Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: HRM with no strap? [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
ChrisM wrote:
Science at work right there

Would love to see science confirm it. All ears, just makes good sense, why should we sleep on the same side of the bed all our life.

My wife asks me to do this on occasion. Can't do it!

Is it a mental thing? I don't even sleep in the same bed in the case that I have a gf. She disturbs my sleep too much. When I was a kid, one of my good friends had parents that slept in separate beds, I thought it was totally weird, Fast forward 25 years later and I am all about it.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: HRM with no strap? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
ChrisM wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
ChrisM wrote:
Science at work right there

Would love to see science confirm it. All ears, just makes good sense, why should we sleep on the same side of the bed all our life.

My wife asks me to do this on occasion. Can't do it!

Is it a mental thing? I don't even sleep in the same bed in the case that I have a gf. She disturbs my sleep too much. When I was a kid, one of my good friends had parents that slept in separate beds, I thought it was totally weird, Fast forward 25 years later and I am all about it.

I think it's because I like to be next to my window. She doesn't have one nearby. When we travel if there are separate beds, even queens, we usually each take one. And mine is always closest to the a/c or window. But she doesn't disturb my sleep, I sleep like the dead
Last edited by: ChrisM: May 30, 16 19:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Thomas Gerlach and All,

While the electrical signals the heart provides are normally more detailed than pulse (I do not think you can do HRV with optical pulse) ...... it is worth noting that (as you know from working with pacemakers) the electrical signals can be missing or skipping .... and pulse is where the rubber meets the road .... is the blood pumping?

Prior to getting a Biotronic pacemaker I needed to wear my heart rate strap above my nipples to get a signal that matched my pulse.

Below my nipples gave a signal to my Garmin device that was double my actual pulse.

As to the side of the bed theory affecting posture..... hilarious ...... I sleep like I am on a spit roasting ..... and turn every couple of hours ... though I spend little time on my stomach ..... probably equal time sides and back. My wife similarly turns from side to side ...... and wakes me if I start snoring when on my back ....

I did a brief (7 day) research project as a subject for NASA and the Stanford Sleep Center wired up with a portable electroencephalography device while flying long missions ... the purpose to determine if taking cat naps of 15 to 30 minutes improved performance compared to no naps. Taking naps made marked cognitive improvements on very long missions.

NASA and Stanford have collected a lot of data and you might contact them about the theory you are 'leaning' toward.

Consider the possibility that older couples you see leaning in opposite directions have bad breath or need orthotics.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Last edited by: nealhe: May 30, 16 20:24
Quote Reply
Re: HRM with no strap? [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nealhe wrote:
Hello Thomas Gerlach and All,

While the electrical signals the heart provides are normally more detailed than pulse (I do not think you can do HRV with optical pulse) ...... it is worth noting that (as you know from working with pacemakers) the electrical signals can be missing or skipping .... and pulse is where the rubber meets the road .... is the blood pumping?

Prior to getting a Biotronic pacemaker I needed to wear my heart rate strap above my nipples to get a signal that matched my pulse.

Below my nipples gave a signal to my Garmin device that was double my actual pulse.

As to the side of the bed theory affecting posture..... hilarious ...... I sleep like I am on a spit roasting ..... and turn every couple of hours ... though I spend little time on my stomach ..... probably equal time sides and back. My wife similarly turns from side to side ...... and wakes me if I start snoring when on my back ....

I did a brief (7 day) research project as a subject for NASA and the Stanford Sleep Center wired up with a portable electroencephalography device while flying long missions ... the purpose to determine if taking cat naps of 15 to 30 minutes improved performance compared to no naps. Taking naps made marked cognitive improvements on very long missions.

NASA and Stanford have collected a lot of data and you might contact them about the theory you are 'leaning' toward.

Consider the possibility that older couples you see leaning in opposite directions have bad breath or need orthotics.

I was also part of a sleep study in college, but I slept at 14,000 feet to simulate sleep apnea, afterwards they took a blood pressure and HR for four hours. I thought it was comical because they placed the HR and blood pressure reading so I could see them. Found it interesting that everytime the HR approached 40 it would jump back up out of pure excitement.

As for electrical signals, the normal heart doesn't skip a beat, now you must have a pacemaker for a reason so your heart may, but that is where the pacemaker is designed to kick in and stimulate the heart. The depolarization of the heart, what signifies the contraction of the ventricles by the typical "big spike" you see on a EKG, still happens when the pacemaker does it job, it may appear different on 12-lead because the origination of the spike occurs from likely a different part of the heart than rather where it would have originated naturally.

Which leads me to me having my own gripes regarding HRM straps, mainly that I have always wanted them to record the HRs so I review after the fact what was counted as a heart rate. Pacemakers do a lot of filtering of noise to make sure they know when a true heart rate is happening. It is still possible if settings and filters and where the leads are to fool it occasionally. An example of this is a pacemaker dependent patient (needs a pacemaker to sustain life), maybe is having some really tough time with bowels and squeeezing a lot. I have seen it where the patient squeeze so much, so hard and enough electrical noise that that pacemaker thought it was a heart beat, doesn't pace, and then the patient passes out.

Anyway, an optical HR for a pacemaker patient does make some sense given that I don't actually know how HRM work. I assume the engineers have done their due diligence and tested and designed with pacemaker patients but maybe not. Thanks for reminder in keeping my eyes open. With that being said, there have been some studies on how accurate nurses are in taking pulses thru the wrist, you be surprised how inaccurate they were. Not saying a computer can't do a better job than a human, but just that it is tough.

WIth all the being, said I think the best option is for pacemakers to wirelessly transmit an ant+ stream. I am sure it could be done and I would have the most confidence in that method.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: HRM with no strap? [jjh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recently bought a Tomtom multisport+ with optical heart rate. Seems accurate enough. DC rainmaker has a lengthy review of it, and tested it along side a chest strap HRM. The readings were nearly identical.

The only downside is the 5 hour battery life. Guess I have my excuse to no longer race 140.6! Although now I have to up my 70.3 game...

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: HRM with no strap? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One nice thing about the Rhythm+ is you can test different locations for optical HR sensing. Back of the wrist isn't great (too bony), inside of the wrist is a little better, but forearm or side of bicep are much better (fleshier, easier for the sensor to get a good seal). That experience makes me a bit skeptical of watch-based optical HRM, and the reviews from DCR and others so far seem to confirm that skepticism.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So you tell us that :

1- you don't find Optical HR reliable, but yet have not tried the most reliable one, The Rythm+. Maybe you should give it a try, and place it correctly (user error happens)
2- "optical heart rate is a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist", yet the HR reading from my chest strap (Garmin Premium) is inaccurate on 100% of my winter runs, for at least 5 to 10min due to electrostatic issues... and it also goes crazy if I happen to be sweaty on my bike when the winds turns on.... how reliable is that ? None of that happened since I switched to Optical HR....
It comes with its limitations, such as another kind of user error (forgetting to charge it), or doesn't have enough battery life for long ride, but I still have that inaccurate chest strap for that....

Overall, I used it on about 100 training sessions and believe it is reliable and provide with better overall quality data, as you don't have those electrostatic spikes, or drops....
Quote Reply
Re: HRM with no strap? [LionelB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LionelB wrote:
So you tell us that :

1- you don't find Optical HR reliable, but yet have not tried the most reliable one, The Rythm+. Maybe you should give it a try, and place it correctly (user error happens)
2- "optical heart rate is a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist", yet the HR reading from my chest strap (Garmin Premium) is inaccurate on 100% of my winter runs, for at least 5 to 10min due to electrostatic issues... and it also goes crazy if I happen to be sweaty on my bike when the winds turns on.... how reliable is that ? None of that happened since I switched to Optical HR....
It comes with its limitations, such as another kind of user error (forgetting to charge it), or doesn't have enough battery life for long ride, but I still have that inaccurate chest strap for that....

Overall, I used it on about 100 training sessions and believe it is reliable and provide with better overall quality data, as you don't have those electrostatic spikes, or drops....

First off I will say that I don't like this companies marketing pitch to begin with. When I go to their website I see a video about "breaking free". Breaking free from what? a chest strap which is balanced on both sides of the body, and back into bondage with a cuff around a single forearm??? That is not breaking free - I don't get it. Again, maybe for different anatomies the chest strap is a problem, but for my body the chest strap causes no irritation and issues.

Secondly, look at it from my side, I have given 4 different units a try, all suffer the same problem, they lag the actual heart rate. My particular Garmin HRM Soft Strap gives me no issues whatsoever, why would I go ahead and switch to an optical heart rate? Why would I switch to an optical heart rate that has to be sufficiently tight around my forearm and that has advertised battery life of 7-8 hours and that I have to fiddle with every night to charge on a proprietary charger? I just do see any benefits for me.

For the record, my main desire to try out optical heart rate monitors was to be more educated. To have an educated discussion with people if they ask me about it and why I use what I use. I don't subscribe to the philosophy that everyone has to test everything. I gave Optical a try, today I will be doing 1/2 mile repeats, I will be using a regular Garmin HRM Soft Strap yet I have an optical in my very possession that will also be attached to my wrist but I won't be using it. That says a lot IMO.

Now if you can't get a chest strap to work, I am truly sorry. That would be no brainer for me as well if it didn't work. I no longer train in the cold so I lack that perspective and it does frustrate me when engineers only design things to work in their own environments. With that being said, the greats of this sport and other sports have been relying on Chest straps for many many years without issues.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only reason I'd consider the optical sensor is the reality that every single darn chest strap invariably fails after about a year for me. And the last 3 months of it get increasingly glitchy before it suddenly dies. I'm getting tired of buying HRMs - I've bought one every year for nearly a decade now.

And yes, I've done everything in between to try and increase the longevity, none of which are satisfactory - Garmin warrantee send-backs, replacing the batteries which has been least effective, different non-Garmin straps, replacement straps while keeping the same pod, HRM gel, rinsing the strap after every use, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: HRM with no strap? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
The only reason I'd consider the optical sensor is the reality that every single darn chest strap invariably fails after about a year for me. And the last 3 months of it get increasingly glitchy before it suddenly dies. I'm getting tired of buying HRMs - I've bought one every year for nearly a decade now.

And yes, I've done everything in between to try and increase the longevity, none of which are satisfactory - Garmin warrantee send-backs, replacing the batteries which has been least effective, different non-Garmin straps, replacement straps while keeping the same pod, HRM gel, rinsing the strap after every use, etc.

Do you wash the straps? I agree, it seems like they always die eventually. I would love to see a totally enclosed HRM unit with some sort of rechargeable battery. It seems like the battery compartment is subject to a lot of moisture. As much as one of my gripes is another charger cable, if they could find a way to make a rechargeable battery one and had 1 year life between chargers I think that would be idea.

Quote Reply
Re: HRM with no strap? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:

That's why I went optical. and yes, washed the straps every few uses... nothing. After a decent 3 months or so mine would typically stop working about 45-50 minutes into a long run, and would stop working every time if i stopped for anything longer than 2 or 3 minutes, to chat with a friend, etc. Or rather it would read 35-40 bpm. Changed the batteries and didn't help. Utterly useless, I spent way too much money on garmin and polar HRM failures
Last edited by: ChrisM: May 31, 16 12:18
Quote Reply

Prev Next