Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM Louisville: Tips, Advice? [Lar Dog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The line gets really long really quickly.

Team Zoot
2019 Sponsors: Canyon Bikes, Garmin, Smith Optics, Gatorade, Zealios Skin Care & Sun Protection, Speedfill Products, Base Performance, Ottolock, Theragun, Boco Gear, ORR Carbon Wheel Systems, Giddy Up Multisport
Quote Reply
Re: IM Louisville: Tips, Advice? [rsmoylan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been eyeing a fall IM next year for my first. This is the biggest reason I'm leaning away from this race. Have to get in line 2 hours before you go off for a decent position (I'm a fop swimmer)?

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Between 4:30-5AM

Transition doesn't even open until 5:15.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Louisville: Tips, Advice? [Supersquid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Supersquid wrote:
Quote:
Between 4:30-5AM

Transition doesn't even open until 5:15.

Yep.

Team Zoot
2019 Sponsors: Canyon Bikes, Garmin, Smith Optics, Gatorade, Zealios Skin Care & Sun Protection, Speedfill Products, Base Performance, Ottolock, Theragun, Boco Gear, ORR Carbon Wheel Systems, Giddy Up Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So are you saying people are skipping transition in the morning to get in line before 5am?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Louisville: Tips, Advice? [Supersquid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Supersquid wrote:
So are you saying people are skipping transition in the morning to get in line before 5am?

That is how it was last year, yes. This year everyone has 16 hours to complete the race, regardless of when you enter the water, so there might be less of an urgency to get there early.

Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Re: IM Louisville: Tips, Advice? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
I've been eyeing a fall IM next year for my first. This is the biggest reason I'm leaning away from this race. Have to get in line 2 hours before you go off for a decent position (I'm a fop swimmer)?

With the elimination of the 1694 out and back, there is hardly any reason to be in the front of the swim line. Here are the old reasons:
  1. Cutoff times:

1. Swimming: now everyone gets 2:20 to finish the swim from the time you enter the water -- no advantage to be early
    2. Bike:OK, this is the one with the hard cutoff: 2:45pm to start loop 2 (50 miles to go), 6:30pm to finish bike, but if you do not make these, 16 hours is probably not in the stars no matter where you start
    3. Run: Cutoff is 16 hours from when you enter the water
  2. Dangerous bike if not out in front: with 1694 eliminated, this is not a worry
  3. Congestion on bike course: you will get more benefit from the drafts as you pass people than any negative impact of being held up a few times
  4. Transition congestion: OK, if you are an FOP swimmer and start at the front of the line, you will have a more empty T1 -- but in the scheme of things, that will not get you much time savings
  5. More crowded swim: I have started in the front 25% and at the back of the line -- unless you can get out front of everybody, the starting channel will be a little crowded and it will be wide open after the turn buoy.

Quote Reply
Re: IM Louisville: Tips, Advice? [hugoagogo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Valid arguments.

I'm still concerned about going through aid stations on the bike and collecting special needs on the bike. If you are out in front, you usually have a better chance of getting your bag quickly (or so I'm told).

The slingshot effect would be a benefit but I still don't like having to yell on your left all day long. That and I alternate putting my head down and looking down the road. With a congested bike, you really can't put your head down much...... have to be alert to those you are passing.

I guess its just mostly personal preference.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: IM Louisville: Tips, Advice? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Valid arguments.

I'm still concerned about going through aid stations on the bike and collecting special needs on the bike. If you are out in front, you usually have a better chance of getting your bag quickly (or so I'm told).

The slingshot effect would be a benefit but I still don't like having to yell on your left all day long. That and I alternate putting my head down and looking down the road. With a congested bike, you really can't put your head down much...... have to be alert to those you are passing.

I guess its just mostly personal preference.

Yeah, I get it -- we all need to try to find a race that fits our strengths and doesn't emphasize our weaknesses. Good luck wherever you go.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Louisville: Tips, Advice? [kscheiris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Weather is looking great for Sunday! Wishing everyone and myself a great a safe race! Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Louisville: Tips, Advice? [BlackandGold79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BlackandGold79 wrote:
Weather is looking great for Sunday! Wishing everyone and myself a great a safe race! Good luck!

Also, the Ohio River at Louisville became wetsuit legal last week (< 76). With the forecast through Sunday, it looks to stay that way.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Louisville: Tips, Advice? [gellerche] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gellerche wrote:
BlackandGold79 wrote:

Also, the Ohio River at Louisville became wetsuit legal last week (< 76). With the forecast through Sunday, it looks to stay that way.

I really hope it does, I dont think I could do the swim with out my wetsuit!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know I can do the swim without the wetsuit but will be much more comfortable with one!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Louisville: Tips, Advice? [buddy21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
buddy21 wrote:
I know I can do the swim without the wetsuit but will be much more comfortable with one!

Even if its not wetsuit legal, we have up to 83 degrees to wear one, correct?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My understanding is you can but you won't get an official finish if you do. is this correct?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Louisville: Tips, Advice? [buddy21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From what I just read is, you get an official finish but will not be awarded any AWA points or be able to win your age group or prizes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes you are right, so if you are just trying to finish why not wear one?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Louisville: Tips, Advice? [gellerche] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A few questions about the swim:
Is it roped off so only wrist banded people are allowed?
Is there any place to get into the water for loosening up the wet suite?
Any idea about the current?
Any idea about the current temp?
I can't seem to find any Facebook page other than the official page.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Louisville: Tips, Advice? [Ktri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ktri wrote:
I can't seem to find any Facebook page other than the official page.
There is no place to swim the morning of the race to loosen up
Last year there was zero current
non athletes can be right across the sidewalk and talk to you the entire time.
temp is dropping every day
there is a massive unofficial FB page for the race!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/885550088229312/
Quote Reply
Re: IM Louisville: Tips, Advice? [Ktri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ktri wrote:
No - athletes are told to not bring non-athletes into the line, but some do anyway.
Not on race day, but there is a practice swim on Saturday
It's supposed to be a little against you at the start and a little with you after the first turn. But I've never felt it either way except for 2014.
If you google ohio river temperature in Louisville ky, you'll get daily updates from USGS
Quote Reply

Prev Next