Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

People with a pacemaker –  any issues swimming?
Quote | Reply
I got a pacemaker back in March and have been having issues swimming. So I wanted to see if anyone else out there has had similar experiences and, if so, how things have turned out.

After getting the pacer I had to take 6 weeks off swimming to allow the lead to heal in place, though no issues running or biking. After the 6 weeks I gradually got back in the pool: starting with a few easy 100s and building up from there. After the 6th or 7th swim my left arm started to swell a lot, even though I didn't have any swelling issues during those first few swims. The swelling went away after a couple hours but then it swelled up again then next time I was in the pool. I went to get it checked out and found I developed a blood clot in the vein impacted by the lead of the pacemaker, so they put me on blood thinners and told me not to swim (don't want to dislodge the clot). That was back in May.

I got the clot scanned again a few weeks ago and it's still there but is a lot smaller. I was given the clear to try swimming but to stop if my arm swells. I tried once a few weeks ago and had to stop by 400m because my arm was already swelling. Tried again this week and pretty much the same thing.

Anyone with a pacemaker - how long before you were able to get back to swimming? Did any of you also get a clot or have swelling issues? And if so, about how long did it take for the clot and swelling to go away? Basically anything anyone can tell me about their experience would be really appreciated.

Thanks - Brian

A bit of background, in case anyone's interested – I got the pacemaker because about once or twice a year I would pass out cold with little warning. After years of tests I finally learned it's due to an issue where my body doesn't regulate blood pressure and heart rate properly (malignant vasovagal syncope), and with a resting heart rate in the low 30s I would occasionally pass out. I was finally able to record one event last February and found out that I had a 20 second pause with no heart beat. After learning about the pause getting the pacemaker was a foregone conclusion. Now the pacer prevents my heart rate from dropping below 40 bpm.
Quote Reply
Re: People with a pacemaker –  any issues swimming? [Northy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Northy,

I don't tend to reply much but I know how distressing this must be so I thought I'd chime in. I don't have a pacemaker but I do have an implanted cardiac monitor in the same place. It doesn't have the same leads as yours and the procedure is less 'involved' but it's about the same size and sits in the same place.

My recovery was a little faster than yours. I think I was stupid and got back in the pool with a double waterproof dressing on about 1 week after the op. It wasn't a great move and it inflamed all the tissue around it so I backed off and left it to about 5-6 weeks post op. After that it was fine other than people kept asking me about the scar!

Sorry to hear about your clotting issue. If it's reoccuring, is it worth either speaking to another cardiologist or getting the current one to do a bit more digging? I've found that doctors are usually pretty good about things like this and they recognise that not swimming etc. has a big impact on quality of life, happiness etc. It sounds like it's definitely worth getting it checked out.

All the best,
Ed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Northy wrote:
I got a pacemaker back in March and have been having issues swimming. So I wanted to see if anyone else out there has had similar experiences and, if so, how things have turned out.

After getting the pacer I had to take 6 weeks off swimming to allow the lead to heal in place, though no issues running or biking. After the 6 weeks I gradually got back in the pool: starting with a few easy 100s and building up from there. After the 6th or 7th swim my left arm started to swell a lot, even though I didn't have any swelling issues during those first few swims. The swelling went away after a couple hours but then it swelled up again then next time I was in the pool. I went to get it checked out and found I developed a blood clot in the vein impacted by the lead of the pacemaker, so they put me on blood thinners and told me not to swim (don't want to dislodge the clot). That was back in May.

I got the clot scanned again a few weeks ago and it's still there but is a lot smaller. I was given the clear to try swimming but to stop if my arm swells. I tried once a few weeks ago and had to stop by 400m because my arm was already swelling. Tried again this week and pretty much the same thing.

Anyone with a pacemaker - how long before you were able to get back to swimming? Did any of you also get a clot or have swelling issues? And if so, about how long did it take for the clot and swelling to go away? Basically anything anyone can tell me about their experience would be really appreciated.

Thanks - Brian

A bit of background, in case anyone's interested – I got the pacemaker because about once or twice a year I would pass out cold with little warning. After years of tests I finally learned it's due to an issue where my body doesn't regulate blood pressure and heart rate properly (malignant vasovagal syncope), and with a resting heart rate in the low 30s I would occasionally pass out. I was finally able to record one event last February and found out that I had a 20 second pause with no heart beat. After learning about the pause getting the pacemaker was a foregone conclusion. Now the pacer prevents my heart rate from dropping below 40 bpm.

You may want to have a discussion with your doctor and the device rep as well if the device rep is the one checking your device. I wouldn't have the pacemaker pacing all the time at 40bpm that is just to waste the battery and you will need a new one sooner. Your heart has multiple pacemakers naturally and it sounds like those pacemakers work 99.9999% of the time, you only need the pacemaker when you go into Sinus Arrest. It has been a long time since I was rep and I am not sure what the lowest setting you can have but it may be appropriate to set it at 30bpm or even 20bpm. Given a setting of 20, that will give you a max of 3 seconds without a heart beat before the device kicks in.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: People with a pacemaker –  any issues swimming? [ejls2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Ed. My hope is that clotting is the only issue. Then once the clot is fully gone and the whole area is fully healed I can ideally go back to swimming as usual and I'll be able to remember this as a blip in time when I couldn't swim. I've read through several comments that Slowtwitcher Monty has written about training/racing with a pacemaker. I gather that he's had a pacemaker for years and that he's a very good swimmer with no issues. Then again I haven't seen anyone discuss the clot issue, which seems to be the root of my problem.

My cardiologist has been good about it so far. He knows how much of an impact it has on my quality of life and he's been very accessible when I have questions. He's reluctant to dig too much until the clot is completely gone. He said it could be 3-4 months since starting on thinners and that would put me around August/September, so I'm probably being impatient. I'd just really like to know if anyone else out there has had a clot due to a pacemaker and what their experience was.

Glad to hear your cardiac monitor hasn't slowed you down!
Quote Reply
Re: People with a pacemaker –  any issues swimming? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually had to talk my cardiologist down to 40 bpm, since I guess a typical lower-limit is around 60. Even as I was getting prepped for the surgery, sitting up and talking with him about the procedure he looks over and noticed I was at 33. Still, I'm not too worried about battery life. They've been monitoring it and tell me I'm being paced about 55% of the time (which of course includes sleeping), but even with it on that frequently the battery is projected to last a little over 9 years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Northy wrote:
I actually had to talk my cardiologist down to 40 bpm, since I guess a typical lower-limit is around 60. Even as I was getting prepped for the surgery, sitting up and talking with him about the procedure he looks over and noticed I was at 33. Still, I'm not too worried about battery life. They've been monitoring it and tell me I'm being paced about 55% of the time (which of course includes sleeping), but even with it on that frequently the battery is projected to last a little over 9 years.

Yes but the problem is that you don't need to paced. Truth be told, ventricle pacing 'can' IMO lead to heart failure. Heart failure is probably not what you think it is. I assume you are being paced in the Atrium which is not as bad IMO. Your doctor has probably never seen any patient like yourself, or if he/she has, very rarely.

Think of it this way, if your pacemaker is always pacing, your heart loses its ability to pace itself. You want the heart to pace itself and not forgot. This is especially important if you want your heart to be able to go up and down on its own. If I had a pacemaker, I would want it set only for this situations where I absolutely need it - when it prevents vasovagal syncope. At no other time would I want the pacemaker pacing.

We just don't know about the long-term effects of pacing in athletes from a 'younger' age, if it was me, I would choose to not have it pacing.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: People with a pacemaker –  any issues swimming? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am paced in the atrium, and given that I'm not pace-dependent I guess there isn't any reason not to set the lower limit in the 20-30 range. Good stuff for me to talk to my cardiologist about, thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply