Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Question re Drafting - Vehicles on course and pelotons taking the lane - What to (legally) do?
Quote | Reply
Chattanooga 70.3, course was open to traffic, much of it on narrow two lane road with no shoulder. I've been racing for 10 years but honestly this was the first time I've ever had to deal with this issue to this extent

Ran into a situation where a group of riders ahead were bunched together (in a peloton, that's another Oprah covered in another thread) and a truck came from behind me. Truck passed me and tried to pass the group ahead but because they were not riding right and due to oncoming traffic, truck could not pass and fell back behind the pack, now in front of me. Rolling course so peloton is going anywhere from 15 to 22 mph (guesstimates) and people are also falling off the back as well as getting passed. Truck to its credit behind is trying to give them room, but slows way down to wait for a good time to pass. So now truck is in front of me, going slower than I am as it and I are catching the detritus of the peloton.
Had a second incident on a wider road coming back into town, solo rider slightly slower than me but would not go far right, and a very conscientious jeep driver would not pass him, so I am stuck behind this jeep, until he makes a right turn (probably .5 mile)

My options:
(1) I cannot pass on the left without crossing double yellow into oncoming traffic, illegal and stupid
(2) Fall back to <15 mph and sit... and wait....stupid
(3) stay as close to the truck as is safe and wait... maybe illegal, maybe stupid
(4) pass on the right.... stupid I know! but I actually did do this once in the first instance, as I felt the truck knew where I was, but I certainly risked a right hook and would have been in the wrong. But then the truck just re-passed me when there was room.

So, what to do in each case? I do my best to ride as clean a race as I can given WTC numbers and space limitations, to the point of some huge watt surges to get around groups, and purposely under-riding and free wheeling to fall back from groups and riders passing me.

In the first one I did make one pass on the right but tried to stay as far back as I could until it was resolved. But I was "penalized" as I had to slow down for that time.

In the second one I stayed behind the jeep and while I guess it was technically "drafting" as we know it for that short period, certainly violating the spirit of the WTC rule but not the letter (just checked, says "Drafting” means to remain within the draft zone (as described below) of another athlete for a period longer than 25 seconds. Drafting during the Race is prohibited; (5:00 Minute Time Penalty))." Jeep driver isn't an athlete, so.... Not suggesting that someone could legally motorpace a car, but I certainly was not getting a motorpacing benefit as it was going slower than I would be going solo.

I do have to say that the drivers I saw were very polite and conscientious. I was on the course early so really only had this issue with 3 cars, I imagine it was worse later

Was I wrong? Right?
Last edited by: ChrisM: May 24, 16 14:20
Quote Reply
Re: Question re Drafting - Vehicles on course and pelotons taking the lane - What to (legally) do? [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Technically you can't draft off a vehicle. If it isn't safe to pass, you should back off and wait outside the draft zone of the vehicle. Since it isn't safe to pass, you aren't really losing any time compared to drafting the vehicle. If you did draft the vehicle you would get an unfair rest period (even if moving slower) compared to the rest of the racers.

I have had this happen a few times and I just treat it like one of those temporary no passing zones. Sucks, but it usually clears out after a few minutes.
Quote Reply
Re: Question re Drafting - Vehicles on course and pelotons taking the lane - What to (legally) do? [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2. Take some time to get hydrated, get some calories in, stretch out, and get ready to unload some hurt on everyone when there's a clear lane to blow by.
Quote Reply
Re: Question re Drafting - Vehicles on course and pelotons taking the lane - What to (legally) do? [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and in case you were interested, a vehicle draft zone is much bigger than a cyclist
Quote:
The term "drafting zone" shall refer to a rectangular area seven (7) meters long and two (2) meters wide surrounding each bicycle. The longer sides of the zone begin at the leading edge of the front wheel and run backward parallel to the bicycle; the front wheel divides the short side of the zone into two equal parts. With respect to a moving motor vehicle, the "drafting zone" is a rectangular area extending 15 meters to each side of the vehicle and 30 meters behind the vehicle.
So you have to hang way back and technically you can't ride next to a car traveling similar speeds.

All that being said, most officials will overlook getting stuck in vehicle draft zone for a little while and give you more than the standard 15 seconds. But if you are hanging behind a school bus for 5 miles you'll get a penalty.
Quote Reply
Re: Question re Drafting - Vehicles on course and pelotons taking the lane - What to (legally) do? [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good to know, thanks

Probably never noticed before as I've never had this much congestion with cars/bikes, so it resolved quickly. These both lasted what seemed like an eternity
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a different version of this leading a small race. The race management had a lead vehicle to help alert traffic. The driver did not always stay 30 meters ahead but if I slowed down he slowed down. As an old guy, I need all the lead that I can get going into the run. I figured someone was going to get a draft so it might as well be me.

Was I cheating?
Quote Reply
Re: Question re Drafting - Vehicles on course and pelotons taking the lane - What to (legally) do? [Rambler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rambler wrote:
I had a different version of this leading a small race. The race management had a lead vehicle to help alert traffic. The driver did not always stay 30 meters ahead but if I slowed down he slowed down. As an old guy, I need all the lead that I can get going into the run. I figured someone was going to get a draft so it might as well be me.

Was I cheating?

Kinda (sin of omission, not commision). Technically the answer is "yes", but the RD would probably cut you some slack since the lead vehicle should have known the rules and not put you in that position. Ask yourself how you would feel if you were in 2nd and saw that happening up the road. The right thing to do would be to motion to the lead vehicle to give you more room.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply