Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Flo 45/60 vs 60/90
Quote | Reply
 Decided I'm going with Flo for my wheelset and now just need to narrow it down further. Curious if anyone has the 45's, or input on 45 vs 60 front? As for me, I'm 5'9 and ~165 lbs. Definitely not a really experienced rider, so I'm passing on the 90 front. Never rode deep wheels so I don't know if 60/90 will be an issue or not. Would possibly put them on my road bike early in the season but then strictly tris through the rest of the season. I guess just wondering if the 45/60 setup is close enough to 60/90 that the difference is marginalor, or not. I will also have a Powertap gs hub on the rear.
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 45/60 vs 60/90 [imsoulrebel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You could always go 60/60.

Ive rode the 60/90 combo for the last couple years and never had a problem... but I'm a bit heavier than you. That being said I juts upgraded to 90/disc.

Any way you slice you won't go wrong with FLOs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My own $0.02 is 45/90. I used to have a 303/808 setup and it handled amazingly well in the wind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
imsoulrebel wrote:
Decided I'm going with Flo for my wheelset and now just need to narrow it down further. Curious if anyone has the 45's, or input on 45 vs 60 front? As for me, I'm 5'9 and ~165 lbs. Definitely not a really experienced rider, so I'm passing on the 90 front. Never rode deep wheels so I don't know if 60/90 will be an issue or not. Would possibly put them on my road bike early in the season but then strictly tris through the rest of the season. I guess just wondering if the 45/60 setup is close enough to 60/90 that the difference is marginalor, or not. I will also have a Powertap gs hub on the rear.

Thanks for the interest. Most people can confidently handle a front FLO 60 wheel in anything but the worst wind conditions. That said, even a training wheel is hard to control in the worst wind conditions. The 60/90 is our best selling combo, but he 45/60 is also a great option, especially if you are going to put them on a road bike and log your winter miles on them. The shallower front wheel will be even easier to control, without sacrificing much speed.

I'm currently riding a 45/45 set on my road bike and really love that wheel set. I think for an all around road/tri set, the 45/60 would be great. Additionally, now that we sell the 60 rims, you can easily have your powertap built in.

One last thing to remember if you are a tentative rider in windy conditions, is that having a rear wheel deeper than your front wheel actually helps stabilize you. The increased surface area at the back end of your bike moves your center of pressure backwards, which increases stability. Just something to keep in mind if you were considering 60/60 and are a timid rider.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Take care,

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
imsoulrebel wrote:

Did I miss out on something? I don't remember being able to lace Powertap hubs to Flo wheels
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 45/60 vs 60/90 [walie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
walie wrote:
imsoulrebel wrote:

Did I miss out on something? I don't remember being able to lace Powertap hubs to Flo wheels

Copy pasta from Flo FAQ
Compatible Rims

FLO 30 Aluminum
FLO 45 Carbon Clincher
FLO 60 Carbon Clincher
FLO 90 Carbon Clincher
Incompatible Rims

FLO 60 Aluminum + Carbon
FLO 90 Aluminum + Carbon
FLO DISC Aluminum + Carbon
FLO DISC Carbon Clincher
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 45/60 vs 60/90 [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Chris thanks for the reply.

Would 45/90 make any sense? I'm not sure how that would play out.

I guess more than anything, I lack experience more than anything, which is why the decision is hard. So if a 45/60 compared to a 60/90 setup is marginal, I guess I would roll with 45/60but, if 60/90 has a decent amount of advantages then I would go with the 60/90. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Honestly dude, I've been riding since December and around march i put a 90/90 combo sure did get a bit schetchy but was namaged easily eventually.

What I'm saying is grow a pair and dont go less than 60/90 combo... anything less is for road bikes! Lol (I'm just giving you a hard time) worst thing is to know that was easy to handle and you didn't even try! IMO.

Speed kills unless you have speed skills!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
imsoulrebel wrote:
Hey Chris thanks for the reply.

Would 45/90 make any sense? I'm not sure how that would play out.

I guess more than anything, I lack experience more than anything, which is why the decision is hard. So if a 45/60 compared to a 60/90 setup is marginal, I guess I would roll with 45/60but, if 60/90 has a decent amount of advantages then I would go with the 60/90. Thanks!

The 45/90 will also work well. You'll get the extra aero advantage of the deeper rear wheel, and a very easy to handle front wheel that is still very aero. Keep in mind that our new FLO 45 is faster than our old FLO 90, so don't think the FLO 45 is slow.

With respect to how a 60/90 compares to a 45/60, you'd be saving less than a minute over an ironman by going with the 60/90. Take that down to a 40K and you'd be less than 15 seconds.

I hope that helps,

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply