Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hyponatremia article in NYT
Quote | Reply
Marathoners Warned About Too Much Water By GINA KOLATA Published: October 20, 2005

Dr. Lewis G. Maharam, the medical director for the New York City Marathon and marathons in San Diego, Phoenix, Nashville and Virginia Beach, said he was taking every opportunity this year to educate runners about the biggest threat to their lives on race day - drinking too much water. He knows the danger: in their zeal to avoid becoming dehydrated, runners may end up drinking so much that they dilute their blood. Water rushes into cells, including cells of the brain. The swollen brain cells press against the skull, and the result can be fatal. The resulting condition is known as hyponatremia - too much water.

"There are no reported cases of dehydration causing death in the history of world running," Maharam said. "But there are plenty of cases of people dying of hyponatremia."

No one knows how many have died, said Dr. Arthur Siegel, the chief of internal medicine at McLean Hospital in Belmont, Mass., and the designated hyponatremia team leader for recent Boston Marathons. But he said that perhaps a dozen hyponatremia deaths had been recognized, according to informal communications among doctors at recent marathons.

So this year, for the first time, the participant handbook for runners in the Nov. 6 New York City Marathon tells them how much to drink - no more than eight ounces of water every 20 minutes.

Maharam also makes sure the message is delivered via television shows that feature news about the marathon. He makes an announcement at the start of the marathon about how much to drink. And there will be a flier in the goody bags telling each runner, once again, of the dangers of drinking too much.

Even though Gatorade is one of the sponsors and the race features Gatorade's new sports drink, Gatorade Endurance Formula, Maharam said that sports drinks were no better than water. Eight ounces of fluid every 20 minutes is plenty.

But it is a message that is not always heard. Last year, one percent of the more than 35,000 New York City marathoners were hospitalized with hyponatremia, Maharam said, and although that is a smaller toll than in other cities' marathons, doctors say every one of those life-threatening medical emergencies could have been avoided.

To make matters worse, medical treatments for hyponatremia are often disastrous. Some doctors mistakenly think the runner is dehydrated and give intravenous fluids.

The extent of the problem may go far beyond the number of runners who have been hospitalized for it. A recent study of runners in the 2002 Boston Marathon found that 13 percent who finished the race had hyponatremia. And those were runners who thought they were fine and were just participating in a study. If such a runner continued to drink after the marathon, perhaps thinking that feelings of nausea and malaise were due to dehydration, the runner could end up with seizures or slip into a coma, doctors say.

That is what happened to Mark Robinson, a 27-year-old computer programmer from West Roxbury, Mass., who sees his story as a cautionary tale.

The day of the 2004 Boston Marathon dawned unusually hot. The race was on April 19, but the temperature was projected to reach nearly 90 degrees. Robinson was concerned. It was his first marathon, he had been training for six months, and he wanted to run it in four hours or less. "I sweat a lot," he said. With weather like that, he worried he might become dehydrated. So he tried to make sure he drank enough.

"I drank more than a gallon of water before the race, and then at every rest stop I would stop and have a couple of drinks of water," he said. He was on pace until Mile 19 when, suddenly, he felt nauseous and his legs began to cramp. He forced himself to continue, but by Mile 23 he could no longer run. "I tried to power-walk it in," Robinson said.

His parents met him at the finish line, bringing water. He drank two quarts, but he felt worse than ever. Not only was he vomiting and having diarrhea, Robinson said, but "I felt spacey, out of it, almost like I was on drugs."

His parents got a wheelchair and took him to the medical tent, where the person doing triage at the entrance asked if he could stand on his own. He could. He said he was told, "We have people here who are lying down," and was sent away. His parents helped him walk to the subway and took him to their home in Wayland, Mass. All the while, Robinson was drinking water and drinking Gatorade and vomiting.

Robinson said: "I felt completely mentally out of it. It was a strange sensation. Deep down, I knew something really, really wasn't right. It was like a feeling of impending doom. My father wanted me to take a bath, but I didn't want to be alone. I looked at my dad and he was talking and his mouth was kind of going," but, Robinson said, he could no longer hear what his father was saying.

Suddenly, Robinson screamed, leaped into the air, and fell down on his shoulder, breaking it. He lay on the floor, unconscious and no longer breathing.

His mother called 911 and a helicopter arrived. On the flight to Boston Medical Center, Robinson received intravenous fluids; the medical team thought he was dehydrated.

He ended up in a coma, on life support, and woke up four days later. His problem? Hyponatremia - poisoned by drinking too much water.

Robinson still runs, but much shorter distances. "I'll never run a long race again," he said. And forget marathons, he added. "My wife would never give me permission," he said.

Dr. Paul Thompson, a cardiologist, a marathon runner and a director of the Athletes' Heart program at Hartford Hospital, said: "Everyone's been told to drink water, drink water, drink water. Water companies want you to drink water like a fish. Then you dilute your blood and your brain starts to swell. You have healthy people running marathons and dying. Has the word gotten out? No."

Even now, more than a year later, Robinson says he is still shaken from his near-death experience after the Boston Marathon. "You would never, ever think that water could kill you," he said.

There's so much talk of this, but I naively thought it was much ado abot nothing. 350 people hospitalized is way more than I would have guessed.

Dan DeMaio
---------------------------------------------------------
Life is like riding a bicycle.
To keep your balance you must keep moving.
- Albert Einstein
Quote Reply
Re: Hyponatremia article in NYT [tryemdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup. Now everybody's looking for hyponaetremia.

Just wait until somebody dies of dehydration. Then the pendulum will swing back.

Like what you read here? Read more at Crosseyed and Painless or Duathlonblog.

"We used to run Bstone prototypes into 3-foot-high cement walls to see what it took to bend them. If that sounds like crazy-good fun, it wasn't. Everybody wanted to watch, nobody wanted to ride, so we took turns."
--Rivendell Reader 36
Quote Reply
Re: Hyponatremia article in NYT [kemptonslim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's all about extremes. A GALLON of water before the race?!?!?!?!? Drink a gallon of anything before a marathon and you'll be in a bit of trouble.

It's all about common sense. He obviously had no idea about his sweat rate or he wouldn't have been so apprehensive.

In addition, 8 oz every 20 minutes in a hot marathon....have the ambulance ready with several IV bags by mile 14 cause that's about where I'd collapse of DEHYDRATION.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the times publishes a similar article every year before the marathon. sells newspapers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

more reasons to drink more beer. Beer contains water yet causes dehydration, perfect balance!
Quote Reply
Re: Hyponatremia article in NYT [one_lap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I think the times publishes a similar article every year before the marathon. sells newspapers."

Pretty much.

If you recall, they also published a lot of articles about weapons of mass destruction in Iraq.

The author ended up in jail for awhile in an unrelated matter. You may have heard something about it.

Like what you read here? Read more at Crosseyed and Painless or Duathlonblog.

"We used to run Bstone prototypes into 3-foot-high cement walls to see what it took to bend them. If that sounds like crazy-good fun, it wasn't. Everybody wanted to watch, nobody wanted to ride, so we took turns."
--Rivendell Reader 36
Last edited by: kemptonslim: Oct 20, 05 6:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it just me or wouldn't the fact that you were having to hit every Port-O-Let in sight clue you in that you needed to quit drinking so much?
Quote Reply
Re: Hyponatremia article in NYT [Jon499] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]In addition, 8 oz every 20 minutes in a hot marathon....have the ambulance ready with several IV bags by mile 14 cause that's about where I'd collapse of DEHYDRATION.....[/reply]

No kidding. That advice from the "doctor" is about as retarded as drinking a gallon before the race. On a hot, humid day I just break even on the bike at about 12oz per 20 mins. I'd be heading for the med tent after 3 hours on 8oz/20mins.

Mad
Quote Reply
Re: Hyponatremia article in NYT [Jon499] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its not so much about knowing your sweat rate as knowing what rate your body can process the fluids. I would bet that if you were well hydrated prior to the race (and I"m not talking about chugging a gallon like this guy) and took in 8 oz/20 minutes you would be fine.

http://www.e-caps.com/za/ECP?PAGE=ARTICLE&ARTICLE.ID=299&OMI=&AMI=&RETURN_URL=%2Fza%2FECP%3FPAGE%3DENDURANCE_LIBRARY%26OMI%3D%26AMI%3D&RETURN_TEXT=Endurance%20Library
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
O.K., o.k., aside from this one guy -

Don't you think that the 1% affected seems kind of high? And the quote in the article states that this is a low figure, comparatively.

It's easy to monday-morning quarterback this guy's hydration "plan" as a recipe for disaster. I was just surprised by the occurrence of hyponatremia, as it's typically illustrated as a "what could happen in the extreme scenario."

Maybe it's not so "extreme" after all.

Dan DeMaio
---------------------------------------------------------
Life is like riding a bicycle.
To keep your balance you must keep moving.
- Albert Einstein
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I see a lot of people heading out on sprint tri bike legs of around 10 miles with two full water bottles. It wouldn't take long to over-hydrate if you had a longer race at that rate...
Last edited by: kdw: Oct 20, 05 12:01
Quote Reply
Re: Hyponatremia article in NYT [hugh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Is it just me or wouldn't the fact that you were having to hit every Port-O-Let in sight clue you in that you needed to quit drinking so much?
I've read that part of the problem is you don't necessarily have to pee -- when you are exercising intensely your kidneys can only process so much fluid. instead it's staying in your bloodstream and cells.
Quote Reply
Re: Hyponatremia article in NYT [kemptonslim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"I think the times publishes a similar article every year before the marathon. sells newspapers."

Pretty much.

If you recall, they also published a lot of articles about weapons of mass destruction in Iraq.

The author ended up in jail for awhile in an unrelated matter. You may have heard something about it.
In defense of The New York Times, the newsworthiness of the article was that this is the first year that the participant handbook is discussing hyponatremia.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think we over simplify what's happening here and just blame it on drinking too much water. It's actually a combination of electrolyte imbalance in the body, along with vigorous physical activity the inability of the body to process the input and the mind driving us beyond normal limits. Example, if you were just sitting around the house and drank not one but two or even three gallons of liquid each day, about the only thing you would be doing is spending most of your day on the toilet. The body has a built-in mechanism to keep it's hydrolysis stable. It's ONLY when you overburden the system with extreme environmental conditions, extended vigorous activity and mental capacity to push yourself beyond normal limits that you run into problems. There are many examples of athletes throughout history who have pushed their bodies beyond normal limits and have either died or had major medical problems. Sometimes the mind can overpower all body function safeguards.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This article is typical of the sensationalistic malarky that the NYT loves to propagate. I had to laugh at this statement:

"There are no reported cases of dehydration causing death in the history of world running," Maharam said. "But there are plenty of cases of people dying of hyponatremia."

Now I would love to see the research that this quack did to back up that statement. A quick Google search comes up with people who actually have died from dehydration due to running:

http://www.transitiontimes.com/viewstory.cfm?ID=7588

I'm not saying that hyponatremia is not an issue but an doctor who makes utterly absurd statements like this needs to be publically flagellated.

I also find the statement that 1% of the 35,000 runners last year were hospitalized with hyponatremia to be equally outlandish. That's 350. If 350 people were hospitalized last year for any and all reasons, that would have caused a massive news story in the running world. It also would greatly have taxed the NYC hospitals. I know plenty of people who work in the NYC hospitals and not a single one reported that their ERs looked like MASH last year. I wonder how many total people the author believes were hospitalized. 700? 1,000? Why didn't she just go for the jugular and say all 35,000? The editors are supposed to review the articles before they are printed to filter out information that is completely ridiculous and 100% wrong. Someone's head should be rolling here.
Quote Reply
Re: Hyponatremia article in NYT [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i didn't see any quotes from this putz about how the number of cases of hyponatremia in this year's nyc marathon fell off a cliff as compared to last year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HBO sports just did a whole piece on this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Noaks makes a similar observation in the Lore of Running. He claims that most people that have problems in the heat continue to sweat. Deaths from running in the heat are mostly from heat illnesses not dehydration.

But to make a statement that there are no deaths due to dehydration is pretty bold.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In WWII the army had a bunch of guys running around the mojave desert to test the limits of dehydration. What they found was that when the soldier became dehydrated he would just sit down and couldn't continue. With a very modest amount of water and a very brief wait, they could continue.
If one becomes dehydrated enough and has no access to water, death becomes possible. It is likely easier to overheat at the limits of dehyration in a very hot environment.
If water is available, dehyration is much less likely to result in serious a problem than hyponatremia.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply