Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Need help going long [user123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
user123 wrote:
WD Pro wrote:
What would your target be for an ironman ? Completion or a target time ?

WD :-)

I am not sure if setting a time goal for a first timer is smart. So lets say I double my 70.3 time and add a few hours??? Sub 12 hrs. But I might be way out to lunch on that.

Nothing wrong with time goals, but don't let a time be your only goal. Sub 12 would be very realistic for you IF you can find the time to get the training in. If you pace the bike right and don't have to walk the run, you should be able to double your 70.3 + 1 hour. As was mentioned before, Trainerroad is a great resource for bike training with limited time.
Quote Reply
Re: Need help going long [Jeff Johnson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I looked at my training over the past 20 weeks. My highest week was scheduled for 11 hrs... But I achieved 7.5 as a peek week. All other weeks were between 5 and 7 hrs. With only 6 swims total since January.

I will check out Training Peaks and re focus on not just training, but correct training. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
user123 wrote:
Power13 wrote:
user123 wrote:
. My hurdle (like so many) is juggling 55-65 hour work weeks, family, choirs etc. I don't need to sing the "woe is me song" as this is almost everybody's reality. .

Unintended typos can be funny.....

HAHAHA! Funny how that one worked out.

I took it seriously. A short leap from choirs to singing ... Even within the mixed metaphors

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Intensity for 70.3 has been, for me, the hardest to nail of all races.

Open half Mary, I'm right on the limit. OLY, just below the limit. Sprint, I'm in the red. IM, I'm just trying to delay the suffering.

But in 70.3's I've made so many pacing/effort mistakes that led to cratering the last 10K. Usually over-biking on a hot day.

Sounds like you overate! At your pace I suggest zero solid foods after 2 hrs before the race at minimum.

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Re: Need help going long [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
I am not. I'm sure I'm naïve and that there are people that have done Ironman without a coach. But in my experience, I have not seen it.

I did 2 and never had a coach and never thought of having one. At the time, I also never knew a fellow competitor who hired a coach. Times must be changing.

IIRC, triathlon "coaches" did not exist until maybe 15 yrs ago, a relatively new phenomenon. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
user123 wrote:
WD Pro wrote:

I am not sure if setting a time goal for a first timer is smart. So lets say I double my 70.3 time and add a few hours??? Sub 12 hrs. But I might be way out to lunch on that.

I don’t think that’s a million miles out if you are sensible about your approach.

My friend (self-coached) did that on his first go with very little history in the sport as a foundation (one 70.3).

I did my first IM recently (trained with the guy above and a few other friends), I just wanted to finish / not bomb out so I was over the moon with a 13:29. I know that’s really slow by some of the standards on here but for a non-sporty 41 year old with a full time job, a partner that works evenings and two young ones at home I don’t think it was a bad first go (also bear in mind it was my first tri, my first marathon, I have never cycled competitively and the last time I was in a swim or a running race was back at school …).

Be sensible on your expectations / ability. Make sure you can get some long sessions in (I was training over distance on both the swim and bike). Run after the long bike sessions. Get your nutrition and your pacing plan nailed. Soak up as much info and guidance as you can from here :-)

Quote Reply
Re: Need help going long [WD Pro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WD Pro wrote:
user123 wrote:
WD Pro wrote:

I don’t think that’s a million miles out if you are sensible about your approach.

My friend (self-coached) did that on his first go with very little history in the sport as a foundation (one 70.3).

I did my first IM recently (trained with the guy above and a few other friends), I just wanted to finish / not bomb out so I was over the moon with a 13:29. I know that’s really slow by some of the standards on here but for a non-sporty 41 year old with a full time job, a partner that works evenings and two young ones at home I don’t think it was a bad first go (also bear in mind it was my first tri, my first marathon, I have never cycled competitively and the last time I was in a swim or a running race was back at school …).

Be sensible on your expectations / ability. Make sure you can get some long sessions in (I was training over distance on both the swim and bike). Run after the long bike sessions. Get your nutrition and your pacing plan nailed. Soak up as much info and guidance as you can from here :-)

A slow clap! First tri and first marathon...you must be a monster in the genetics gene pool!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think so !

I just had a sensible plan and stuck with it.

Loved every min of it :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WD Pro wrote:
I don't think so !

Would you be willing to share your plan with me? I would love to read it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's a good place to start:
http://www.trifuel.com/...on/ironman-workouts/

Many, including myself, have used this free plan with success.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll give my 2 cents as someone part-way through the process.

I've done 10 HIMs but never a full. However I'm 2 months out from Chattanooga, my first go. I actually used to have a coach but recently parted ways purely for financial reasons. After a lot of research I settled on a stock plan that I've liked so far. The biggest change from 70.3 training, when I average 8-10 hours per week, is the long ride. You can get up early and get in a 60 mile ride and the family really never notices it (at least not mine with teens). But I've done 85 and 100 mile rides the last two weekends. First, they are a mental and physical grind that really impact your energy throughout the weekend. And second, even starting at 6am the ride, including pre and post logistics, takes up at least half your day.

As to the prognostication of how successful we first timers will be at "going long", based on my experience with all the 70.3s I know without a doubt that we won't get the pacing and nutrition right the first time. So I am going to be extremely conservative. I'm consistently sub-5 hour HIM when healthy but have not yet bought into the "double your HIM and add an hour". We'll see though as I get a better feel for long distance pacing over the next 8 weeks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
user123 wrote:
WD Pro wrote:
I don't think so !

Would you be willing to share your plan with me? I would love to read it!

Yeah no problem, let me type it up tomorrow (I only have net access on my phone at home and I am currently on dad duties anyway).

I will probably get shot down in flames for it but it worked out ok for me ... :-)

Give me a nudge if I forget lol

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, sorry for the late response – it’s turned into a bit of an essay … lol

A bit about me first and the restrictions on my training times. I work full time and my other half teaches dance in the evenings (Monday to Thursday 6:30pm to 8:30pm). We have two little ones at home (seven year old and 20 month old).

My training has to fit in around the above so weekday training starts when the other half gets home and I have already got the kids in bed etc :

Pool Swim sessions are 9:00pm to 10:00pm
Midweek runs start at 8:30pm
Friday night run starts at 7:30pm
Sunday club starts at 7:00am
Saturday open water starts at 7:30pm
Long weekend sessions start anywhere from 5:00am to 7:00am

Swim wise I started pool swims in 2014 after my friend did IMUK. No coach, but I got in with a group of guys (three ex IM) that now swim distance events (open water 5K upwards’ s to English channel). My swim guidance has come from them. The sets we do are mostly based around the Swim Smooth style CSS style training. I joined them in open water for the 2015 swim season (training only).

Bike wise, I only bought a road bike late 2015 and didn’t use it to 2016.

Run wise I did a tough mudder in 2013, again in 2014 and did two laps in 2015. My training for those pretty much consisted of running around the local fields, regardless of weather, doing anything up to 8 miles.

I signed up for Ironman in September 2015 so that’s when my training changed a little.

My swimming stayed the same and with the same group of guys.

For my bike and run sessions I started to train with a group of guys (and girls) I have known for a while (four ex IM but different ones than the swimmer group). One my partner has known for a while (My inspiration from 2014. My partner taught him, his misses and his kids dance), one was my ex sensei, my sensei’s other half and the last was my ex sparring partner. The info that came from these guys on training / past experience / local course knowledge etc was invaluable (I wondered if I should put that last sentence in pink just to really highlight it … lol).

I got my sweat tested as I knew I was a salty sweater and I knew I suffer in the heat, I also monitored my sweat rate during exercise and logged it all along with weather conditions, distance covered and heartrate etc so I could start to build a hydration / electrolyte replacement plan.

Starting September, my training week looked like this :

Monday : Rest
Tuesday : Pool swim (anywhere between 2000m to 3000m – endurance building sets)
Wednesday : Road run : steady (ramped up towards Ironman peaking at 18 miles. Some weeks running on the IMUK route).
Thursday : Pool swim (anywhere between 2000m to 3000m – endurance building sets)
Friday : Trail run : Hill repeats : short duration / high intensity (1 hour / 5 miles / 1300 ft climbing)
Saturday : Rest
Sunday : Outdoor circuit training (1.5 hour / puke worthy)

As the months passed by, the following changes were made :

When the frost came, the Sunday morning session turned into a trail run (ramping up to 12 miles / 2400ft of climbing). This was done in all weathers – in snow with the head torch on etc. All trail runs were done on the hill that overlooks the IMUK bike course big climb.

When the water got up to about 11 deg C, the Saturday morning open water session started. Either three or four loops (3000m to 4000m) depending on other plans for the day with family etc. The swim is in the IMUK swim location.

When the salt went off the roads the bike came out at a weekend (Saturday swim or Sunday run got dropped depending on family commitments). From my first 30 miles shakedown ride, the mileage stepped up consistently on a weekly basis – 30, 50, 70, 90, 105 and then 117. The 117 ride was repeated about five or six times to learn pace and nutrition etc. As I live close to the IMUK bike course, my 117 route takes me to the IMUK loop, repeats it twice (as per the race) and then takes me back home past T2 (6200 ft climbing).

All training sessions across the three disciplines were done with the food / nutrition that I planned on using on race day etc.

If I missed a session due to other commitments or if I was overly tired, so be it.

If I missed a big bike I would try to get the trainer out (nasty horrible thing lol) – 30 miles tops.

Two months before the event I started to tag a run onto the end of my bike (anything from 3 to 10 miles).

My swim taper was pretty much non-existent, I only missed the Thursday session before IM (and only because I was busy with other things – like checking the road from T1). Not tapering was purposeful, I have found that if I take a week or more of swimming I take a back step in performance.

My bike taper started one week out. Dropped the weekend ride to 47 miles (one IM loop) at an easy pace. On the Thursday before the race I did an easy 23 miles including the route from T1 to the start of the IM loop.

My run taper started 2 weeks out. Hill repeats stopped. Mileage was halfed. Last run was six miles on the Wednesday before the race.

My plan for the day was to do the swim exactly as I would a training swim. Do the bike exactly as I would a training ride (watching heart rate / lap time / average speed). Run based on heartrate (150 to 154 is my normal BPM for ‘distance’ running).

Swim went to plan, actually slightly slower than my training pace as I hadn’t accounted for lapping people and dodging breast stroke legs … (1:08).

Bike went exactly to plan (6:53).

Run didn’t quite go to plan. The best I had hoped for was a 4:30 ish but the temp really ramped up which I knew would be a problem for me (we have had really poor weather lately so I hadn’t even managed to train in the heat for the run). I managed a 5:06 which in all honesty, I was still very happy with :-) Average heartbeat was only 129 though so I must have been taking it easy … lol

I knew all along that my strongest discipline was at the start of the day and my worst would be at the end … lol

13:29 total which ultimately I am very happy with considering my age (41) / my background / first tri / first marathon etc. I think I just about crept into the top 40% of finishers (I think IMUK has approximately 20% DNF). Winning male and female pros were 8:41 and 9.26 so I don’t think it’s the fastest IM course around ?

I have no doubt that there are mistakes / holes / further opportunities with my training but hey, it worked for me and my family and I got around without killing myself lol

I really enjoyed the training. I really enjoyed the day. I really want to do another. I am just waiting (hopefully !) for the misses to give me the chance to sign up again – but I don’t want to push the decision onto her for her to feel pressurised into saying ‘yes’ …

Some pictures of my day, shamelessly screenshotted from finisherpix as I have been too tight to buy my photo package yet … lol

I am sure with your history and experience you could meet that target you have set yourself … ;-)

Good luck :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WD

Your plan looks very common sense to me. I believe that maximal performance comes from optimal training and preparation -- but, especially for first timers, there is no secret sauce. If you want to do an IM you need to put in the time in the water, in the saddle, and on your feet. It is a 140.6 mile race -- you need to get your body ready to go that far. Spend some time on Slowtwitch and absorb the collective wisdom on how to do these (for example, for running, see Barry P), figure out how it will fit in your schedule, don't overdo it (take a break if your body is telling you it needs it), obsess enough to stay consistent but not so much that you lose common sense, enjoy the training (I know its hard, but if you cannot figure out how to enjoy the hard efforts, it will be really hard to do it well), think through the logistics of how you will do the race and practice it in your training, and then go to the race not with dread, but as an opportunity to let your mind and body perform as you have prepared it to do (of course, keeping in mind that it is all about the run, so do not overcook the swim and bike ; ) ).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you very much for taking the time type your story. It's encouraging for me to hear others have the same training restrictions!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No worries, hope it helps :-)

Quote Reply

Prev Next