Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trek BB90 Carbon Wearing Away - Warranty Question [THesel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
THesel wrote:
This is exhibit A for why press-fit bottom bracket bearings are an incredibly dumb idea.
I think it's more of an exhibit why pressing the bearings directly in to carbon, rather than a sleeve (like PF30), is a sub-optimal design.
Quote Reply
Re: Trek BB90 Carbon Wearing Away - Warranty Question [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl,

The fix is to insert a permanent carbon sleeve to add material.

The Trek warranty department was excellent and turned the bike around in 2 days after receiving it.

Still unfortunate the customer is stuck paying several hundred dollars for disassembly and reassembly of a bike due to a design defect, but that is a battle for another day.
Quote Reply
Re: Trek BB90 Carbon Wearing Away - Warranty Question [adc13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that fix is news to me. thanks for checking back in.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Trek BB90 Carbon Wearing Away - Warranty Question [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I was told the best thing to do is remove the bearings and clean every 6months.

This is the best thing to do for ANY bearing.

Given my experience with bearings, I would agree. I also tend to be lazy so I tend to end up having to replace bearings every 12 months.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl wrote:
that fix is news to me. thanks for checking back in.

that is what they told me as well but the over-sized bearings that they sent fixed the issue so I didn't have to ship my bike.

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Trek BB90 Carbon Wearing Away - Warranty Question [LuisDF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love the way all the threaded BB holdups come out of the woodwork when this happens.
I have seen more threaded alloy inserts in carbon frames de-bonded and turning in the frame than problems with pressfit.
There are plenty of screw BB's that are not cut straight and bearings don't last due to misalignment.

That's why the push to pressfit, less problems.

What the screw type holdouts are really saying is that they want metal frames.........
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bike arrives back today so the total down time will be about a month when it is finally reassembled. The kick in the nuts is that Trek confirmed today I am responsible for all labor costs. I don't understand how a company can sell an item with a known material defect and then pass the cost of fixing the defect onto the customer. It seems like good cause for a class action.
Quote Reply
Re: Trek BB90 Carbon Wearing Away - Warranty Question [adc13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a 2015 Trek Domane. The BB90 was replaced by a shop back three months ago. (I am taking it back in tomorrow) The thing is there are a couple threads online saying it is a sweat and liquid design issue. Just hoping the masses have a thought. I am having the issue of the one set of bearings getting something in them I think.

Anyone had this kind of issue?
Quote Reply

Prev Next