Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

People with Powertap pedals: connection question.
Quote | Reply
For those of you that own the Powertap pedals and wear your watch on your wrist when riding; do you ever experience power drop outs?

I'm switching from Stages because I drop power pretty often when I am wearing my watch on my wrist as opposed to mounting it to my aerobars, and have also experienced some drop outs due to my hands covering my watch when I am completely tucked.

If you have any experience with the product and can help me it, it would be greatly appreciated! I really don't want to drop $1000 only to have the same issue I have now!
Quote Reply
Re: People with Powertap pedals: connection question. [TriowaCPA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What kind of watch? My 3 year old 910xt took a dump about 2 months ago and started dropping my Scosche Rhythm+ unless I am wearing both on the same arm. The two worked together perfectly for months and hundreds of miles beforehand. I confirmed it is a failure in the watch' internal Ant+ signal sensitivity.

So, before you totally rule out the PM, can you test with a different watch?
Quote Reply
Re: People with Powertap pedals: connection question. [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fenix 3.
Quote Reply
Re: People with Powertap pedals: connection question. [TriowaCPA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
haven't had any problems with my v800
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well rats. May not the watch.

I just got a set of P1 pedals yesterday, so it will be a few weeks of riding before I can be of any further use on this thread. But on the up side, if the P1s work with my 910, they can work with anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My P1s have been rock solid on a 920 and a 510.
Quote Reply
Re: People with Powertap pedals: connection question. [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is what I needed to hear!!

Do you have a BTA bottle or anything near your 520?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup. 520 sits right by my wrists, bta behind that. Size large Speed Concept with a decent amount of reach fwiw.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can tell you that the signal strength in the P1 is much weaker than in a PT hub. I switched this year and suddenly was seeing power drops while Zwifting. Turned out that I needed to have my ANT+ stick no further distance-wise from the pedals than the bike stem. Once I got a USB extension cable, P1s signal never dropped again.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: People with Powertap pedals: connection question. [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome.

I have mine set up the same way, but I just use a quick release for the Fenix.

Just gotta drop the $$ now. Gulp.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Yup. 520 sits right by my wrists, bta behind that. Size large Speed Concept with a decent amount of reach fwiw.

Medium sc here with edge 500 & bta....no problems.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My N of 1: I rode today with my P1 pedals and my flaky 910XT. The 910XT was perfect with the P1. It matched my 520 that was mounted on a XLab Versa 500 BTA mount.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never experienced an issue with my Fenix 3 and P1 combo dropping power.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you using more than one recording device? If so, make sure they both show the correct crank length. I've just realised this was causing issues with my P1s - well it actually wasn't an issue with them, it was an issue where my devices were showing different crank lengths and must have gotten all confused and packed a sad.

I ride:
Cervelo - P-Series/R3
GT - Sensor Carbon Expert

Supporters - Flo Cycling, Mount Bikes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the same problem with stages and my fenix 3. However, I got the 520 and mounted that and no longer experience any dropouts. Thought this might be helpful as the 520 is far cheaper than that new shiny power meter you are eyeballing!
Quote Reply
Re: People with Powertap pedals: connection question. [Calvinbal6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Too late! Stages is sold and P1's are in the mail.

Bye bye $$$$.

I used my TrainerRoad app with my iPhone and the stages and Fenix at the same time though and had drop outs to the watch specifically and not the phone (ANT+ on stages is a little more finicky to watches)
Quote Reply