Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Mismatched wheel set for IM Boulder?
Quote | Reply
I have a Flo 60/90 setup. The 90 rear is 1) slightly dented on the brake track and 2) cursed generally.

About to put new Specialized Turbos on and send the bike away with Tri Bike Transport.

What's stopping me from running the 60 up front and a bombproof Mavic Ksyrium from my road bike (with the Turbo tire) in the rear? Might even be a good idea if it's a windy day on the high plains?

FWIW I'm not going to KQ. Would like to lay down an 11:30 ... Appreciate your thoughts/experience.

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Re: Mismatched wheel set for IM Boulder? [scofflaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Deeper is faster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
scofflaw wrote:
What's stopping me from running the 60 up front and a bombproof Mavic Ksyrium from my road bike (with the Turbo tire) in the rear? Might even be a good idea if it's a windy day on the high plains?

i'd highly recommend NOT doing that. deep front + shallow rear is actually harder to control. you might not get pushed straight sideways as much, but you'll have a harder time steering straight. going deeper in the back will stabilize things a bit, in addition to being faster.
Quote Reply
Re: Mismatched wheel set for IM Boulder? [climber7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
climber7 wrote:
scofflaw wrote:

i'd highly recommend NOT doing that. deep front + shallow rear is actually harder to control. you might not get pushed straight sideways as much, but you'll have a harder time steering straight. going deeper in the back will stabilize things a bit, in addition to being faster.

^
Listen to this. Having a front wheel deeper than your rear wheel decreases stability because it moves your center of pressure forward.

You said your wheel is cursed? Can I help in anyway? What is going on with it?

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: Mismatched wheel set for IM Boulder? [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Others are almost certainly most knowledgeable about what is optimal, but I run a FLO60 front and a shallow back (Powertap) wheel and it isn't bad. Of course, the general stability vs. twitchiness of the bike comes into play and your experience may vary.
Quote Reply
Re: Mismatched wheel set for IM Boulder? [jon.isom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jon.isom wrote:
Others are almost certainly most knowledgeable about what is optimal, but I run a FLO60 front and a shallow back (Powertap) wheel and it isn't bad. Of course, the general stability vs. twitchiness of the bike comes into play and your experience may vary.

It's definitely doable... just not the optimal set up for those who are timid bike handlers.

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Disc cover for the rear?
Quote Reply
Re: Mismatched wheel set for IM Boulder? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Disc cover for the rear?

^^^^^^^^This

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also, don't ride outside on your turbo tire, especially not in your IM.
Quote Reply