Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM Raleigh 70.3 [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
I wonder if anyone here who raced on Sunday noticed the MASSIVE water temp drop out by the first turn buoy? Very similar to the drastically cooler water out by the 2nd turn buoy in the inaugural race (2013).

Yep, I noticed it. That was the point at which I felt like my swim was still going well. Sigh. . .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
Brooks Doughtie wrote:
RD's/officials can "find" cooler water

I wonder if anyone here who raced on Sunday noticed the MASSIVE water temp drop out by the first turn buoy? Very similar to the drastically cooler water out by the 2nd turn buoy in the inaugural race (2013).

You were only experiencing the effect of swimming past the athlete pee zone.

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
Brooks Doughtie wrote:
RD's/officials can "find" cooler water

I noticed the temp drop.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Raleigh 70.3 [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have thought about this since the race last Sunday. I remember at the slowtwitch road show, that Mark Allen made the point that he needed to do over distance workouts and also workout in the heat of the day. I realized then that was some of the issues when I have stepped up to longer races such as IM and HIM. I had intentions to follow that advise but life just got in the way. I have in the past kinda faked my way through on flat courses held on cool days, but it was not going to cut it on a hillier course in the heat. Judging people leaving T2, I do not think I was alone in not being properly prepared. So I volunteered instead. I have walked up and down Hillsborough Street in the heat before and figured three times was enough. Hello short course racing.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Raleigh 70.3 [triguy1956] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy1956 wrote:
Judging people leaving T2, I do not think I was alone in not being properly prepared.

I was probably one of those that helped you come to that conclusion. LOL!!

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triguy1956 wrote:
Mark Allen made the point that he needed to workout in the heat of the day.

I do my weekend runs in the summer in the afternoons, specifically during the hottest part of the day to prepare for hot races. It does help.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: IM Raleigh 70.3 [Runner Rick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironman website now has June 5, 2017 (used to say "TBD/To Be Determined"). Since that is a Monday, I'm assuming they mean June 4, 2017.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When they do that revision, they need to take the "r" out HEART in their tag line under the location on the opening page.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triguy1956 wrote:
I have thought about this since the race last Sunday. I remember at the slowtwitch road show, that Mark Allen made the point that he needed to do over distance workouts and also workout in the heat of the day. I realized then that was some of the issues when I have stepped up to longer races such as IM and HIM. I had intentions to follow that advise but life just got in the way. I have in the past kinda faked my way through on flat courses held on cool days, but it was not going to cut it on a hillier course in the heat. Judging people leaving T2, I do not think I was alone in not being properly prepared. So I volunteered instead. I have walked up and down Hillsborough Street in the heat before and figured three times was enough. Hello short course racing.

I think one of the worst decisions I ever made was - when training for Louisville IM 2010 - doing long rides and runs starting at or around 11-12pm in June/July in NC. Heat acclimation can be done in a variety of ways, some much better and healthier than others.
Quote Reply

Prev Next