Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

NJ State Tri Olympic Bike Course Distance
Quote | Reply
What did people have for the NJ State Tri Olympic Bike Course Distance? They claim it was 20 miles but I had short of that.
Quote Reply
Re: NJ State Tri Olympic Bike Course Distance [russell_marks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
seriously? was that the planned distance, or did they have to modify?

last year, i had 19.4, but that was only because they had to shorten it the morning of the race. i'd be surprised if they just reused that shortened version as the full course this year.
Quote Reply
Re: NJ State Tri Olympic Bike Course Distance [climber7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah i had around 19.3 miles yesterday. disappointing they couldn't just do the 2 loop course like they had a few years ago.

it was the planned distance yesterday.
Quote Reply
Re: NJ State Tri Olympic Bike Course Distance [russell_marks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
russell_marks wrote:
What did people have for the NJ State Tri Olympic Bike Course Distance? They claim it was 20 miles but I had short of that.

Annoy's me when they do stuff like this. I did one last year that was 18.5 miles, yet could have easily been made longer. This year they did a different route but still rolling in a little shorter, despite many options to extend it.

Quote | Reply
I had 19.34

---------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: NJ State Tri Olympic Bike Course Distance [climber7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
climber7 wrote:
i'd be surprised if they just reused that shortened version as the full course this year.

They didn't. This was the planned course, according to the course information on their website.

2016 was the first NJ Triathlon that I *didn't* do, and I would guess they have had approximately seven different race-day bike courses in the first ten years. There just isn't enough reasonable real estate in that area to do a safe single-loop 40km course (they did try one of the first years, but three out-and-back sections were a real issue, and they abandoned that).

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: NJ State Tri Olympic Bike Course Distance [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
climber7 wrote:
i'd be surprised if they just reused that shortened version as the full course this year.

They didn't. This was the planned course, according to the course information on their website.

2016 was the first NJ Triathlon that I *didn't* do, and I would guess they have had approximately seven different race-day bike courses in the first ten years. There just isn't enough reasonable real estate in that area to do a safe single-loop 40km course (they did try one of the first years, but three out-and-back sections were a real issue, and they abandoned that).

Isn't there a better venue for this in the entire state of New Jersey? Somewhere in the pine barrens? Somewhere in Warren County?

This is a really expensive race for how bad it is.
Quote Reply
Re: NJ State Tri Olympic Bike Course Distance [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
klehner wrote:
climber7 wrote:

Isn't there a better venue for this in the entire state of New Jersey? Somewhere in the pine barrens? Somewhere in Warren County?

Why is this a bad race?

New Jersey happens to be the most densely populated state in the US, by the way. Finding a decent swim venue with room for a couple of thousand racers' parking and transition needs is very hard to do in NJ. Throw in the need to control the roads for many hours, and it gets even more intractable. If the decline in the Skylands triathlon participation is any guide, a likely very hard course in Warren County would not be successful.

There are races in the Pine Barrens (Shoreman, etc.). They are not very big races.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: NJ State Tri Olympic Bike Course Distance [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im on klehner's page here.
I was very happy with the race.

CGI did a solid job - the course was safe.
There were very few pot holes if any.

this has also been voted as the best race in jersey (don't quote me but I think this is actually advertised)

http://www.athlinks.com/athletes/208730390
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
klehner wrote:
climber7 wrote:

Have to disagree. I've been doing race for 5 years in a row now. Its a nice venue.....everything close together....plenty of close by free parking. The park has plenty of shade trees for spectators and hanging around afterwards. Swim is good, well marked.....lots of shade on run course....good transition area. Yes, bike course is not optimal but I've raced plenty others which weren't any better. CGI is very professional and well organized.....people who know what they are doing. Give out decent awards and food/drink afterwards.....everything on time. Yes, costs a little more but you get what you pay for.
Last edited by: gphin305: Jul 26, 16 15:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:

I had 19.4 miles.
I also have to disagree. Do this race every year, and it's always one of my favorites.
Quote Reply