Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kestrel Failure....
Quote | Reply
I do not want this to be a bitch session. I have lsitened carefully to this forum and have made decisions based on information I have received here. I feel I owe it to the folks on this forum to hear about my situation.

About 1 week ago I heard a strange rattle in my Kestrel. Different than any of the other rattles I hed heard before. I located the rattle to be a loose water bottle cage. When I got home I took and allen wrench to see if the bolts were tight. One of the screws spun around as if it was stripped. When I looked closer i noticed that the internal rivet was completly stripped from the frame.

I returned to my LBS who called Kestrel to explain the situation. Kestrel says that this is not a defect in manufacturing and is not a warranty issue. Not only that but they do not think they can fix it.

So my LBS owner breaks the news and explains to me that my warranty is between Kestel and myself and there is nothing he can do. I listen to this as I see 5 new airfoils in the background and say " you have no pull at Kestrel??". He explains "no"... "no ore than you do" "Good Luck"

I am baffled by this...
Quote Reply
Re: Kestrel Failure.... [XFalcon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that really blows. Did you try Kestrel directly? I know a friend of mine who had some warranty issues with a company; in the end neither of us think the LBS even sent it in. They also stiffed him with "warranty" ultegra shifters, giving him 105's instead.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you ask about the Crash replacement program if they won't bite on the Warranty replacement. I think you can get a new frame pretty much at cost, if your frame is damaged.

-------------
"Knowledge is good" - Emil Faber
Quote Reply
Re: Kestrel Failure.... [Strider124] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes.... they quote 25% off. What a joke!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmm ... just pulled this off the Kestrel site, looks like it should be no more than 65% of msrp:

"No-Fault" Warranty:

If your Kestrel frame, fork or accessory is damaged in a way not covered by the foregoing warranty - an accident, for example -KESTREL will exchange it for a new product (of similar model type and value to the damaged product) at a greatly reduced cost to you.

Your replacement cost will vary depending on the age of the product, but will be no more than 65% of the current manufacturer's suggested retail price at the time of the exchange. Ask your dealer or KESTREL for details and the current replacement cost. This offer applies only to the original consumer purchaser for as long as the original consumer purchaser owns the product.

-------------
"Knowledge is good" - Emil Faber
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Let's assume they blow you off. Is it just where the screw goes in? Try getting a little plastic or rubber ring, shim or screw holder (basically a little plastic screw hole you could screw something into) and some krazy glue and just stick it in the hole and glue it there. Then screw the water bottle cage back in and complain about Kestrel for the next 3 years until you get a new bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Kestrel Failure.... [goolsbee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The old Trek 2300s used to have water bottle bosses epoxied on top of the carbon fiber, didn't they? Might be an option. SInce the tube is not round, theold water bottle cage clamps probably wouldn't work.

I would, however, raise holy hell with Kestrel and the LBS. The shop I used to work in had huge issues with Kestrels cracking all the time.

What ever you do, be sure to go to a local sign shop and have them letter your down tube with "Kestrel Sucks, Ask Me Why!" Use big letters and go hang out at a lot of race even if you are not foing them.

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. i sorta think it's wear and tear if it's more than, say, 3 years old
2. it's fixable. i'm pretty sure you could epoxy a new nutsert in there.
3. who's your LBS? (PM or privately email me).

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello

This happens with a lot of frames from a lot of makers. Basically the threaded insert is a threaded pop rivet. It is mechanically bonded to the frame and can loosen over time. Many times they can be reset and a lot of bike shops have the tool for this so try calling around. If not a bit of epoxy glue (make sure not to get it in the threads) judiciously applied should hold it just fine. Finally the insert can be removed and a new one put in, again a lot of shops could do this, as can some frame builders. I'm not sure why this seems to be a mystery to both kestrel and your LBS, but getting a new frame over this makes as much sense as buying a new car when the windshield wipers are worn.

(note that this is based on your description, not all wb bosses are made this way and I dont remember Kestrels specifically.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another valid conern aptly handled by ST'ers. Well done.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.cyclingforums.com/t24272.html

Check this out for more on rivnuts.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: Kestrel Failure.... [smtyrrell99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the help. I think I have decided to try and fix it myself. Not sure it warrants sending the bike back to Kestrel and paying shipping charges. Thanks for the help and fix tips. You may see another thread if I need more help with the fix.

Thanks again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This may not be a frame 'failure' as much as a fault caused my poor workmanship when assembling the bike, the nut may have been over or under tightened causing it to come loose.

Either way its probably an easy fix. The alloy fittings in the frame are Rivnuts and are simply a threaded rivet. Any decent bike shop or frame builder should be able to help you out, at a reasonable price.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FWIW-the sleeve inside the seat tube of my 10-year-old Kestrel cracked last year, rendering the bike useless. LSB was worthless. We contacted Kestrel directly, boxed the frame up and sent it back to them. About ten days later I had a brand new frame - no charge! I was truly surprised as I would have thought the crack was due to a decade's worth of normal wear and tear. I found Kestrel's customer service and willingness to stand behind their product commendable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like LBS failure to me.
Quote Reply