Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Two classic bottles on the frame. Aero penalty and everyone uses it? [chobbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chobbs wrote:
This year at the TdF you finally started to see a lot of the World Tour pros using aero bottles.

http://velonews.competitor.com/...-13?tab=stage-photos

Previously they have mostly used round bottles, despite all the tunnel time the top guys do. If I had to guess, it would be two reasons. The first is that it is easy to drop an aero bottle when you are used to round....Ă  la Taylor Phinney a few years ago. Losing your bottle early is going to cost a lot more time than a small aero penalty. Second reason might be sponsor obligations. They have lots of round bottles with sponsor logos on them. If you train with aero bottles, then you eliminate most of the risk of dropping one.

This year, stage winner Dumoulin and many others used the Tacx aero bottles. Sky and Movistar, with the largest budgets and lots of focus on aerodynamics, stayed round. Sky's new Pinarello TT bike is shaped to shield a round bottle, so they mitigated the aero issue that way.

Um, no.

Aero bottles were once plentiful in the peloton....until the UCI banned restricted their dimensions. Now the only ones that conform are the the Tacx bottles.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Two classic bottles on the frame. Aero penalty and everyone uses it? [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think the UCI rule change fully explains it. UCI changed the rule for 2013.

Here are photos from the 2012 long ITT. http://www.cyclingnews.com/...012/stage-9/results/

There are more aero bottles, but still probably 50/50 round/aero among the top teams. Given the aero data I have seen, you would think that the big teams would have gone all in on aero bottles. Of course, given the aero data I have seen, on my current gear setup I should be riding in a perpetual negative drag tailwind.
Quote Reply
Re: Two classic bottles on the frame. Aero penalty and everyone uses it? [chobbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are being pedantic....I never said they we ubiquitous, I said they were plentiful. And they were....your link shows that.

You're first post also said they were "finally" using aero bottles. Your link shows that is wrong....as noted, they were once plentiful.

For a lot of those guys, they aren't that worried about aero because they aren't worried about their times.....they are just getting the ride over and done with. There are also sponsorship issues at play as well.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Two classic bottles on the frame. Aero penalty and everyone uses it? [bojan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bojan wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
bojan wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Nothing is wrong with those tires, but there are faster choices.

I have a choice of these Vittoria Corsa or Conti 4000s2

Which one should I use? My race is in 4 weeks so I have enough time :)

Neither tire is a good choice. You could make the argument the 4000s is ok for the front tire but that is about it.

OK than which one do you recommend? I am here to learn :)

The problem is the the tire I would recommend is sold out everywhere. I would say Supersonic 23mm on the front and Supersonic 23mm on the back. Given that is not going to happen the 4000s on the front and GP TT 23mm on the back are probably not bad choices.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Two classic bottles on the frame. Aero penalty and everyone uses it? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
bojan wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
bojan wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

Neither tire is a good choice. You could make the argument the 4000s is ok for the front tire but that is about it.

The problem is the the tire I would recommend is sold out everywhere. I would say Supersonic 23mm on the front and Supersonic 23mm on the back. Given that is not going to happen the 4000s on the front and GP TT 23mm on the back are probably not bad choices.

Why different for front and back? Traction? Also, what psi is the standard now? I run 400s on both, except during thorn season, then it's Gatorskins.
Quote Reply
Re: Two classic bottles on the frame. Aero penalty and everyone uses it? [mpderksen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mpderksen wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
bojan wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
bojan wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

Why different for front and back? Traction? Also, what psi is the standard now? I run 400s on both, except during thorn season, then it's Gatorskins.

I would prefer to see the SS on the front but the 4000s has proven to be an aero tire choice on the 808 and is not a bad choice for RR just not a great choice. No standard for psi, all depends on your rim, weight, etc but I think from Josh's posts that many people are running too much. Been running 80s and 90s with the 23mm SS (narrow 23mm tire) at 155lbs this year.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Two classic bottles on the frame. Aero penalty and everyone uses it? [bojan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A normal water bottle on the seat tube cost me 6-7 watts @ 25mph in the wind tunnel.

Race Reports, etc -- Bob's Bikes
Quote Reply
Re: Two classic bottles on the frame. Aero penalty and everyone uses it? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
Over 5min. in an IM for both round bottles on the frame: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eRtGIs7MeE

*****BTW, having the Garmin above your BTA bottle (vs. inline) is costing you ~40sec. in an IM.******

Is there another thread that explains more about this, i.e., Garmin above BTA?
Quote Reply
Re: Two classic bottles on the frame. Aero penalty and everyone uses it? [dcon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Xlab data:
http://www.xlab-usa.com/...ersa-cfd-testing.pdf

Garmin mounts on road bikes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emBR0gOb6oE

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Two classic bottles on the frame. Aero penalty and everyone uses it? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wiggle online has supersonics
Quote Reply
Re: Two classic bottles on the frame. Aero penalty and everyone uses it? [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, this is what I did:

Removed EVERYTHING from the frame. Removed xlab kompact (doesn't fit nice with my aerobars) and instead put this:

mounted bottle cage backwards and garmin mount in front of the bottle so everything is in line.
Returned Fizik two bottle carrier and realised that it's much easer for me to grab them when they're a little bit aside of the seat, that right behind like it's case when you have only one bottle.
Yesterday I had a 200+ km ride and I avg 35kmh with 173w (flat course, no wind, modest pace since I had a hard run(for me :)) after the bike)
At the front I had 808FC (GP4000) and 1080 at the rear (competition). It's my training setup and everything went just fine.
Thank you all for the advices, specially to Tomas Gerlach. Cheers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The aero penalty is negligible. Especially as tri setups are never super aero anyway, and such measurements are taken on TT bikes, with aero positions and at over 40kph. Use round water bottles and don't overthink it. As you say, it's 180k... there are way more parameters to take into consideration than a round waterbottle taking away 0.05W off you.
Quote Reply
Re: Two classic bottles on the frame. Aero penalty and everyone uses it? [Simjetlag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Simjetlag wrote:
The aero penalty is negligible. Especially as tri setups are never super aero anyway, and such measurements are taken on TT bikes, with aero positions and at over 40kph. Use round water bottles and don't overthink it. As you say, it's 180k... there are way more parameters to take into consideration than a round waterbottle taking away 0.05W off you.

yes, I understand that, but this setup above suits me perfect and I don't need more than 3 bottles. My next race is IM Copenhagen (flat/rolling course) and if I can save a few seconds, why not? :)
Last edited by: bojan: Aug 1, 16 0:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dig the canyons... Not too many here in Aus..I couldn't tell you if the side mounted rear bottles would cause more drag or not.... Depends on the size of your ass shielding them haha.
My last half in May was 183 av, 185np and 36.7km/hr and I have no idea if I'm a brick or not, so can't comment in your numbers.
Curiously have you tried other helmets?
Quote Reply
Re: Two classic bottles on the frame. Aero penalty and everyone uses it? [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coates_hbk wrote:
I dig the canyons... Not too many here in Aus..I couldn't tell you if the side mounted rear bottles would cause more drag or not.... Depends on the size of your ass shielding them haha.
My last half in May was 183 av, 185np and 36.7km/hr and I have no idea if I'm a brick or not, so can't comment in your numbers.
Curiously have you tried other helmets?

No, I didn't. I have two road helmets (and a road bike) but this one I am using for races
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bojan wrote:

Removed EVERYTHING from the frame. Removed xlab kompact (doesn't fit nice with my aerobars) and instead put this:

mounted bottle cage backwards and garmin mount in front of the bottle so everything is in line.
(

Can you share a shot of the cockpit with that setup?
Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
coates_hbk wrote:

The 23mm tires have been out of stock for a few months.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Two classic bottles on the frame. Aero penalty and everyone uses it? [Simjetlag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Simjetlag wrote:

Yes, but after you've addressed all of those other parameters, why not address the next biggest waste of energy. A round vs. aero, vs no bottle at all is going to be significant. For myself, helmet + race wheels + frame bottles adds up to around 40W total@25mph based on looking at my power data. Bottles are probably 8-10W of that amount. Helmet 10-15W, wheels and rear tube about 20-25W. My training wheels already have GP4000S tires and front has a latex tube. Wheels would be more, but the Bontrager Race Lite wheels I think are actually pretty aero. Its' a wide rim with a fairly good shape.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
coates_hbk wrote:

Out of stock in the 23mm. Maybe they had some briefly. I got a message from another euro company last weekend that they were back in stock, and they were, and by the time I got to checkout, they were all gone.

Quote Reply
Re: Two classic bottles on the frame. Aero penalty and everyone uses it? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:

BTW, having the Garmin above your BTA bottle (vs. inline) is costing you ~40sec. in an IM.

What about the Garmin in front of the BTA bottle? Same front area in the wind although may be a difference in drag? I have it set up in front because it's easier to read. Wondering if it costs much time
Quote Reply
Re: Two classic bottles on the frame. Aero penalty and everyone uses it? [dcon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcon wrote:

Can you share a shot of the cockpit with that setup?
Thanks.

with the bottle everything is right between the arms, in line, filling the empty space.
So far the best front hydration system I had on my Speedmax, and the best of all, partially, my idea :)
Last edited by: bojan: Aug 1, 16 11:00
Quote Reply
Re: Two classic bottles on the frame. Aero penalty and everyone uses it? [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The downtube bottle blows air away from the rider's lower legs, augmenting the downtube.

And for convenience. So, yeah, you have top world TT riders with them.

Same for the front bottle, directs some air flow away from the rider's mid-section.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Re: Two classic bottles on the frame. Aero penalty and everyone uses it? [dado0583] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dado0583 wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:

BTW, having the Garmin above your BTA bottle (vs. inline) is costing you ~40sec. in an IM.

What about the Garmin in front of the BTA bottle? Same front area in the wind although may be a difference in drag? I have it set up in front because it's easier to read. Wondering if it costs much time

Having the Garmin directly in front of the BTA is drag-neutral (i.e. same drag with and without the Garmin). Both the Xlab CFD and Specialized Win Tunnel confirm that there is no aero penalty for an inline Garmin.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good news, thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride with various setups depending on the length of ride.

I go with a re-fillable front mounted bottle with straw. I have water in there. I have 2 behind the seat bottles with water (1 bottle of water per hour). I use gels in a squeezy bottle (2-3 per hour coz I'm a fat guy and I like to eat).

For sprint and Oly, I go with one bottle, up front. for 1/2's I go with 3 bottles, refilling the front bottle from the behind the seat bottles, just twice in the ride.

For IM, I eat more solid food, but stick with water as my fluid. replacing my bottles from aid stations or from special needs, depending on how I feel.

For long solo rides, I will add two frame mounted bottles but only if there's not a gas station handy on my ride. By hydrating before I go, and accepting some dehydration, I can manage 6-7 hour rides unsupported. Those rides aren't for speed, so a bit of aero loss aint a biggie.

For behind the seat bottle holder I use a home made replica of a really really on Minoura sheet metal cage. I have it set up to hold the bottles vertically, so the bottles are completely hidden from the wind. I've ridden in that format for over 25 years.

Beware tho' I'm MOP at best, so your mileage will probably vary.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply

Prev Next