Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman & HB2 [mtcole] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Avoid Rev3 Quassy then. I cringed over the group prayer in 2014.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman & HB2 [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tsunami wrote:

That shit bothers me a lot. It's perfectly fine to say over the loudspeakers that there will be some sort of prayer or whatever happening "over there by the trucks in 5 minutes" or something and then having that be a separate thing, but I *hate* when when it becomes almost a "requirement" to listen to it.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman & HB2 [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great question: I live in North Carolina, so I struggled with this one. In the end I decided to wear a tee shirt for the race in Raleigh. FitOldDog
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman & HB2 [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriTamp wrote:
Undecided about transfer since I've had little time to consider. I disagree with the bill but it's a slippery slope of evaluating a state's political positions every time I want to race. But I'm definitely considering it.

Got the email last night. Politics have no place in sports in my opinion. As far as HB2 is concerned, I agree with what they tried to do, but not how they did it. Very poorly thought out and implemented.

Regardless, that would not stop me from going to a sporting event either way. States have the right to do what they want, within reason. We'll see if this falls within that reason, but for now ...

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman & HB2 [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
noofus wrote:
Tsunami wrote:

That shit bothers me a lot. It's perfectly fine to say over the loudspeakers that there will be some sort of prayer or whatever happening "over there by the trucks in 5 minutes" or something and then having that be a separate thing, but I *hate* when when it becomes almost a "requirement" to listen to it.

^ Word.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman & HB2 [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I completely agree.....there are a ton of issues you could theoretically be upset about with every state....but NOT attending a for-profit company's event in that state is NOT a protest to XYZ issue. It's far better to write to the state legislature and send in opinion letters to the local papers. Heck - go race in Raleigh and then stop by the state capitol building and drop some letters off right there!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman & HB2 [cestmoi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did anyone get the email with the code to transfer yet? Initial email mentioned it would be sent yesterday.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman & HB2 [RaleighTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got the email from Active with a link to transfer a few hours after I got the email from WTC.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman & HB2 [cestmoi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cestmoi wrote:
....but NOT attending a for-profit company's event in that state is NOT a protest to XYZ issue.

I disagree. Governments get a lot of taxes from athletes or spectators who travel for events like this. Money is politics.

WTC is in a tough spot and this seems like a good way to handle it.

Employees of many large companies expect their employers to have non-discriminatory policies in place, to be inclusive. Companies often come to the conclusion that being inclusive results in a more capable work force (because there are very talented people in every social category, so all should be pursued)

I suspect WTC would like to do something in protest, as many other companies have done, in support of their employees, but also want to support the athletes who have a variety of opinions and goals and with whom they also want to preserve a long-term relationship.

Giving athletes a choice accomplishes both tasks.

"If everything seems in control, you aren't going fast enough" -- Mario Andretti
Last edited by: etapaero: May 7, 16 5:08
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman & HB2 [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
japarker24 wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
gtg007w wrote:
I considered Austin since it's a bit later and Santa Cruz will mean I need to start training earlier (in like a week or so for 16 week program)...

So the bike course is bad in Austin huh? I'm not a fan of cold swim, so that's a factor I need to consider too. I did read that it ends indoors and that sounded pretty cool.

Just search ST about the Austin 70.3 and you'll see the unflattering reviews of the race. The roads are that bad. The rest of the race is fine. Decent swim, wetsuit legal but always close to the limit so probably 72-75 degrees. The run is tough but not brutal like Syracuse. There are two transition areas which makes logistics a little more difficult but it wasn't bad. There are zero hotels near the race site but traffic in and out wasn't that bad. The bike course is just awful.

But Raleigh and IMNC/IMNC 70.3 are also a 2 transition races.....

Good point. Like I said, the Austin split transition isn't that big a deal. The bike course sucks donkey balls.

I did the transfer to Austin. I really hate that f'n race but I have two travel races in the second half of this year so I couldn't do a third.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For better or worse (I'm still not sure yet), I am living in NC now and am signed up. There's really no point in transferring to another race cause this state is still taking my $$ anyway. But I have sone friends that I think can be discriminated against by the non-bathroom aspects of the bill, mostly the employment things. That bothers me a lot...what to do? Would the state even notice one more person deciding not to race here? Missing good old New England right now for sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will still be there. Would transfer if I had something a little close than the listed events.
Curious to see how many will transfer out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so, let me ask this to all of the purported "tolerant" folks:

if the transgender guy (who identifies as a woman) wants to race a triathlon, should that person be allowed to race as a woman ?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman & HB2 [adablduya1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
adablduya1 wrote:
so, let me ask this to all of the purported "tolerant" folks:

if the transgender guy (who identifies as a woman) wants to race a triathlon, should that person be allowed to race as a woman ?

I couldn't care less.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman & HB2 [OCD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OCD wrote:
I really don't like what to me seems like a purely political move. How many Q3 or Q4 full distances are even open at this point? What about any of the races in the Middle East, or any other place where they wouldn't even dream of this type of loophole? Do people get to defer from that too??

Of course, there is an element of a double standard here. However, I think one caveat would be that when you sign up for a race in the Middle East, there political, customs, religious interpretations, practices and society (phrase how you will), are already established, fully documented and information to make your decision on race participation freely available. In this instance, it's feasible athletes who opposed this legislature could have signed up prior to the bill being passed, and these people are the ones the policy will benefit.
Quote Reply

Prev Next