Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Any new IM coming to California?
Quote | Reply
I know these rumors pop up every now and then, but today's date announcement for the Oceanside 70.3 comes with a name change as well. It will no longer be Ironman 70.3 California but Ironman 70.3 Oceanside.

Freeing up the name for a new, IM event in California maybe?
Quote Reply
Re: Any new IM coming to California? [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, there are 4 70.3s in California: Oceanside, Vineman, Santa Cruz, and Superfrog. So it makes sense to call it Oceanside rather than California.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is commonly referred to as "Oceanside" so the name change makes a lot of sense.

I am not sure California deserves another full at this point, unless it is in Oceanside.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 'California' name is just a byproduct to when IM California was a full. I'd guess the name change says more about the chances (or complete lack thereof) of it going back to a full more than it suggests any more IM branded races will be coming.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last year there was talk in Santa Cruz of turning that into a full, but I haven't heard anything since. I am still hoping for ironman San Luis Obispo , but I would be in for any North American ironman in May or June
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why would you put anything more here when the existing races in general are not even filling up?

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Any new IM coming to California? [Woodchuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The talk in Santa Cruz was before Vineman was announced ... Santa Cruz will not be an Ironman, it was in the original talks with SLO & IM Lake Tahoe ... if either of those were good venues, and better than Tahoe, they would have happened OR they would have gone back to one of those venues instead of acquiring VM.

Could SC or SLO happen in the future? Maybe, but my guess is there will need to be some logistical changes or cooperation with municipalities etc.

-------------------------
Dave Latourette
http://www.TTENation.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Benv wrote:
...Freeing up the name for a new, IM event in California maybe?

No. I don't see it happening.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Benv wrote:
I know these rumors pop up every now and then, but today's date announcement for the Oceanside 70.3 comes with a name change as well. It will no longer be Ironman 70.3 California but Ironman 70.3 Oceanside.

If you are going to bring back any race in California, bring us back IM Tahoe.
Quote Reply
Re: Any new IM coming to California? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Benv wrote:

YES

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: Any new IM coming to California? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Why would you put anything more here when the existing races in general are not even filling up?
Oceanside and Vineman 70.3 sell out in hours... Santa Cruz is fairly new as an IM branded event and Superfrog is stupid expensive. The full Vineman is also going into its 1st year as a WTC event, and is about to sell out. On top of that, chances are Texas is going away which means no ironman races in the US till July. So I think there is more than enough room on the calendar for an early season California IM...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Benv wrote:

Seems unlikely. Too much chance of cold weather and even more chance of wildfires make this a race that has a higher than usual chance of being impacted by something come race day. And eventually that will impact participation. As much as I'd love to do an IM in California I don't see myself considering Tahoe because I don't have unlimited training time, vacation time or family time to spend multiple times per season.

Now a return of IM SG on the other hand...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Benv wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Oceanside and Vineman 70.3 sell out in hours... Santa Cruz is fairly new as an IM branded event and Superfrog is stupid expensive. The full Vineman is also going into its 1st year as a WTC event, and is about to sell out. On top of that, chances are Texas is going away which means no ironman races in the US till July. So I think there is more than enough room on the calendar for an early season California IM...

I had thought that, but after a new bike course received unanimous approval at a council meeting this week, I would expect an announcement for IMTX very soon holding to the contract date of 22 Apr 2017.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Benv wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

IMLT first year sold out in days. IMV to still be open is interesting, especially when the field is limited to well below the normal IM caps. Same comment on Santa Cruz.

Quote Reply
Re: Any new IM coming to California? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Benv wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

IMLT first year sold out in days. IMV to still be open is interesting, especially when the field is limited to well below the normal IM caps. Same comment on Santa Cruz.
IMLT sold out the first year because people did not realize what the weather could be like, nor did they consider the wildfire season, nor did they know the transition areas would be a clusterfuck. The year after the participation numbers dropped significantly.

Vineman is still open but with less than 100 spots available it is as good as sold out. Santa Cruz has a tough date with it being in September with the Ironman calendar being condensed into 4 months now it's going up against the full IM races. Anyone looking to have a season with an early 70.3 plus an early IM to try to qualify for Kona won't be able to work Santa Cruz onto the schedule. I think it's just an odd time of the year for a 70.3 unless you don't race longer distances.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As well ... Vineman was announced late (almost NOV) so a great deal of athletes had already made plans and registered for other events. I also think that because of the number of athletes who have done the 70.3 and Full Vineman over the years there were many that didn't feel like it was a "new" event so i may have not had as much "shine" as otherwise. Didn't help that, Boulder, Canada, & CDA are west coast events and all within 3 weeks of VM

Vineman will be a very good event, roads are in the best shape on the bike course they have been in 20 years ... it will have some growing pains like any first year event and I'd expect future races to be improved and he quality to grow.

Dave Latourette
Quote Reply
Re: Any new IM coming to California? [Dave Latourette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with you 100%...I love the area, and the roads have improved dramatically. I love riding up there.

Not to be a total dick, but didn't you say a month or so ago, that this would sell out...no problem?

Lar Dog
Quote Reply
Re: Any new IM coming to California? [Lar Dog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure that I said that BUT a month ago I would have said it will sell out and today I will say "it will sell out" ... 5 weeks to go ;-) .... that said, if you aren't signed up by now, not sure what you would be waiting for!

Dave Latourette
Quote Reply
Re: Any new IM coming to California? [Dave Latourette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it will sell out too. Lots of competing events.
Love Vineman

Lar Dog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Benv wrote:

This!
Quote Reply