Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Nike Women's Marathon/Half Marathon Volunteer Report
Quote | Reply
Just got back from doing the early volunteer shift at the Nike Women's Marathon and Half Marathon--over 15,000 women of all shapes, sizes, looks, speeds, motivations and reasons for running. Probably a few hundred men running too. And, 4,200 TNT runners included in that total. Any of you single ST guys, here was your chance! ;-)

The one very interesting thing is that quite a few gals came up to our table (aid station at the start) to get water and downed salt packets (like you get at McDonalds), or, asked us for salt. WTF???? Is this the kind of information that's being disseminated? It's 50F, foggy and cold...perfect marathon weather, not 90F sunny and humid like Kona last weekend.

They also had way more volunteers than needed, which is great. That's what happens when you hit the high schools and the kids get credit for volunteering, plus, they were getting paid. They also hired a temp agency who sent a number of volunteers.

Lots of first-time racers there and the other telling difference between an all (or mostly all) women's race and not....gals would come up to the tables and ask if they could take a cup of water, then find the trash and drop their used cups in the trash, or, bring the cup back up for a refill. Made clean up really fast as we only had to pick up a few stray cups tossed on the ground.

Time for a nap. The 4AM alarm was really early.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Nike Women's Marathon/Half Marathon Volunteer Report [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was out there this morning too (after staying at the Cal game until 11PM) - you were probably right across the street from my group manning the bag check! I was lucky enough to be holding the banner at the start and got to see the entire group run by on their way to the official start. The end was not so good, volunteer-wise - when we dropped bags off at the race finish, we still had plenty of volunteers, but it was so terribly organized that they're probably still sorting out bags.

There were 1000 men in the race, and 14000 women (who all seemed unconducive to flirting, but maybe thats the problem with being in the very front of the race), but I think a lot of men crashed the course.

Highlight of the race: a guy showed, looking totally "in the zone", wearing brand-new Nike Free shoes and getting ready to run a marathon (or half-marathon).
Quote Reply