Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Home made nutrition on the bike? Baby Food?
Quote | Reply
I'm wondering if anyone here has made their nutrition for biking/running? I was thinking of making some mashed sweet potato for carbs, sodium for electrolytes and possibly other ingredients. It would be easy/cheap to make, and would be healthier than constantly eating gels on long bike rides.

Does anyone have:
- A way to transport/jar/bag?
- Recipes or ideas for other ingredients to include?

I bought a "Sweet Potato and Beets" baby food pouch and used it on my last long bike ride. The pouch was easy to carry and the mixture tasted decent (if you like plain sweet potatoes).

Let me know your thoughts on this.
Quote Reply
Re: Home made nutrition on the bike? Baby Food? [cbr shadow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cbr shadow wrote:

This sounds absolutely crazy to do, and an even bigger pain in the butt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My daughter (14 mos) loves the fruit pouches and I would absolutely take them on the bike or a trail run. They are a little more bulky than a gel or a bar (most are ~70Cal), but a nice change from traditional exercise candy.

Only thing to watch out for is some have a lot of fiber, which could lead to GI issues depending on duration/intensity of your workout.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't tell if you're trolling.

My son (9 m/o) just started with the pouches and he loves them. I think your challenge with a jar would be bulkiness and getting the food out.

Check out Feed Zone Portables if you're actually serious.

It's easy to make excuses, but excuses don't make champions.
Quote Reply
Re: Home made nutrition on the bike? Baby Food? [DunnRight] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not trolling, although I can see why the mention of baby food would make someone thing I was lol.

I do a lot of long indoor rides so the bulkiness wouldn't be much of a bother to me, even using a small jar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lots of stuff like this.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I make a homemade gel for the bike and store it in refillable baby food pouches I bought on amazon. The gel is very simple it's just a banana and chia seeds, the seeds rehydrate well in the banana then I spoon it into the baby food pouch and freeze for rides.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the baby food on long rides. Some of them have 160 kCal. Tastes better than cardboard bars or snot gets.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: Home made nutrition on the bike? Baby Food? [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like I'm not so crazy if other forum members are doing it too. Good idea on the banana + chia - I'll have to try that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've tried it on my last ride. Didn't sit right at all. May try it again another time.

My little girls like them OK. I'll eat them sometimes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cbr shadow wrote:
I'm wondering if anyone here has made their nutrition for biking/running? I was thinking of making some mashed sweet potato for carbs, sodium for electrolytes and possibly other ingredients. It would be easy/cheap to make, and would be healthier than constantly eating gels on long bike rides.

Does anyone have:

I bought a "Sweet Potato and Beets" baby food pouch and used it on my last long bike ride. The pouch was easy to carry and the mixture tasted decent (if you like plain sweet potatoes).

I think experimenting is great, while you are at it you can also try wearing a dipper, it might be fun, but not aero...
Quote Reply
Re: Home made nutrition on the bike? Baby Food? [sebo2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sebo2000 wrote:
cbr shadow wrote:

Does anyone have:

I think experimenting is great, while you are at it you can also try wearing a dipper, it might be fun, but not aero...

I'm going to assume you mean "Diaper", but I'm not sure if there would be a net loss after you factor in time saved by not having to stop to take a dump.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cbr shadow wrote:

Does anyone have:

If you cook it sufficiently there is no need to mash it. Just put a small whole potato (or large piece of one) in plastic bar or foil wrapper. Simple.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Home made nutrition on the bike? Baby Food? [jt10000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jt10000 wrote:
cbr shadow wrote:
Simple.

You know what else is simple? Drinking Gatorade. Hydration. Carbs. Electrolytes. All in one nice little package.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Home made nutrition on the bike? Baby Food? [DunnRight] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DunnRight wrote:
Check out Feed Zone Portables if you're actually serious.

This.

As long as your enthusiasm for cooking extends even marginally beyond boiling a couple of potatoes, you can make some pretty decent "real food" for the bike. There are loads of quick and tasty recipes in there, both sweet and savoury.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use this recipe and opt for Variation 1 with a small banana instead of the grapefruit juice.

http://blog.lululemon.com.au/diy-endurance-gels/
Quote Reply