Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Adding sealant to tubulars?
Quote | Reply
As posted previously, I decided to get some tubulars on my road bike. Really just for fun. Should I add sealant to them or not? Assume it is whatever your favorite sealant is if that helps not make this a "what sealant to use". I have my sealant I use in my clinchers (forget the name right now. It's green and "guaranteed" not to dry up for 5years).

Sealant in tubulars:
Pro - potential flat protection
Con - dries up and unlike a clincher, cant just swap a new tube

Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Adding sealant to tubulars? [Jnags7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Absolutely use sealant.....I have only ever had one flat in my tubies since I started using sealant and that was an object in the road that ripped a hole in my sidewall.

I have had a couple of slow leaks that I did not find until the next day, but a quick hit of sealant would take care of them.

From my understanding, the sealants that will harden over time are the ones with latex in them. I read somewhere that Caffelatex sealant (despite its name) does NOT have altex and will not harden. Dunno....haven't tried it. I usally defer to Stans or Tufo since that is what I can find locally. Never had any hardening problems, but I know that Stans will harden over time.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply