Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

School my LBS on the P3 Bottom Bracket
Quote | Reply
Hello,

My 2015 P3 has a creaky bottom bracket, which the LBS is recommending I correct with a new bottom bracket from Wheels Manufacturing. This is my first experience with this shop after a long relationship with Speedy Reedy here in Seattle. Speedy Reedy was all about tri-bikes, generally awesome and I trusted everything they said. I'm not there yet with the new shop. They know bikes, but I'm not sure they know tri-bikes. Time will tell.

Is the Wheels bottom bracket a good option for the P3? Any other recommendations?

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: School my LBS on the P3 Bottom Bracket [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can't ask a question like this and not tell us, at the very least, what the crank is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a wheels Mfg BBright bottom bracket on my S5 and really like it.

-Wheels mfg BB's thread into each other and provide a very secure fit that is unlikely to ever 'walk-out' of the frame and cause squeaking.

-Other BB companies (like Praxis and Rotor) also have similar threaded PF30 bb's, but they don't make BBright bottom brackets. ...So wheels mfg seems to be the best bet!

-I also have a press-fit Rotor BBright BB and have noticed that the bearings are identical between the two brands (enduro bearings). So, the only difference is the BB shell.

-for the money (starts around $55 for the basic enduro bearings), this is a very good option to consider.
Quote Reply
Re: School my LBS on the P3 Bottom Bracket [romulusmagnus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
romulusmagnus wrote:
You can't ask a question like this and not tell us, at the very least, what the crank is.

My bad....Quarq Elsa.

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
romulusmagnus wrote:

My bad....Quarq Elsa.

Scott

Check the Wheels Mfg. website to be sure but I recall that their BBRight option is not compatible with Quarq PM cranks. I believe that there is a clearance issue with the Quarq.
Quote Reply
Re: School my LBS on the P3 Bottom Bracket [GONE4ARIDE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are using a 30mm spindle then the Wheels Mfg BB is fine. The problem is only for the GXP Quarq

Wheels Mfg BBRight™ Outboard BB for use with 24/22mm spindle cranks will not work with the following Quarq SRAM/GXP cranksets: SRAM S975, SRAM S2275, CinQo Saturn, Saturn2, and Quatro. If your Quarq spider has an ID less than 49.5mm, it will not fit over our BBRIGHT-OUT cup. You will need to use one of our PF30 bottom brackets + BBright Adapter for 22/24mm Spindle Cranks (SRAM/TruVativ)

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: School my LBS on the P3 Bottom Bracket [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:

Wheels Mfg BBRight™ Outboard BB for use with 24/22mm spindle cranks will not work with the following Quarq SRAM/GXP cranksets: SRAM S975, SRAM S2275, CinQo Saturn, Saturn2, and Quatro.

Those are all old spider models. I've got a Riken on the WM BB, haven't tried the Quarq Red on there yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:
If you are using a 30mm spindle then the Wheels Mfg BB is fine. The problem is only for the GXP Quarq

Wheels Mfg BBRight™ Outboard BB for use with 24/22mm spindle cranks will not work with the following Quarq SRAM/GXP cranksets: SRAM S975, SRAM S2275, CinQo Saturn, Saturn2, and Quatro. If your Quarq spider has an ID less than 49.5mm, it will not fit over our BBRIGHT-OUT cup. You will need to use one of our PF30 bottom brackets + BBright Adapter for 22/24mm Spindle Cranks (SRAM/TruVativ)

Ok, so the devils are clearly in the details here. How do I know whether I have a 30mm spindle?

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is the spindle massive like 2 cm diameter or not that massive like 1 cm?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rotor make (or made) a press fit BB that fits the P3 and takes a Quarq Elsa (GXP). I know this for a fact because it's what I am using. I assume they also make one that fits a BB30 Elsa.

Don't ask me where it is on Rotor's website though. I was directed to a very specific link by Cervelo (Damon, via this forum, IIRC). I would go back to Cervelo CS to get chapter and verse if I were you.
Last edited by: Greg66: Jul 27, 16 20:26
Quote Reply
Re: School my LBS on the P3 Bottom Bracket [Greg66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's the rotor 4624 bbright to gxp that you're talking about
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
romulusmagnus wrote:
It's the rotor 4624 bbright to gxp that you're talking about

Yes, that rings a very loud bell. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Measure it or look to see if it the crankset has "BB30" on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
jmh wrote:

Ok, so the devils are clearly in the details here. How do I know whether I have a 30mm spindle?

Scott

romulusmagnus wrote:

UFR, it is a Quarq Elsa GXP. I used a pair of calipers to measure the spindle where it intersects with the crank and measured 28mm.

Based on the above, it looks like a problem?

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A GXP axle will measure 24mm on the drive side and 22mm on the non-drive side.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get out a ruler and measure the diameter of the spindle;). If it's 30mm, you have a BB30. If it's 22/24mm, you have GXP.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
GreatScott wrote:
jmh wrote:

Scott

romulusmagnus wrote:

UFR, it is a Quarq Elsa GXP. I used a pair of calipers to measure the spindle where it intersects with the crank and measured 28mm.

Based on the above, it looks like a problem?

Scott

It is NOT a problem. I use the wheels mfg bb on my Cervelo P5 and ride a GXP Quarq Elsa. Not a single creak. I highly recommend this setup.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
They know bikes, but I'm not sure they know tri-bikes.

How is the bottom bracket on a P3 any different to an S3 or an S5?

If their suggestion will fix creaking on an S3 (and it will) then it will fix it on a P3.
Quote Reply
Re: School my LBS on the P3 Bottom Bracket [TheFisher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just had a wheels mfg BB installed on my S3 and it still creaks :(

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Re: School my LBS on the P3 Bottom Bracket [MTBSully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
threaded PF30 one?
Quote Reply
Re: School my LBS on the P3 Bottom Bracket [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe so, I am going to ride it through august then bring it back

Quote Reply
Re: School my LBS on the P3 Bottom Bracket [MTBSully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you would know as the non-drive side would have the notched more standard looking ring on it(for tool) vs just a smooth lip at bb interface. if creaking have to wonder if it was tightened enough or enough preload on wavy washer. this is the problem with not installing oneself. you don't know what you are getting :(
Quote Reply
Re: School my LBS on the P3 Bottom Bracket [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds right, I will go raise hell and get it fixed.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Buy a SRAM force bb30 cranks and move the quarq to that crank. That's what I did.

jmh wrote:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look at Enduro's TorqTite series bottom brackets -- I believe the XD-15 line (ceramics) has a BBright --> GXP-specific bottom bracket in which the two 'halves' of the shell thread together inside the frame (similar to the Wheels Mfg version).

I installed their Torqtite BBright --> Shimano (24mm) bottom bracket in my Cervelo R5 to run a DA900 crankset -- haven't heard a creak yet (and I ran it throughout the rainy winter in Portland, OR)!
Quote Reply