Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Protecting a Wetsuit on Race Day?
Quote | Reply
I posted this over at Beginner Triathlete and one of the members suggested I bring my question over here to see if I couldn't get more answers.

A few weeks ago I raced in the Charleston Half and, in the process, trashed my Xterra Vortex.

T1 and T2 were at different locations so the race organizers supplied five gallon plastic bags for T1. Anything you put in the bag they transported to the finish, which was also T1, so all the gear was in one place at the end of the day.

After my swim (it was a freshwater lake swim, by the way) I put my inside-out suit in the bag (along with my goggles, flip flops, towel, and cotton jacket). The bike and run portion of the race took me about 5:17. I ate a piece of pizza and drank a coke before I collected my gear and drove the fifteeen minutes back to where I was staying. When I got there and pulled my stuff out of the bag, I could see that parts of the suit had melted together and then torn apart when I pulled it out. As the high for the day was 73, this really surprised me.

Even though this seems like a really ordinary way to treat a triathlon wetsuit, the warranty department at Xterra insists that this is "use related damage" and won't cover it.

I'm going to patch it and try to make do with that, but in the mean time, does anyone have any advice about what I could have done (or should do in the future) to keep the suit from melting during races?
Last edited by: chrisbundrick: Apr 29, 16 6:32
Quote Reply
Re: Protecting a Wetsuit on Race Day? [chrisbundrick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sorry to hear about this.

I've left my wetsuit in a plastic bag in much warmer days and never had an issue. I'm interested to hear if others agree with Xterra on this; I certainly don't.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never left my wetsuit in a plastic bag out in the sun before, but I am surprised at Xterra's response on this. I suppose I could see how it could happen, given that a plastic bag will bake in the sun with the humidity of a damp wetsuit, but it doesn't seem like something that should happen. I'd argue it's Xterra's quality issue. Good luck with this. Let us know how it turns out, I'm an Xterra owner as well and so far, I've been very happy with their product. Hopefully they do right by you.
Last edited by: IHOP: Apr 29, 16 6:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sure my wetsuits have been subjected to much more severe conditions than this. My guess is that either it was damaged in transportation such as being left in a hot car or exposed to some kind of chemical at some point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bizarre. Wetsuits are almost all made from the same small set of available neoprenes and coatings, and the odds the particular materials were defective here seem very low. I'm thinking super hot car and/or interaction of some other chemical, e.g. vaseline?
Quote Reply
Re: Protecting a Wetsuit on Race Day? [niccolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
niccolo wrote:
Wetsuits are almost all made from the same small set of available neoprenes and coatings...

Not all suits use the same rubber. Particularly in entry level suits.

To the OP, if you send me a PM, I may be able to help you out here.

Jake

Get outside!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never seen or heard of a wetsuit that melted like that? Typical race day damage is small tears from fingernails or from stepping on the legs to get them off the feet, or someone else steps on my wetsuit in transition in their bike cleats. I've done two hot point-to-point halfs. Temps were high 80s to 90 and the wetsuit was in a plastic bag all day. It was just fine. I wouldn't expect otherwise. Strange what happened there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Many/most IM races have your wetsuit in a bag the rest of the day. I've never taken particularly good care of my bag and sometimes don't unpack 'til the next even....never a problem.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
suprised no one has written it yet, but that doesn't surprise me with Xterra. They are the suit we all get to start then move on to a better suit with better customer service a year or so later. An Xterra falling apart and their refusal to help a customer out is par for the course unfortunately.
Quote Reply
Update Re: Protecting a Wetsuit on Race Day? [Darren325] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to everyone for their valuable input .

Glynn from Xterra contacted me and made it clear that he didn't think the suit had performed up to spec.

I sent the suit back so he could test the materials and he sent a replacement suit right away. He even talked to me about resizing along the way and the new suit fits much better.

All in all, I'm a pretty satisfied customer.

Chris
Last edited by: chrisbundrick: May 18, 16 14:27
Quote Reply
Re: Update Re: Protecting a Wetsuit on Race Day? [chrisbundrick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrisbundrick wrote:
Thanks to everyone for their valuable input .

Glynn from Xterra contacted me made it clear that he didn't think the suit had performed up to spec.

I sent the suit back so he could test the materials and he sent a replacement suit right away. He even talked to me about resizing along the way and the new suit fits much better.

All in all, I'm a pretty satisfied customer.

Chris

Congrats, glad it worked out. :)
Quote Reply