tired ass can pull off an 11:01, heck, I have something to shoot for!!! ;)

hehehe,

Just kidding bud. Congrats on a great race!
Maybe we'll meet at the next one. I know I'm excited and ready to try another.

Trae

--
Trae McCombs
TSR - Sponsored by the Masses. Racing for the hell of it.
Ironman Finisher 2005 -- 14:09:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great job. You rock! I have no excuse at the young age of 41 for not doing my first H.I. Here I was all stressed out about doing the Half when so many of you guys are pulling off fulls. Right on, great race and keep up the good work.

Mahalo,
Matt

Know Adventure. Know Life.
No Adventure. No Life.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great Job! That's an excellent time for the first. And as you point out, contrary to what some think, we "old-timers" can do a decent time, eh? Seems like you did a good job planning a schedule, and executing it. Now enjoy the moment for a long while. As John Collind said, it's a 4 sport event......swim, bike, run, then brag for the rest of your life! Welcome to the family.

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations! How was the event overall? Organization, roads, crowds, etc.. Any good info on lodging or transportation to the event? You had to do something right, care to share any lessons learned? thank you -Steve
Last edited by: u2: Nov 6, 05 11:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great going HS!
Quote Reply
Re: My (very) short IMFL report [u2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,
Sorry I'm replying so late. I took a vacation after IMFL and have not had internet access. But, it's given me time to reflect on the whole event...

First, the Ironman, as a business is so well run, it boggles my mind the logistics of it all and to come off so well. However, there were spots of confusion that caused unecessary delays, like registration. I was in a line twenty minutes only to find, when I got to the front of the line, that I needed to get my hand stamped at another line where they verify who you are. Very lame. Inside the registration tent, there were no signs that indicated the places you needed to visit and in what order. So, basically, pre-race coordintaion could have been better.
We stayed in the host hotel - the Boardwalk Beach Resort - in the old building. What a pit! Not recommended. But, the staff was great, just the room was poor. One of those you don't even want to walk barefoot on the carpet.

Race day: The volunteers are the heart and soul of the race. It is their enthusiasm and helpfulness that really pull you through. I can't say enough positve words about them. Somehow, somewhere, I'll have to return the favor and volunteer at some races. Drafting: Much has already been said. I was very early out of the water and I got passed by at least three large groups. Any one of them I could have easily stuck with and probably reduced my ride time by up to 15 to 20 minutes. I didn't, though. I caught one of the pro women late on the bike. 15 minutes later, she went by me in a pack and I never saw her again. I guess she succumbed to the lure of the pack. How sad. On the out and back segment in the middle of the bike, I was on the return and about 30 feet behind another rider when we crossed paths with a large pack. The rider in front of me was cussing and gesturing at the pack. They ignored him, but the rush he got probably sustained him for awhile. I only chuckled. I don't know a good solution for the drafting problem. I would like to hear Jimmy Riccotello's post-race officiating summary. 'Green Grass and High Tides' by The Outlaws repeated incessantly through my mind got me through many miles. I believe my disc wheel made a large contribution to my bike time even though it was a bear in those last twelve miles. In the last few miles of the run, I caught someone and asked, "Do you tink we can make it under eleven hours?" He said he didn't think so considering he was on his first lap. I was embarrased, but he commended me on my finishing it up and I told him to hang in there, the second lap goes faster (in your mind). I couldn't hear my name called out at the finish and the "You are an Ironman!" because the crowd was so loud. I loved it, though.

The difference between pros and age groupers is not much in the swim or bike, but how well they run. It's all in the run. I'm going to have to work on runnning more. I think Ironman would have no problem starting this race an hour earlier. That would allow many more to finish with sunlight. I had the best burger of my life at the Boardwalk Cafe, outside in front of the condo building. Anybody care to highlight the Hooters party?

Quote Reply