Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Where can I buy Continental Supersonics? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
It just depends on what rim you are running on. On 808 25mm it might be fine given the 16.25 ID, but on a 21mm ID it is way too wide.

Will run on zipp disc, i have run a 25mm GP4000 on my 808 with no problems.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Where can I buy Continental Supersonics? [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BBLOEHR wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
It just depends on what rim you are running on. On 808 25mm it might be fine given the 16.25 ID, but on a 21mm ID it is way too wide.

Did you read Josh's posts regarding tire width. Do you have one of these digital calipers? If you do, I would be curious at your pumped PSI, what the width of the tire measures on the 808. For me, given the rim is only 25.6mm and the tire not broken in balloons out to over 29mm, I don't like the aeroness of that, even if it only for the trailing edge of the system.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
BBLOEHR wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

Did you read Josh's posts regarding tire width. Do you have one of these digital calipers? If you do, I would be curious at your pumped PSI, what the width of the tire measures on the 808. For me, given the rim is only 25.6mm and the tire not broken in balloons out to over 29mm, I don't like the aeroness of that, even if it only for the trailing edge of the system.

Think i caught that one take home point being worn tires are slower then new tires, or did i miss something. I have some calipers at the office (not digital but work for dental work) never measured the tire but will do this week to check. I see your point with 4.4mm of ballooning out does not sound aero, the 23mm TT i rode all last yr did not balloon out like that for sure.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I put my GP4000s 25mm tire on today in prep for a race Sunday. And that this is HUGE on my Jet+ wheel. I pumped it up higher than I will, 95ish, to make sure the latex tube is set right. But I couldn't get it between the brakes without jamming it. Hopefully going down to 85ish will help. Also put my Supersonic on the front and forgot how fast that tire even looks!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Where can I buy Continental Supersonics? [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BBLOEHR wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
BBLOEHR wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

Think i caught that one take home point being worn tires are slower then new tires, or did i miss something. I have some calipers at the office (not digital but work for dental work) never measured the tire but will do this week to check. I see your point with 4.4mm of ballooning out does not sound aero, the 23mm TT i rode all last yr did not balloon out like that for sure.

Part of my specific issue is that I have a 21mm ID rim which is way wider than the 16.25mm 808. That is going to balloon out the tire. The 808, with a 25mm is going to be narrower, hence why I asked about the calipers, I am actually interested. I bet the 23mm mates very nice to the 808, then again an 808 measures widest at 27.5 so if the airflow tapers further to the brake track then further to the tire you are essentially making the wake smaller and smaller.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will check it out this week interested now to compare the 23 to 25mm and compare it on a 808 and disc will post by end of week.

Quote Reply
Re: Where can I buy Continental Supersonics? [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jrielley wrote:
I put my GP4000s 25mm tire on today in prep for a race Sunday. And that this is HUGE on my Jet+ wheel. I pumped it up higher than I will, 95ish, to make sure the latex tube is set right. But I couldn't get it between the brakes without jamming it. Hopefully going down to 85ish will help. Also put my Supersonic on the front and forgot how fast that tire even looks!

I move my SS to the back after a few hundred miles. They keep expanding and expanding. On a HED JET+ I have a 23mm SS measuring wider than 26mm.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ive got 808's with 25mm gp's . With the calipers the tires measure 27mm @ 90 psi. The wheels measure 27mm but taper down to 25ish at the break track. I cant accuratly measure the rim edge without removing the tire but Eye balling the break track it tapers about 1mm each side.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll have to see how I feel Sunday racing with the 25. If I don't feel much difference in comfort with wider tire and lower pressure I might go back to a 23 and throw the 25 on for training. But only time will tell!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just curious, are you running tire tape like stans inside it?

My standard (clincher) setup is a zipp disc in back, 808 up front with turbo cottons and latex tubes front and back.

I've never bothered with the sealant stuff in the tubes or the liner inside the tires. Just wondered if everyone else is taking unnecessary precautions or if I'm taking unnecessary risks.
Quote Reply
Re: Where can I buy Continental Supersonics? [treimink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
treimink wrote:
Just curious, are you running tire tape like stans inside it?

My standard (clincher) setup is a zipp disc in back, 808 up front with turbo cottons and latex tubes front and back.

I've never bothered with the sealant stuff in the tubes or the liner inside the tires. Just wondered if everyone else is taking unnecessary precautions or if I'm taking unnecessary risks.

Previously I have used Stan's yellow tape, but I have moved over to Silca rim tape now. Being lighter is a plus, but being thinner is why I bought it. Getting the tires on TLR rims is a real chore and any extra thickness is only got to make it that much harder.

Quote Reply

Prev Next