Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: I've never seen so much hype before in a triathlon [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, it's pretty lame that a major race supported and paid a world champion with a personality to pursue an exceptional record and that he delivered. Especially disappointing that Roth puts on event that attracts tens of thousands of supporters. If we want the sport to thrive we should want everybody to train and perform in anonymity and never show personality nor pursue records. If they do win they should only come from a difficult background and used the sport to overcome and only train and never interact with fans, especially not on social media in an attempt to build a brand.

Yes, it ia this race, Frodeno, and rhe pursuit of a record that is wrong with this sport.
Quote Reply
Re: I've never seen so much hype before in a triathlon [mkng1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mkng1 wrote:
Yeah, it's pretty lame that a major race supported and paid a world champion with a personality to pursue an exceptional record and that he delivered. Especially disappointing that Roth puts on event that attracts tens of thousands of supporters. If we want the sport to thrive we should want everybody to train and perform in anonymity and never show personality nor pursue records. If they do win they should only come from a difficult background and used the sport to overcome and only train and never interact with fans, especially not on social media in an attempt to build a brand.

Yes, it ia this race, Frodeno, and rhe pursuit of a record that is wrong with this sport.

im pretty sure, the psychological effect of getting a bonus cash pay out for breaking course record probably helped more than allegations of drafting and what not. even if this bonus isnt publicly advertised. now if WR of sub 2 for marathon was straight $10 million (no bs taxes, etc) , im sure we would see times drop.
Quote Reply
Re: I've never seen so much favoritism before in a triathlon [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll see what I can put together for you ;)
Quote Reply
Re: I've never seen so much hype before in a triathlon [Dave Latourette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave Latourette wrote:
Observations and reply to the thread in general:

- Frodeno 2-10 feet behind a lead kayak the entire time
- Bike ... there is a reason at the TDF that moto's in Time Trial are only allowed to follow. (not be alongside or ever in front, even if to the side) At Roth moto's were often next to or slightly front in Frodeno hard to believe they were alwasy 3 meters away
- 3 meters to the side? I know we have ridden in a bike lane a with a car or moto 3 meters away? Pretty quick
- Motos and cars at 25 meters in front? Same as above
- Pros had a draft zone was 20 meters but it sounds as if they were allowed to "slingshot" up to 5 meters then pass
- It appeared that even the 20 meter rule was not being enforced

Terrific performance for sure, weather was great and he had to run on his own power ... but I think it is fair to be honest about what is happening at Roth (edit: and for me that is there is an environment created for EVERYONE to go fast)

I watched a good deal of the coverage, nothing looked out of the ordinary. In terms of the Kayak, it was hard to tell based on the camera angle most of the time. His time was faster than any of the previous winners on the swim, however if it was artificially fast, others would have probably benefitted too. He was first out of the water by a bit.

The motorcycle on the bike course appeared to be more for clearing the road than anything. It's still difficult to tell with the lack of depth perception from the camera angle.

At the end of the day, aside from all of the hype, he probably didn't benefit from any different racing conditions (aside from the weather itself) than Raelert did in 2011.

After reading Brett Sutton's post from the other day, it seems Challenge got a lot of things right today.
Quote Reply
Re: I've never seen so much favoritism before in a triathlon [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kudos to Jan for being as fast as he at swim/bike/run but damn... it's like watching a ballgame go 35-0.

Still better than watching a soccer/football game at 0-0.

Quote Reply
Re: I've never seen so much hype before in a triathlon [AndresLD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As he flew by me while I was on my first lap of the bike course, the motos were not close to him at all. Def. not drafting distance.
Quote Reply
Re: I've never seen so much favoritism before in a triathlon [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
Kudos to Jan for being as fast as he at swim/bike/run but damn... it's like watching a ballgame go 35-0.

Still better than watching a soccer/football game at 0-0.

0-0 in regular league play sure....but in a tournament when you're going to penalties after 90+30 min, that 30 min becomes quite interesting....and then the penalties. I'd probably take any 0-0 game anyway over a triathlon as would my family. That's the hard thing about selling triathlon (especially long distance). The race is hard to cover, the outcome largely known early, and the amount of action is limited. There is no level of suspense where the outcome can change instantly. Marketing Jan going for a record attracts attention to the event but mainly before and after. During it is a matter of checking in a few times for 2 min checks on time splits to see if he is on pace or not.
Quote Reply
Re: I've never seen so much favoritism before in a triathlon [Marlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Marlin wrote:
To the poster that was pumped to see a Sanders-Frodeno showdown at 70.3, I think there are three or four other names that could make that race interesting like Kienle, a healthy Starky, and maybe an Aussie or two.

Starky, eh? He definitely makes things interesting.

I think there might b a Spanish dude with a big-ass chip on his shoulder who might impact the race.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: I've never seen so much favoritism before in a triathlon [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Basically there was no car anywhere near him or Ryf. Cars were super limited. Vehicles (pretty much all motos) could not get closer than 3m (side) or 25m (front) and were told to spend no more than 30 seconds there. They had two "race security" motos behind to make sure not too many bikes would A be there, and B not hang out too long.

ericmulk wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Skippy74 wrote:
Agreed with what you pointed out/said!! And would just add that I saw in the coverage that they had a special media/moto pre-race meeting to make sure that the lead racers didn't get any unfair advantage due to media motos on course--kept them away so a WB wouldn't be questioned/challenged as unfair--seems like opposite of favoritism or fixing the race.

Except that the front page article says that in the press conf media etc were asked to stay at least 25 meters ahead and 3m wide. Sorry, but that sounds like a big drafting opportunity (I still think that Frodo makes the record regardless). At North America IM events the lead vehicle is at least 200-500m ahead and there is nothing in between that vehicle and the lead rider. 25m sounds like a huge drafting opp. Hopefully someone can clarify on the size of the motorcade. It would be really a shame if there was a motorcade only 25m in front of Frodo or Ryf.

Here's what Herbert's front page article says:

Prior to race the Challenge Roth organizing team set up a media and moto meeting and put very strict rules on media and other motorbikes so that athletes at the front of the race would not have an unfair drafting advantage. All vehicles were told to have a minimum 25 meter gap when riding in front and 3 meters to the side, and the Roth team added security bikes to makes sure everything was kosher and there would not be any grey area in case of a record.

In first sentence, they say "strict rules on media and other motorbikes"; in second sentence they just say "all vehicles" but since motorbikes ARE vehicles it sounds to me like all the media coverage was via motorbike at 25 m in front of the lead biker. Perhaps someone who was actually present on the bike course during the race can fully clarify.
Quote Reply
Re: I've never seen so much favoritism before in a triathlon [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Herbert. This is what I thought based on your original article. :)

Herbert wrote:
Basically there was no car anywhere near him or Ryf. Cars were super limited. Vehicles (pretty much all motos) could not get closer than 3m (side) or 25m (front) and were told to spend no more than 30 seconds there. They had two "race security" motos behind to make sure not too many bikes would A be there, and B not hang out too long.

ericmulk wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Skippy74 wrote:
Agreed with what you pointed out/said!! And would just add that I saw in the coverage that they had a special media/moto pre-race meeting to make sure that the lead racers didn't get any unfair advantage due to media motos on course--kept them away so a WB wouldn't be questioned/challenged as unfair--seems like opposite of favoritism or fixing the race.

Except that the front page article says that in the press conf media etc were asked to stay at least 25 meters ahead and 3m wide. Sorry, but that sounds like a big drafting opportunity (I still think that Frodo makes the record regardless). At North America IM events the lead vehicle is at least 200-500m ahead and there is nothing in between that vehicle and the lead rider. 25m sounds like a huge drafting opp. Hopefully someone can clarify on the size of the motorcade. It would be really a shame if there was a motorcade only 25m in front of Frodo or Ryf.

Here's what Herbert's front page article says:

Prior to race the Challenge Roth organizing team set up a media and moto meeting and put very strict rules on media and other motorbikes so that athletes at the front of the race would not have an unfair drafting advantage. All vehicles were told to have a minimum 25 meter gap when riding in front and 3 meters to the side, and the Roth team added security bikes to makes sure everything was kosher and there would not be any grey area in case of a record.

In first sentence, they say "strict rules on media and other motorbikes"; in second sentence they just say "all vehicles" but since motorbikes ARE vehicles it sounds to me like all the media coverage was via motorbike at 25 m in front of the lead biker. Perhaps someone who was actually present on the bike course during the race can fully clarify.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply

Prev Next