Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What really is the purpose of USCF and TT'ing?
Quote | Reply
In all seriousness, what purpose do current USCF categories have in TT racing? TT results do not count for upgrade points, so so certain riders stay in lower categories (legally) so they can contest state / national champ jerseys no matter how long it takes. I know of cat 4 riders that have 70+ races and lots of wins but still stay put. On the other hand, just because you're in Mr. Studley TT's age group doesn't mean that it is fun racing him either. It seems that if USCF made TT results count, forced upgrades, and ditched the age group racing, that categories would sort themselves out. In road and crit racing age group could still exist because a 50 year old doesn't necessarily want to be banging bars with an 18 year old. In TT racing, safety is not really a concern. Wouldn't TT racing be better if raced with rules like this?
Quote Reply
Re: What really is the purpose of USCF and TT'ing? [ErnieK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In all seriousness, what purpose do current USCF categories have in TT racing? TT results do not count for upgrade points, so so certain riders stay in lower categories (legally) so they can contest state / national champ jerseys no matter how long it takes. I know of cat 4 riders that have 70+ races and lots of wins but still stay put. On the other hand, just because you're in Mr. Studley TT's age group doesn't mean that it is fun racing him either. It seems that if USCF made TT results count, forced upgrades, and ditched the age group racing, that categories would sort themselves out. In road and crit racing age group could still exist because a 50 year old doesn't necessarily want to be banging bars with an 18 year old. In TT racing, safety is not really a concern. Wouldn't TT racing be better if raced with rules like this?
That's why many/most TTs are age categorized, not Category categorized :-), at least around here.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the problem would be the 1/2 category would be huge if mandatory upgrades were enforced; with all of the t/t'ing talent that is out there.
Quote Reply
Re: What really is the purpose of USCF and TT'ing? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I don't really like the age group categories, absolutely too much talent spread. Category racing is pretty much defunct because nobody upgrades because they don't have to. I think when there is a problem with category racing it ends up affecting the desirability of bicycle racing to newcomers. I think that people who haul ass should not be in cat 4/5's. And people who put up pro level times should not be racing in 3's.
Quote Reply
Re: What really is the purpose of USCF and TT'ing? [viking1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Isn't that the point, newcomers racing newcomers, and fast guys racing fast guys. Right now, I can either race age group or category, some guys gravitate towards age group and some towards category. All that does is thin the fields and make the bottom categories more difficult than they should be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I do agree with your theory. Are you racing in so.cal? If so, I am too and I know how frustrating it is with the categories.

I just have gotten to a point where I race against myself and have personal goals that I make(as far as time and average speeds).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If all you do is TTs, using the cat system is strange but looking at from the USCF side, it makes perfect sense. Admittedly, a huge percentage of folks at a TT are not mass start racers but since the bike clubs put on the races, they get to do it their way.

Many USCF santioned TTs count for points towards some sort of race series championship so that is a major factor in why they are scored that way. Since the bike racer guys go head to head in crits and road races based on their category, they are not interested in changing their system for the TTs because using the category system means they get to TT against the same folks they race against the rest of the season.

Not counting TT races for upgrades prevents someone who has only done TTs doing his first mass start race as a cat 2 which would defeat the whole purpose of the system.
Quote Reply
Re: What really is the purpose of USCF and TT'ing? [viking1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yep racing in socal cat 3. I like to focus on crits, so cat 3 is good and closely grouped. TT seems SO spread out.
Quote Reply
Re: What really is the purpose of USCF and TT'ing? [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with you. I was thinking that it could easily be separated like it is with mtn, road/crit, and track. Why not TT as well as it's own ranking?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's so I can declare myself King of the Dipshits when I win the Cat 5 division in a TT. ;)

Like what you read here? Read more at Crosseyed and Painless or Duathlonblog.

"We used to run Bstone prototypes into 3-foot-high cement walls to see what it took to bend them. If that sounds like crazy-good fun, it wasn't. Everybody wanted to watch, nobody wanted to ride, so we took turns."
--Rivendell Reader 36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't race much at all. Decided to do a few TTs this year. Did the state TT championship. It was confusing as hell.

I'm 49. I'm a Cat. 5 'cuz I hardly ever race. My time was a full minute faster than any other Cat. 5, but I didn't win in Cat. 5. My time was the fastest of anyone in the 45-49 age group, but I didn't win there, either. I got second in the 50 to 54 age group. That's where they put me 'cuz that's my "racing age."

Whatever. At least I didn't get DQ'd for some wierd thing and I didn't have to pee in a cup.

Bob C.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My thought has been that there should be separate categorization for TTs just like there is for track racing vs. road.

The only "gotcha" for that is how to handle TTs within a stage race. However, it would probably be easy to just have an exception so that when doing a TT within a stage race, you race in your road category.

Just my 2 pesos.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: What really is the purpose of USCF and TT'ing? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably not a bad idea to have TT as a seperate category like track. The problem is a lot of the guys who really focus on the TT's cant upgrade because they dont race enough on the road to get their points. I know someone who is a Cat 4 but can out TT the 3's and a lot of the 1/2's. He doesnt have a clue in road races and will bury himself at the front while everyone else just sits on. It is also hard if you arent a good finishing sprinter or climber to finish in the points. I have also noted that the 4 and 5 racers and to a lesser extent the 3's are less likely to let a breakaway go up the road.
Quote Reply
Re: What really is the purpose of USCF and TT'ing? [flying wombat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Each style of racing has it's own intricacies and should be addressed as being different. I've just started racing track and it's evident that even though I can hold my own in the 3's in a crit, I would have no business in racing 3's on the track. That's what is so cool about bike racing, is there are so many different style of racing that appeal to people. That's why it seems to me that TT racing kindof suffers for new comers more than other types of racing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not all TT races are USCF sanctioned, however for Masters racing, I think it is a good thing

there is little support for TT racing in the US as compare to the UK

I try to do my part
Quote Reply