Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Simon Yates positive test [Robert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Robert wrote:
Great info. Many thanks for that heads up. I'm on formoterol and flovent and never used the "troubled" inhalers. I also assumed that pros needed a Tue for asthma meds. Only in this case sounds like a serious mistake by a doc over there prescribing this Med?

Yeah, if it's just your regular GP then their job is to keep you alive and healthy, they don't care and likely don't have the time to check WADA or Global DRO etc….for your average AG athlete, that's your job or maybe your coaches job.

In this case it looks like they just went in for testing and signed on the form that he was taking terbutaline, basically admitting to doping without knowing it…..I don't know 100% what happened, just reading snippets from the internet

Like you say total F**K UP, the doctors should know this stuff (If their job is something like a medical director of a cycling team). But so should the athlete, perhaps the coach, perhaps people at British cycling etc etc….

On a side note the bigger issue I think is who is applying for and getting a TUE for Terbutaline??? IE there is stuff out there which works and is legal, so why is there a TUE for that?

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Simon Yates positive test [adktriguy46] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
adktriguy46 wrote:
Man I feel like this one came from nowhere. Anybody have anymore info on what he tested positive for? I always felt that OGE sailed a pretty clean ship.

so his team is taking the blame for not applying for a TUE. This implies to me that getting a TUE for this is pretty much automatic.
Quote Reply
Re: Simon Yates positive test [Runguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runguy wrote:
adktriguy46 wrote:
Man I feel like this one came from nowhere. Anybody have anymore info on what he tested positive for? I always felt that OGE sailed a pretty clean ship.

so his team is taking the blame for not applying for a TUE. This implies to me that getting a TUE for this is pretty much automatic.
interesting article here

http://cyclingtips.com/...-amongst-pro-riders/

I ride:
Cervelo - P-Series/R3
GT - Sensor Carbon Expert

Supporters - Flo Cycling, Mount Bikes
Quote Reply
Re: Simon Yates positive test [UKINNY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No disrespect but as a brit who isn't blinded by patriotism and idealism your comment made me laugh. Speaking generally the narrative we are presented with is that its just a few bad apples here and there and the pesky Ruskies, Chinese and more recently Kenyans who dope. English speakers would never do such a thing... I think the unfortunate reality is doping is widespread in sports especially as it gets more competitive and there is more financial gain to be made.
Quote Reply
Re: Simon Yates positive test [ilovetri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As soon as I wrote that I knew I would be taken apart

You are of course right

A little too patriotic and blinded by that

I prefer to see the good however !

Cheers Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Simon Yates positive test [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:

FIFY.

Not very many - less than I would have expected. Wonder what happened in 2009/2010 - some popular drug went off the banned list?

Edit: In fact there's a clear linear descent. Wonder if that's because fewer guys are asking, or they're getting harder to get?
.Was 2009/10 the year that salbutamol no longer required a TUE?
Quote Reply
Re: Simon Yates positive test [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
Robert wrote:
The Brits are a great people. You have your share of idiots though. I spent 3 years in England and loved every minute, including playing tennis at Queen's Club, Wimbledon, and riding some awful roads with chip seal. ;)

I hope Simon gets a mere slap on the wrist. As I recall, amateurs don't need a TUE for their asthma meds these days, though it wasn't always so. No intent, slight foul, IMHO for Simon.

-robert

The issue is that there are likely a couple of hundred inhalers out there and probably 99% are good and won't run you afoul of WADA, testing authorities. Likely 99% don't require a TUE or any other exemption.

One of the bad ones is Terbuatline, or specifically in Canada "bricanyl turbo inhaler"

In another doping thread about a year ago I mentioned this, for the life of me I can't understand how SKY with the big budget and various medical professionals didn't know which inhalers were good and which were bad.

The other issue is that Terbutaline appears to be widely assigned (at least in Canada) as one of the first inhalers after someone has had an attack, but never had one before. If you've ever seen an attack first hand with someone who has no previous history….it is scary as shit.

It doesn't appear to be assigned by GP's in the U.S. For whatever reason, not sure of drug laws etc. But with recent positives in NZ (age grouper) and now UK it looks like it is being used quite a bit in other countries.

I hate doping, intentional cheating etc as much as the next guy. However I do think that there are a lot "accidental dopers" out there on this inhaler, they are in for a really bad experience if they ever get tested.

Public shaming, loss of the ability to pursue your passion, a permanent black mark on your reputation because you didn't spend 5 minutes researching Global DRO and the WADA list.

So….I'll say it again, if anyone is on this inhaler or any "terbutaline" inhalers…then check your shit, talk to your GP and find an alternative.

Maurice

here in Mexico the very first inhaler i ever used was clenbutsomething - the one that everyone knows - clenbutamol or something. anyway i think it is an anabolic steroid injected but it is primarily used here in the inhaler form. i didn't know much when it was prescribed but ONLY BECAUSE OF THIS FORUM it rang some kind of bell and i didn't fill the prescription. came home and found it is definitely a no-go injected and i didn't even look to see if inhaled was okay - just went with a different one. i had to try a few (QVAR, Pulmicort, budesonide, etc.) and finally have a daily longacting and emergency inhaler that are legal.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Re: Simon Yates positive test [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
because different asthma meds work or don't work for different people. i was getting constant attacks on QVAR and while Pulmicort worked better it wasn't quite enough. i wanted to save Advair for a last resort as it was, at that time (now there is Breo Elipta and Xonair or something) the strongest one. so while it worked best i wanted to keep it in my back pocket in case i needed it later on (as asthma tends to get worse) so i kept cycling through different maintenance and LABA drugs to try to find one that would control and still not have to use the strongest ones (leaving room for future needs).

also, i don't know about other asthmatics or not but i am constantly trying NOT to take meds. for a couple days i have been getting tighter and tighter because i'm apparently on my annual quest to prove i don't need the meds and after reading this thread i literally got up, found the maintenance inhaler and holding chamber and took my hits and then had to do albuterol because i have a flare brewing and now my chest is feeling lighter. so thanks to this thread for getting me back on my maintenance before i had an attack.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Last edited by: kathy_caribe: Apr 30, 16 10:06
Quote Reply

Prev Next